collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are "Dollar General" ponies?  (Read 679 times)

Illumideer

• Trade Count: (0)
What are "Dollar General" ponies?
« on: December 06, 2015, 04:22:13 PM »
Ok, so I know they're fakies but why are they in so many shades/hues? Why does everyone(Fakie collectors) want them? Are they old or vintage? Please! I think they're adorable!  I just want to know more about them.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What are "Dollar General" ponies?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 04:49:52 PM »
They're modern knock-offs using a vintage 80's newborn pony mould.  There's no particular reason there's so many colours other than, one would imagine, it's an easy way to give variety to a product rather than the more expensive option of varied paint/poses.  They're popular for customs since they use an original pose, and that's part of what makes them popular for fakie collectors too I imagine.  Most original fakie moulds aren't as cute as the Hasbro ones.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Illumideer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 05:26:34 PM »
They're modern knock-offs using a vintage 80's newborn pony mould.  There's no particular reason there's so many colours other than, one would imagine, it's an easy way to give variety to a product rather than the more expensive option of varied paint/poses.  They're popular for customs since they use an original pose, and that's part of what makes them popular for fakie collectors too I imagine.  Most original fakie moulds aren't as cute as the Hasbro ones.
Thank you!! That makes alot of sense (: one other question,  sorry!, but do you know if they are still sold in stores?

Offline Wind~Whistler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • You got a twinkle in your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 05:31:33 PM »
There is actually a series of G3 ponies sold at DG so they are also called "Dollar General Ponies" by collectors  :lol:
AKA Wind~Whistler on the TP 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://www.ponylandtours.com
Thanks to Philly for my avi!

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Trade Count: (+99)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 11:18:30 PM »
I don't believe the original G1 baby fakies are sold in the stores anymore. I don't think they have been for many years. I could be wrong though. I collected quite a few to use for customs myself.

Click banner for my customs gallery.

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 11:23:07 PM »
I don't believe the original G1 baby fakies are sold in the stores anymore. I don't think they have been for many years. I could be wrong though. I collected quite a few to use for customs myself.

I bought some g1 fancypants fakies a year ago but that was Walgreens I think. Not well versed on fakies so you may be talking about something completely different though.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
no, the DG babies are not currently available in stores.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal