collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Curious about...G1 Sparkle MOs!  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Curious about...G1 Sparkle MOs!
« on: November 28, 2015, 07:03:36 PM »
So.. I was thinking about adding the mail order Sparkle ponies to my herd... ^.^  :P  :blush: Not *seriously* looking at the moment, but curious about price points and who is more htf (order from like most common to htf). It will be good to know for future reference.  :)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
Re: Curious about...G1 Sparkle MOs!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 08:27:22 PM »
Be patient...they can go from the $10s up to $50 something.  I recently made a foolish purchase and paid double what one was going at a BIN price.  Sometimes sellers do not even realize their sparkle pony is the MO version.  Heck, I did not know there was a MO version until I bought one earlier this year and saw that it had a symbol on its cheek whereas my other one did not  :blush:

Post Merge: November 28, 2015, 08:32:27 PM

I would have to say Hopper is probably the hardest to find
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:32:27 PM by jrr74 »
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 07:47:07 AM »
I have a spare MO Sunspot. Ahem

...What I've noticed is that quite often the MO ones have cloudier bodies than the store ones. The worst one for me to find, both in terms of rarity and in terms of proving she was an MO, was Twinkler. The symbol on her cheek is literally TINY:
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Can you even see it in that picture? It is there but seriously O.o.

I also realised that, probably because there were multiple issues, there are also variations within the MO release. This illustrates it best:
Spoiler
(far right is obviously store sold one). I bought a lot of MO Sparkle Ponies to get Stardancer and Sky Rocket but when I got it I realised the Star Hopper in it was completely different from the one I had so O.o.

I actually think Twinkler is the hardest to find, followed by Sky Rocket. Star Hopper is popular but easy to spot so that puts her price up sometimes I think. And yeah, as I said, variations. Star Dancer and Napper seem the most common to me. I see a lot of Star Dancers, but often not in good condition for some reason...

In terms of price, they do seem to fluctuate depending on pony and condition, around the $15-30ish mark so far as I can tell...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 08:07:12 AM »
Thank you jr and taffeta!

Oh wow, I had no clue on prices.. I assumed that MO Star Hopper would be the most common, followed by Napper..I've seen Star Hopper pop up every now and then.. I've also seen her price go crazy.. I wonder why their bodies are more cloudy.. Are they more prone to issues?
I would love to see more pics of the others Taffeta!  :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:21:36 AM »
I think I have added pics of them all now, so if you click on each pony for her page, the MO are pictured towards the bottom of each page:

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/1988_sparkleponies.htm

I don't know why they're cloudy. I think it's to do with the plastic, though not deterioration. Like there are differing levels of opacity in Glowing Magic Pony bodies, too. The MO Sparkles did come out first, I think, so they wouldve been different batch.

Twinkler was the one that took me the longest to track down. Sky Rocket the second hardest. Stardancer it was finding one in good condition. Sunspot it was waiting for one with pink hair, not faded. Star Hopper and Napper I didn't find a problem with, but Star Hopper has become pretty popular for some unknown reason which puts her price up. I genuinely think she's more common than the others, and easier to spot, but price and rarity don't always match up.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 08:44:49 AM »
I think I have added pics of them all now, so if you click on each pony for her page, the MO are pictured towards the bottom of each page:

I don't know why they're cloudy. I think it's to do with the plastic, though not deterioration. Like there are differing levels of opacity in Glowing Magic Pony bodies, too. The MO Sparkles did come out first, I think, so they wouldve been different batch.

Twinkler was the one that took me the longest to track down. Sky Rocket the second hardest. Stardancer it was finding one in good condition. Sunspot it was waiting for one with pink hair, not faded. Star Hopper and Napper I didn't find a problem with, but Star Hopper has become pretty popular for some unknown reason which puts her price up. I genuinely think she's more common than the others, and easier to spot, but price and rarity don't always match up.

Omg, you are the creator of the Scrapbook?! That's so awesome!  :biggrin: I've been to your site before numerous times, just never on the Sparkle pony pages! Hehe...  ^.^ :blush: :P  :frolic:
Now I can put two and two together!  :biggrin: You have done an amazing job with the site.  :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 08:48:30 AM »

Omg, you are the creator of the Scrapbook?! That's so awesome!  :biggrin: I've been to your site before numerous times, just never on the Sparkle pony pages! Hehe...  ^.^ :blush: :P  :frolic:
Now I can put two and two together!  :biggrin: You have done an amazing job with the site.  :)

Thank you :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 08:55:03 AM »
I think they just discolor easily.  The "darker" Sparkle ponies are generally hard as a rock, so I think something happens to the plastic over time. It does seem more prevalent on the mail orders, but the storebought ponies can discolor to the same shade or, more rarely, you'll find a non-discolored mail order.

The most dramatic I ever saw was a Napper (can't remember if she was mail order or not) who had changed to brown.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 09:23:51 AM »

Oh wow, I had no clue on prices.. I assumed that MO Star Hopper would be the most common, followed by Napper..I've seen Star Hopper pop up every now and then.. I've also seen her price go crazy.. I wonder why their bodies are more cloudy.. Are they more prone to issues?

I once got into an insane bidding war on eBay for MO Star Hopper. She went up over $60, at which point I was like "nah, that's ok." I can't remember how much I paid for her when I did track her down. I remember her and Napper were the last ones I got, and it took me a while to track Napper down in decent shape at a good price. Maybe these two are tricky because they have different hair colors than the store versions?
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »
I think they just discolor easily.  The "darker" Sparkle ponies are generally hard as a rock, so I think something happens to the plastic over time. It does seem more prevalent on the mail orders, but the storebought ponies can discolor to the same shade or, more rarely, you'll find a non-discolored mail order.

The most dramatic I ever saw was a Napper (can't remember if she was mail order or not) who had changed to brown.
Eww..
That one is a nappy Napper!  :P

Post Merge: November 29, 2015, 10:24:13 AM

I once got into an insane bidding war on eBay for MO Star Hopper. She went up over $60, at which point I was like "nah, that's ok." I can't remember how much I paid for her when I did track her down. I remember her and Napper were the last ones I got, and it took me a while to track Napper down in decent shape at a good price. Maybe these two are tricky because they have different hair colors than the store versions?

Yeah, perhaps.. I wondered why they have different colored hair than their store counterparts..  :wonder: I actually like Napper with the green hair vs. the light purple..  ^.^
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:24:13 AM by Sweet_Stuff »

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 11:58:38 AM »
There is even a variance among the "normal" release. I have a sunspot with silver tinsel and another with gold, it does not appear that the color came off either.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 12:01:41 PM »
I see MO Starhopper go for about 22-25 bucks. She's hard to come across though and is extremely high on my wish list. You'd really only be after Starhopper and Napper anyway since the rest of the set,  from what I understand  isn't any different from the rest of the Sparkle ponies. Most of the Sparkle ponies in general don't seem to be too expensive.

I see Sky Rocket and Sunspot pop up most often. Both versions of Napper and Starhopper are difficult to find
Twinkler,  Stardancer aren't too hard, but not common.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:08:25 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 12:03:11 PM »
The mail order ponies have a tiny version of their symbol on their cheek but yeah, other than that the mail orders and the storebought are the same colors, except Napper and Star Hopper.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 12:08:41 PM »
The mail order ponies have a tiny version of their symbol on their cheek but yeah, other than that the mail orders and the storebought are the same colors, except Napper and Star Hopper.

I didn't know that.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 02:30:34 PM »
If I were to get only one MO, it would be Twinkler, she's my favorite.  :blush:

Post Merge: November 29, 2015, 02:34:16 PM

There is even a variance among the "normal" release. I have a sunspot with silver tinsel and another with gold, it does not appear that the color came off either.

My Sunspot has silver in her mane and gold in her tail.. Someone told me the gold and her hair and easily fade, but I'm wondering if it was a factory error of sorts? Her hair is pink still.. I mean not super pink but light pinkish.. Was she supposed to have dark pink hair? :wonder:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:34:16 PM by Sweet_Stuff »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal