collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any ways to keep warm when your heating breaks down?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Any ways to keep warm when your heating breaks down?
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »
5 days without heating, still waiting on the letting agents of the house to tell me what on earth is going on, since their boiler repair insurance co has said it isnt covered! So to cheer me up, has anyone got any novel ideas for keeping warm when this happens? Had 2 sick days off work, but the cold's made my chest infection feel worse!
So far I've: Stayed in bed, had 2 hot water bottles on the go at once, layers of blankets, dressing gowns, etc. Cuddling soft toys, Thermal curtains, curtain linings, draught excluders at the base of doors, (sat in bed sewing another one yesterday!), bubble wrap up at the attic window, new doorway type curtain up the attic stairs, hot drinks, curries, cooker door left open after cooking, I've done most things apart from setting the curtains alight! Any other ideas? 

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
Re: Any ways to keep warm when your heating breaks down?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 09:24:24 AM »
I would buy a small space heater. I have an fan like one and it keeps the room super toasty. It was also only around $40.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:51:34 AM »
We are working on a home remodel so we've got it down-

* dish space heater pointed right at you
* hats/scarfs/alpaca!
* HOT TEA

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:13:28 AM »
The heater is an excellent idea. Our house is heated by oil and sometimes we run out and someone needs to go get it. If that happens at a bad time the heaters are useful.

Layering yourself in warm clothing can help. Also: wear socks!

If you have electronics like a TV, PC, etc. in your room turn those on. A lot of times my room is toasty even when the rest of the house is chilly from low oil because I run all my tech in here.

Make sure that you are trying to only heat a small space if widespread heating is not available.

Make sure any windows in the space you are heating are securely shut.

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 11:35:18 AM »
Do you have an electric blanket? I use one all the time.  They help with keeping warm, but also helps your body relax.
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 12:01:58 PM »
I always have some throws and a super fuzzy housecoat with hood.

I overheat easy so typically like things lightly cool, but I would definitely invest in a  small heater if what you are trying isn't working.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 12:22:26 PM »
A portable room heater can work wonders :) keep the curtains and doors shut in rooms you don't use. Wear plenty of layers too.

My heating broken down during a really cold spell at Christmas one year, it was the year we had very cold weather and it was down to minus 13! We didn't have heating for a week.

I'm sorry your unwell too, a bad chest makes you feel cold as it is.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
If it is cold enough to be uncomfortable I would call the housing board. If they don't get it fixed pronto, your landlord may be liable for putting you up in a hotel or something.

I'd go with a space heater, and would consider leaving the stove turned on if it came to that (be careful, fire hazard!). You can also fill the bathtub with hot water (unlimited, or do you pay your own hot water bill?). I'd fill the sinks, too. The hot will radiate out a bit, and might raise things a couple of degrees.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 08:17:40 PM »
I'd like to second, or third, or...what, fifth?  the space heater idea!  My heat went out the past two winters and i have a space heater i would just sit in front of it  :lol:

Also hot bath is nice, or even just a hot foot bath!  Makes the toes nice and toasty and the steam might help your cold feel better?

Good luck, stay warm  :cry:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
Thermal underwear!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 09:00:21 PM »
Besides all the fluffy pajama bottoms, thermal long sleeve shirts, and fluffy slippers I wear, I have a kotatsu! It's a flat heating panel hooked up under a small table with a comforter on top, with a tabletop on it! It's SOOOOOOOOO cozy! I immediately fall asleep under it and I will put my adorable reptiles under it whenever our power gets knocked out by an annual ice storm- my apt isn't insulated well xD

Can't go wrong with tons and tons of blankets!!!! Layer yourselves with fleece blankets with comforters on top! Omg so cozy!!!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:01:53 PM by Princess Lala »

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 09:32:02 PM »
puppies. lots of puppies.

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 10:44:54 PM »
Last winter, the boiler in my then-flatshare broke, and it took the landlady one week to get a new one and find someone to put it in. I can totally relate to what you're going through.

- A portable heater is definitely a good idea. They're not expensive, but be aware that they use a lot of electricity.

- A heated duvet is great for keeping warm in bed, on the sofa... anywhere you can sit still, basically.

If it gets really bad, do you have any friends or family nearby that you could stay with for a bit? It's not ideal, but better than getting ill.

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 11:47:59 PM »
Thanks, forgot to say the boiler care repair guy left 2 little fan heaters, but I can't afford a huge elec bill so only putting them on for 5 mins at a time every few hours! Haven't anyone I can stay with, relatives are 200 miles away, and all nearby friends have dogs, and I'm very allergic. So sadly can't cuddle armfuls of puppies to keep warm, even if I had some spare ones lying about.
Am looking at all suggestions, think my fave is Galactica's choice of an Alpaca, although I'm all out of those at the moment! Off sick for 3rd day, voice came back a bit just now, so will be phoning letting agents until I get through to find out what on earth is going on, since they didn't bother to return my email yesterday! May be venturing outside to get bus to laundrette to dry washing out, since I haven't been able to do any washing for 5 days as nowhere to dry it! Thanks folks!

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 08:08:00 AM »
We had the heat go out last year due to a power outage in the middle of winter. I found that a double layer of socks and a winter hat did wonders for keeping warm. Along with the typical blanket pile :D

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal