collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me about flutter pony wings?  (Read 919 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Can anyone tell me about flutter pony wings?
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:34:51 AM »
So I got these flutter pony wings in a lot and I'm curious about who they belong to. As I understand it, the tabs on the wings of the first set of flutter ponies matched their body colors -- i.e., Honeysuckle's tabs were pink, Peach Blossom's were blue, etc. Were the tabs for the second set of flutters all white?

You'll notice in the picture below that all but four of the wings have black tabs or black and white tabs; that seems to be because their past owner put black or black and white cardboard over the white part inside, possibly to keep them from breaking. Anyway, they're all white tabs inside. As you can see, there are three left-side wings and five right-side wings.

The flutters who came in the lot with them were Pink Dreams, Honeysuckle, Wingsong, and Wind Drifter. The lot had several accessories that belonged to ponies who weren't in the lot and must have gotten lost somewhere along the way, so it's possible that some of the wings below belong to flutters other than those that came with them. For that matter, there's a fifth right-side wing, so a fifth flutter pony is missing from the equation. Anyway . . . does anyone know who came with wings with white tabs?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
Re: Can anyone tell me about flutter pony wings?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 09:41:52 AM »
The white tab ones are probably all repros. I've bought several high quality repros that are indistinguishable from the originals, save the white tab. The tabs are made a little smaller so they don't break when inserting or removing them from pony- new owner maybe added black material to make fit more snug?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:07:02 PM by ponyqueen »

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »
I think they are repros- they do look just like the originals.

My originals are blue and pink, repros white.

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »
I was under the impression the second set of flutters came with clear tabs which were slightly longer and thicker?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »
White tabs are repros;  I have some of these myself and they're amazing.  The second set of flutter ponies had a clear plastic tab that is oversized compared to the original tabs.

The ones with cardboard over them might be original.  With my own childhood flutter ponies the tab was indeed the "weak point" that would break off, while leaving the rest of the wing intact.  However, it's also possible they are repros too.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:43:27 PM »
Oh, okay, thanks, guys. ^.^ I'm not sure whether to be disappointed that they aren't real flutter wings or thrilled that I got repro wings for such a good price, lol. They do look exactly like the one authentic wing I bought elsewhere (aside from the tabs, of course). It's a little confusing because these wings came in what looks like someone's childhood lot -- you know, the ponies that look played with and need some cleaning, random mishmash of accessories, some of which match up, and other '80s toys mixed in . . .  It's not outside the realm of possibility, I suppose, that someone passed down their pony collection to a child and ordered repro flutter wings for the child. :wonder: 

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »

2nd year tabs should look like this ;) I have never heard of white or black tabs, so I agree they are probably repro. I actually wish people didn't make repro stuff so close to the original, because in situations like this they get mixed up.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »

2nd year tabs should look like this ;) I have never heard of white or black tabs, so I agree they are probably repro. I actually wish people didn't make repro stuff so close to the original, because in situations like this they get mixed up.

I'm really pleased when I see repro wings that look so close to the original, myself! I think the difference in tab color seems to be a good indicator that wings are repro, as everyone here was able to spot it right away.  ^.^

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »

I'm really pleased when I see repro wings that look so close to the original, myself! I think the difference in tab color seems to be a good indicator that wings are repro, as everyone here was able to spot it right away.  ^.^

Ah, well I don't like repro anything. I'd rather not have it than have it faked, so I would be really upset if a lot of wings and stuff had repros in it instead of real, and it hadn't been clear from pictures/description because the seller didn't know the difference. I know repro shells are stamped and rehaired ponies ought to be hoof-marked - if tabs break on repro flutter wings, I'm not sure how you tell them apart if you don't know for sure.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 04:27:07 PM »
Perhaps just the tabs are repro, the actual wing part could be original?

Jules x

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 04:47:33 PM »
I was REALLY happy when someone figured out how to make those perfect looking repro wings- I remember my first flutter pony ever- the wing tabs had broken right out of the package. It was devastating.

The repro wings did devalue the one original flutter I had with her original unbroken wings a lot- but on the other hand I was able to easily (and fairly cheaply) give original looking wings back to all of my flutters!!!

There are/were SOOOOOO many wingless flutter ponies out there- I think it was awesome some people figured out how to make the wings again.  I think the white tabs make the repros pretty dang easy to spot.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 05:49:04 PM »
Same here, I was thrilled when people began producing such perfect looking wings.  The tabs make them pretty evident once you know what to look for.  :)  If they're displayed on a pony in an auction and you aren't sure if they're original, just ask the seller to gently pull them out and look at the tabs.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 06:30:46 PM »
I know where taffeta is coming from! Protecting integrity is important to me as well!

I do love repro wings as I could never trust myself to touch original wings, I'm scared to even look at online pictures of them in fear of them breaking due to a sad sad childhood of many instantly broken flutter wings. However I agree 100% that they need to be marked as repro (i.e. The tab) but taffeta does make a point in if the tab breaks then what? I guess tables wings aren't really something people go to bidding wars for since they are pretty much useless/broken. Not sure if they are fixable? (Sorry if they are!)
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 06:31:58 PM »
I think repro wings are great! I can't wait to get some Flutters so I can make them airworthy again. :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 09:02:36 PM »
I guess if you wanted to be 100% certain you were getting original wings, you could only go for ones that still have their tabs?   I don't think it would really cost that much more than genuine wings without tabs. ;)

And one nice thing about the repro wings is they drove down the price of real flutter wings.  A pair of flutter wings, on their own, used to cost $50.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal