collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: White hair gone yellow with age?  (Read 666 times)

Emerald

• Trade Count: (0)
White hair gone yellow with age?
« on: December 24, 2015, 02:10:09 PM »
I have a beautiful Wigwam who had tail rust so bad that I had to make him a replacement tail. I used Virgin Snow from DollyHair after it was recommended by a few people here. The hair came in today and I made his tail but it doesn't match his mane. His mane has a definite yellow tint. I'm assuming it's because of his age (I have no other white haired G1 ponies so I have nobody to compare this to) and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this happening to G1 ponies and if there are any remedies?

His mismatched tail is driving me crazy and it's only been ~installed~ for a couple of minutes.  :lol:

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: White hair gone yellow with age?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 02:22:44 PM »
Yep, I think a slightly yellowed white is normal, but also the tail rust could have stained his mane slightly, if the rust was that bad!(did he have rust all over the inside?). There used to be a suggested color to match it, but I can't find it listed anymore.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Emerald

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 02:33:23 PM »
The inside of his head is pristine and the plugs in there actually look brighter than the hair on the outside. It's super weird. If I can't fix his mane maybe I'll try to find a match for his blue streak and just give him a blue tail. I'm never going to sell him anyway so why not? Maybe that's the answer.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 02:42:43 PM by Emerald »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 06:30:34 PM »
Hmm. If its not the rust, then sunlight might do it maybe? I dunno, all my girls with white hair have white hair. None of them have yellowed hair.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 01:11:52 AM »
Hmm, interesting!  Have you tried washing his hair?  Maybe it's just dirty.  It's also possible that his hair just has a natural hint of yellow compared to the replacement color.  He has the same color hair as all other white-haired ponies, AFAIK, but it's not a super "stark" white.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Emerald

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 09:14:10 AM »
He's been washed multiple times. I guess this is just how he's going t be now.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 11:02:23 AM »
I've been able to sunfade hair that's been stained from mildew, but if it's possible sun caused the hair to yellow in the first place, trying that might not be a good idea. Maybe you could test in on a small portion of his mane if you wanted to try it?

Emerald

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 11:12:06 AM »
I think I'm going to try to match his blue streak and eventually give him a blue tail and use this virgin snow tail for another pony in the future.

Karebearcntdwn

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 04:47:35 PM »
I had this problem with a powder I wanted to sell. Her washer was so rusted it made her tail look as though it had a red streak in it. What I did was place the tail in concentrated oxyclean and left it there for 8 hours. After that I took a soft bristle toothbrush and scrubbed the tail with the oxyclean still on it. It made the tail whiter and got rid of all the rust stains completely. I did this with a tail of a whizzer as well and had the same results.
I would suggest maybe soaking his head in oxyclean and letting it sit there for as long as your patience holds out, then take it out and scrub the hair with a toothbrush. If you try this please let me know if it works for you!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 05:10:04 AM »
The Dollyhair is a match for what Hasbro use on their ponies...NOW. It's not necessarily what they used way back in the 1980s. Certainly, in the case of ponies here, there are a range of different hair types and textures being tried out and used through the G1 line. Later G1 ponies and earlier ones don't always have the same hair.

In terms of white, I remember that Love Token has extremely white hair, but not all ponies with 'white' have the same starkness of shade. Wigwam is also a Hong Kong pony, while Love Token is made in China. We're talking multiple batches, multiple factories and multiple fibres over the years. The G3 ponies don't have the same hair as G1, either, albeit it's very similar.

I think that this is probably a case of hair mismatch, depending how bad Wigwam's colour is. Hasbro don't actually know what they made in G1 for the most part. In the mid 1990s I wrote to both Hasbro UK and Hasbro UK and while Hasbro UK could give me some info, Hasbro US knew nothing about their pony line at all until G2.

It's perfectly possible that fibre changes happened, especially considering how easily certain G3 pony hair fibres break compared with their G1 counterparts.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Emerald

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 06:34:44 AM »
I had no idea that matches for the new hair you can buy are supposed to be official matches that came from the company that made the ponies. I figured it was guess work from fans. Now it's even more confusing that they say there are any matches. Wouldn't it be easier to just be like "Idk"? lol

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 04:11:48 PM »
Unfortunately this is pretty normal. While the hair you buy from sites like DollyHair are from the same suppliers, we are talking about 30 years of difference in manufacture. I work in marketing and product development...sometimes we are lucky to make something the same a couple of months apart :P Most colours have a minor difference - part due to manufacture, part due to the aging process, part due to the colours changing deliberately by the supplier.

White hair will age and will loose some of its original colour - in the case of white hair its normally minor yellowing or even a greyish tinge.

I am sure he looks great :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 05:14:35 PM »
My all white G3 blank has yellowed hair, and it's stained her body with a yellowish tint in spots, too. :(
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

gussiegus

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 05:27:53 PM »
You could try soaking the mane in Oxiclean; if it is a stain that could brighten it. Otherwise, try rehairing the mane! Once you figure out how to do it, it's a lot of fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal