collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Catnip twinkles brandy snowball etc help?  (Read 554 times)

Offline cassstorm

• Cheeky Monkey Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+442)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Catnip twinkles brandy snowball etc help?
« on: November 09, 2015, 08:29:07 AM »
Somewhere I read that there are more than 1 white cat etc.. Can someone share the differences and pics?? Thank you!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Catnip twinkles brandy snowball etc help?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 09:25:03 AM »
Twinkles is the orange cat who came with the original Pretty Parlor / Grooming Parlor.  There are several versions of him with slightly different variations (like, lighter or darker stripes on his back).

Brandy is the dog who came with the Show Stable.  There's a normal brown version of him, a darker brown version, and a yellow version with pink ears from "Home Sweet Home" (Show Stable recolor).

Snowball is a dog in Brandy's mold who's white with pink ears and came with "Megan's Place". (Show Stable recolor.)

Catnip is the white cat who came with the Brush Me Beautiful Boutique in the US, or the new Grooming Parlor in other countries.

There was an unreleased cat with the unreleased version of the Kitchen (the Kitchen with the cat door) who I think was yellow?  Anyway, he was never actually available.

Hope that helps. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

meskhetyw

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »

Offline cassstorm

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 09:43:43 AM »
Thank you!!!! So there is only 1 white cat? Just making sure ;-)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 11:01:24 AM »

There was an unreleased cat with the unreleased version of the Kitchen (the Kitchen with the cat door) who I think was yellow?  Anyway, he was never actually available.

I think I've been under a rock, I've never seen that or should I say noticed it in the leaflet. Do you have a picture/link you can share? :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Starsky

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 11:35:09 AM »
Hi I have two different white cats one is from uk grooming parlour and the other is from usa brush me beautiful set. UK snowball as she is called here has different eyes and has darker stripes and the us cat nip has lighter stripes ! and nose and tongue painted on. wish I knew how to add a photo ? Forgive me im new :/ x

Post Merge: November 09, 2015, 11:42:49 AM

Hi I have two different white cats one is from uk grooming parlour and the other is from usa brush me beautiful set. UK snowball as she is called here has different eyes and has darker stripes and the us cat nip has lighter stripes ! and nose and tongue painted on. wish I knew how to add a photo ? Forgive me im new :/ x
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:42:49 AM by Starsky »

Offline cassstorm

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 12:49:04 PM »
Adding your photos  :) (one of her cats currently at my home)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 01:07:23 PM »
I also have two Snowball the cats from Kiss Curl's parlour and maybe can add a bit to this.

@LM, Snowball is the correct release name for Kiss Curl's cat in the UK, we never had the dog. So the BMBB cat is Catnip but KissCurl's cat is Snowball and this probably matters only because of what I'm now going to mention.

First and foremost as people know Kiss Curl can be China or HK made, she can also have reverse symbols. I am not sure if both versions can have reverse symbols or not, I have only got one but she came to me complete with all her stuff including insert material and box.

AND her cat.

The long version is here:
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/groomingparlour_kisscurl.htm

The short version is that my reverse symbol KC comes with a box that says playset and accessories assembled in Spain. (Not the pony, just the playset/accessories).

The two cats I have are these:

The one on the left is the one that is more common, I have a few of this one. The one on the right I have only had with this Kiss Curl parlour set with the reverse symbol KC and the assembled in Spain marked box.

Kiss Curl officially appears on hasbro's list in 1987, also on 1987 inserts, but we know that if she was out in 87 it was pretty late on. She is mostly in 1988 and 1989 sale catalogues, I suspect she might have still be around in 1990 over here.

Peachy ran from the start to 1986, Snuzzle had her parlour in 1987 so parlours were popular here and there are numerous small variations on the Twinkles kittens' paintwork because of all those issues.

Snowballs seem to be either one or the other of the two I just photographed - sort of funny plastic with darker paint or normal matte plastic with lighter paint that rubs easily. I suspect that my reverse Kiss Curl and the Spain connection means she was a later one and so is that Snowball, but I can't know for sure.

Some other playsets at this time also mention Spain - the Kitchen is made in Spain, the later sold  baby Buggy has a version made in Spain with the claim of a Spanish baby Cuddles but as yet no UK person has found proof that actually was true (they are HK). So it would fit for that to be the last version of Kiss Curl on sale. I think the rainbow on her box also may suggest it, but I haven't had a chance to look closer.

I also don't remember if my KC's box is stamped. Most of the earlier UK sold playsets to about 1988 are stamped with a date stamp inside the box but not all of them; and it's the later ones that tend to lack it.

My theories anyhow. Still a lot to be proven.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »

I think I've been under a rock, I've never seen that or should I say noticed it in the leaflet. Do you have a picture/link you can share? :)

Love pkw xxx

Its the one shown in the 91 in product leaflet. Its also in the catalogue. The only pic of it online I can think of is on Taffeta's page http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook/cookeryponies.html

There are actually different releases of Catnip...tip her upside down and she even has different numbers.

In general the thing to remember about this kitty is that she is very very varied in colour of stripes (some darker, some lighter) plastic finish (some a very thin weak feeling plastic feel and even in how her face is painted. However its not a country difference; its a timing difference. The general rule is that the one with the tongue is the later release; the one without the tongue is the earlier release. We see more with the tongue outside the US as we got the set later; more without the tongue in the US as they got the set earlier. However, that being said even within that rule there is variation in colour of stripes and type of plastic. The pets are some of the worst for minor factory responsible variation unfortunately.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline cassstorm

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 01:13:05 PM »
Seems that these 2 also mirror Taffeta's  :). So to complete a set you would only need 1 since it does go to the same set, not a completely different version, correct?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 01:18:22 PM »
@ hathorcat, I like to call that unreleased kitten Custard ;) I wish they had sold it with the kitchen.

Also that version of the site is old and out of date and I am going to remove it when I have time. The proper link for the kitchen is this one now:
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/kitchen.htm

As for the Snowball versions, they both go with Kiss Curl. I can't prove whether a specific Snowball goes with a specific Kiss Curl in terms of origin/symbol colouring, and so I guess it depends on that? I only know that my noseless one (for want of a better term as the photo cassstorm posted also has no nose xD) came with the box that said stuff assembled etc in Spain. My assumption would be that she is Spanish made as opposed to HK made, like the later buggies (I have the box that says HK but I have seen and I know Lady G had/has the other that says Spain) and the more common other one is the regular version. But I don;t know. Hathorcat's perspective is probably also valid in the sense that I dunno how much they cared. I just think that there's a higher possibility that the noseless one goes with the assembled in Spain set and the other with the other.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:23:43 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline cassstorm

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 01:20:37 PM »
Wow! Thank you all for your help and interesting lesson of the day :-)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 01:26:11 PM »
I think that's why it's better to keep Snowball as Snowball and Catnip as Catnip, as Snowball goes with the Grooming Parlour/Kiss Curl in the UK and has undetermined variations and Catnip comes with the BBMB in the US and who knows if there are variations?
I am not confident at this point that Kiss Curl's parlour was ever outside of the UK, either. I just know it was popular here as Kiss Curl is quite common (but less so with the reverse symbol, which belongs with the assembled in Spain set and the noseless Snowball. Either that version came first and was quickly superseded or she came last and was not as popular/readily available. She is made in HK so that might mean earlier. I dunno.

The labelling on the two sets are different, and the US one has no pony, so I think it makes sense to distinguish them this way.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:29:32 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 06:25:30 AM »
Thank you Cat for the link :heart:

Taffeta I agree his name should be Custard!

I've noticed over the years that there seem to be so many different variations in the pets, mostly Brandy, Snowball and Twinkles.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal