collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How would you cope with almost total bed rest?  (Read 2915 times)

Offline daisyd

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Daisy's Crazy Crafts
How would you cope with almost total bed rest?
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:22:52 PM »
I have been instructed by my GP to get into bed and stay there. Arghh. I am being very naughty by being up and typing this.....hopefully I'll be able to borrow a laptop in the next couple of days so I can browse the interwebz from bed.

I am MEANT to be lying almost completely flat with my feet raised above the level of my heart. And I did manage that for quite a bit of time yesterday but I am dying of boredom.....I tried reading, but I can't really do that comfortably while lying down, as I tend to lie on my side while reading in bed, and if I turn on my side I can't flex my body to get the feet into the correct position.

And the bare idea of a whole day of daytime TV makes me want to cry into a bucket  :cry: especially as I'm supposed to be doing this for about four to five weeks.

Any ideas of stuff I can do to make time fly rather than creep are most welcome!
Thank you *wyvernchick* for my lovely avvie!

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
Re: How would you cope with almost total bed rest?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:35:31 PM »
Time to catch up on some good books
Do word and number puzzles (sudoku)
once you get a lap top, invest in one of those on-line movie stores (netflix, amazon prime are examples here in the US)
learn how to knit or crochet

wow, 4-5 weeks of bed rest, good luck
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 12:06:56 AM »
I wouldn't be coping too well either, I hope sneaking out of bed doesn't damage your condition, I know I would probably break myself by continuously trying to live my regular life. I could lie in bed all day by choice, but as soon as someone tells me I have to stay still, it's time to get up and do everything!

I agree with a lot of jrr74's points. I love knitting, crochet and cross stitch, and working away at them can give you a sense of accomplishment for your hours sitting still. Origami is good too, but probably a bit harder to manage from the bed. Handheld video games if you like them, I know I can play life simulators like Animal Crossing endlessly. If there's a movie or TV series you've been meaning to watch or return to, now is the ideal time! You could spend a whole 12 hours watching the extended cuts of Lord of the Rings? :P Good luck for the next few weeks.

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 02:43:08 AM »
This is an idea that would require some creativity, but can you get a kindle and see if a stand or holder exists?  I have a giant lamp at home (one of the ones like in the Pixar credits that has a heavy base and can be repositioned easily) maybe you could rig up a tablet to one of those so it hangs right above your head!

If it were me I'd probably be getting into a really long novel series, like Lord of the Rings, Game of thrones, Harry Potter etc, if I could figure out a way to do it  with my head on a pillow!

It sucks that you have to be bedridden for so long.  I hope it helps with your condition so at least you get the benefit! 

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 03:47:37 AM »
sometimes I can manage reading if I lay on my stomach, but from memory you're expecting (sorry if I've not got the right person!!) so that won't work! For me it would be telly all the way, but hubby has attached a plasma to the wall at the end of the bed, with cable, so that's convenient for me! I also love to snuggle and play my DS, so I do that, read on my kindle and play phone games a lot, unless I'm tired... because dropping a phone/tablet or handheld game console on your face because you fell asleep holding it HURTS!

Actually, audiobooks would work great for you, as would listening to music, especially if you have a laptop handy to search out some new stuff to kill the time, although most albums last an hour or so, so even tried and true kills some time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 05:01:04 AM »
maybe play some hand held video games?

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

AutisticandProudLuna

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 05:22:05 AM »
I'm mostly bed-ridden (almost entirely house-ridden) due to fatigue/chronic illness stuff, so I definitely relate! Coloring books are nice if you can reach them, and you can make them a great investment by photocopying the pages to color or just print pages online. The ultra-detained adult marketed ones would take a while to get through. Making wish lists, like on Amazon, is really fun to me, or going through websites of all your favorite toys and marking the ones you'd most love to find. Tumblr is a huge time-eater depending on what you follow and there are lots of blogs about toys etc. same with Pinterest! Pinterest is also generally safer and easy to get started on imo. There is also reading fanfic online, and journaling (journal prompts is something you can search on google or pinterest.) Personally I can spend forever on dress-up doll games! Some of my favorites are the new Gemsona Maker http://www.dolldivine.com/gemsona-maker.php and any by this artist http://www.missangestgames.com/ both of them have awesome diversity!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 07:29:01 AM »
Reading?

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 07:54:09 AM »
My sympathy!  Just thinking of being stuck in bed makes me anxious! Do you like writing?  Maybe you could write a story about ponies or make a treatise on you political opinions.

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
I cant even imagine how hard this is without a laptop. I think it will be challenging but you could do books on tape, like audible. Try to install a tv/tablet above you for easier movie/show watching. If you like gaming maybe a 3ds and some video games, I know I would be doing that. Reading is good too, but maybe prop your hands up with a big pillow so your arms don't get too tired. I think the laptop will be your saving grace since you can put it in a position where you can see the screen but the angle will be good for lying down.
I think these are all great suggestions though.

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »
If it's going to be for that long (and you have the space) you might be able to speak to the district nurse and arrange for a hospital bed. Might make it easier to raise your legs. Just a thought :) Plus they would be able to advise if there are any aids you can get to make you more comfortable - such as a wedge shaped pillow or blocks to put the end of your bed on.
Don't diss daytime tele :) Well, it's ok if you don't have to watch it forever and you pick and choose what to watch. Doctors for example is actually a really good show and will be back in the new year. Plus I don't see why you can't timetable your day. Break it up a bit. Like do half an hour of reading then half an hour of tele etc to make sure you don't get bored doing just one thing.
Other things I've learned is that is you need a snooze don't do it too late in the day. It's best to wake up before it gets dark and having natural light (if you can find any!) is good.
I hope it goes ok. It must be a daunting thought.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 05:33:58 PM »
By going stark raving mad.  Kindle Fire/Kindle app on iPad/laptop.  I don't think there is one for the various gaming systems yet.  Anypony know?  Agree that Pinterest can nom up the hours, in my case Wikipedia does too.  I look up one thing and it leads to a bazillion others. 
:socks:   :frog:

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 07:25:23 PM »
Here are some ideas:

-- Netflix
-- Favorite DVDs or series / series you've wanted to see but haven't had time for
-- Handheld games (a solid turn based one like Fire Emblem Awakening would be my pick, but your mileage my vary)
-- Audiobooks (reading without having to worry about position)
-- Kindle paperwhite (has a built in nightlight if audio books aren't for you)
-- Youtube videos or podcasts
-- Music from an iPod or streaming service
-- Setting up skype and 'visiting' with friends without needing to lift a finger
-- Laptop, phone, or tablet for getting online and accessing anything else needed.

I had a really rough winter last year. My knees and ankles were badly messed up with an arthritis flare up and I couldn't easily move for several weeks. I didn't have to lie on my stomach, but until I came up with some solutions, staying sane by staying busy was hard. I hope some of the above helps.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 09:27:26 PM »
I've been reading while laying on my back my whole life, so I've probably developed just the right arm muscles to do that... maybe you can prop a book on your chest? Most of what I would suggest would involve having a laptop, a book, or a handheld game system. The last time I was bedridden long-term I watched a TV show on DVD from my laptop (I do have Netflix but I had a bad internet situation at the time and didn't want to deal with that). If you can get a laptop to use I would recommend that.

If you can get someone nice to find you a used gameboy or DS and a few games, that could be an easy way to pass the time (Gameboy Advanced and original DS systems are pretty cheap and are actually frequently found at thrift stores -- or you could find someone to loan you one, perhaps?).

Writing and coloring are really hard to do while laying flat on your back. If you are allowed to sit up then you could do something of that nature with a lap table... I have written in a notebook held up in the air (again, I think I have the right muscles built up), but that's impossible with a pen (pens require gravity to work) -- make sure you have pencils handy!

You could also try something crafty like knitting on a knitting loop, or latch hook. Those aren't too hard to do while laying down...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 10:59:52 PM »
I'd be bored to tears. Hope you feel better soon. Reading, crosswords, videogames, movies.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:17:26 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal