collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Summer wing removal  (Read 768 times)

Karebearcntdwn

• Trade Count: (0)
Summer wing removal
« on: December 31, 2015, 07:44:36 AM »
I recently acquired a summer wing, little flitter I believe. Unfortunately her wings have been cut off down to her body and now they are just nubs. Does anyone know how to remove the yellow piece that holds them in, or if it's even possible? I have found that wingers wings are actually just one continuous piece of plastic that is held on by the center piece so I can't just use pliers or tweezers on them. Any suggestions on how to take them off and what kind of plastic to use for replacements?

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Summer wing removal
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 10:05:56 AM »
I've taken several windy and summer wings apart, and there are several ways you can do this.. each way you need to get the back piece loose enough..

The back piece is held with a bit of glue that can be a pain in the tail but it also has another piece of rubber/plastic that is glued onto the stopper on the inside of the pony. If you don't want to take her head off, it's best to try and soften the plastic around the stopper and try to get it loose.. then use small scissors to cut the wing plastic and simply remove it.

The other way(s) require you to remove her head. I've had cases where I had these guys sitting in hot water (from the stove or microwave) and it was enough to get the stopper piece out with some effort. Either the whole thing comes out (stopper and the plastic ring-ish piece that holds it) or the plastic ring-ish piece slips right off. If it does come off you will need to use something like small wire cutters to get that little piece off.. Just whatever you do... DON'T cut the stem of the stopper XD

It's not really easy for me to explain how this is done, even though I've done it several times.. By the way, if you opt for the non-head removal, here is an idea of what the wings look like under the stopper (the section where the holes are :P)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Karebearcntdwn

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »
Ah so there IS glue! I was hoping that was the case, it was either that or I'm insanely weak lol. I'll try the hot water, hopefully it'll come off with some muscle. If not I am no stranger to decapitating a pony to fix tail rust lol. Thank you so much! Do you have any insight on the plastic for new wings? I know it has to be rigid and thin, but other than that I'm not to sure what to use hehe.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »
There is glue! It's also quite easy to break the peg as well.

Those wings are lovely SD ^.^

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 10:30:05 AM »
Ah so there IS glue! I was hoping that was the case, it was either that or I'm insanely weak lol. I'll try the hot water, hopefully it'll come off with some muscle. If not I am no stranger to decapitating a pony to fix tail rust lol. Thank you so much! Do you have any insight on the plastic for new wings? I know it has to be rigid and thin, but other than that I'm not to sure what to use hehe.
Well the most common type of plastic is transparency sheet. There is a great tutorial over in customs on it. The ones I made up there is made out of three things: A transparency sheet, transparent sticker paper, and laminate sheeting for kitchen and craft.

I'm looking into other methods still because the issue with custom wings for windy/summer wing ponies is that the materials may come apart and bubble with in that middle section.

There is glue! It's also quite easy to break the peg as well.

Those wings are lovely SD ^.^

Love pkw xxx
Thank you PKW <3 I'm still trying to decide on custom designs for some of them
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Karebearcntdwn

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »
Ah thank you very much, I'll have to look around the stores for some of those sheets.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »
Yes as has been mentioned it is possible to remove the section with some care and as long as you dont mind having to glue everthing back together again.

Here is an old tutorial which shows you the steps  - http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Bephany/library/customs/winger%20tutorial/
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal