collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My husband has no idea how much I have spent on ponies  (Read 1989 times)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
My husband has no idea how much I have spent on ponies
« on: November 08, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »
So last night, without giving specific dollar amounts, I told my husband if I was to die unexpectedly, don't just get rid of my pony collection.  I told him to try to find someone who knows what they are doing; that there are some fairly valuable ponies in my collection.  I lied and told him I got them at a great deal.  He chuckled at the idea of him looking for a 'pony advisor'.  In reality, I paid fair market value, and maybe sometimes more out of impatience of waiting for that good deal to come along. 

So question, anyone else in my predicament where you are not completely up front with your significant other?

Sshhh  ;)
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: My husband has no idea how much I have spent on ponies
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »
Not so much significant other, but my family don't always know the prices of exact items in my collection. They also aren't really bothered though, so long as it's my money, and I'm not strapped for cash in other areas. They do know I spent a lot of money on Brazilian Paradise, which I have never regretted as she was a grail for me forever (literally, as SS ponies weren't sold here, and I always wanted Paradise as a kid).

I've never been overdrawn, never been in pony debt and while sometimes I spend maybe more than I'd like on something, it balances out with all the trading I did when I was younger so over the course of my collecting I think probably the value evens out.

I didn't admit to them how much I spent on the huge lot of pony packaging though. Another thing I never will regret - a whole load of UK pony history in that one lot - but they don't need to know how much it cost...

My sister (now 28) also has a pony collection, in some ways our collection is a joint one as we collected together growing up although we have several that both of us have. She is the enviable person who has never spent more than a couple of pounds on a pony yet has Crumpet, Munchy, Chacha, Tornado etc from either carboot sales or trading online with my help. When she asks me how much Paradise cost, as she LOVES my Paradise, I tell her that she needs to do a lot of saving ;) but I won't give her an exact amount. Unfortunately for her, as you can tell by the ponies she picked to trade for as a kid, she has expensive taste...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponytails

• Shenanigans Pony
  • Trade Count: (+134)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I love Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 10:24:37 AM »
My husband has a very good idea in general of how much I spend and have spent on ponies. Most of my biggest purchases were with windfall money I unexpectedly got (such as when I bought G3 Rosey Posey many years back).

If I do die he knows the two people to contact to sort out my collection.

BUT there are two ponies I spent $200 plus another $100 im shipping on he does NOT know I bought or how much I spent. I have 2 of the 3 foot tall plushies from Australia..destuffed and in a tub hidden in my basement. Shhhh, dont tell him....
My G3 grail is LS Pinkie Pie MIB.  If you have her for sale or trade, I WILL pay.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 10:30:09 AM »
No my girlfriend knows, and I've been very upfront with her about costs. When I was with my ex wife I had a budget I used each month and she knew that. I've just told my significant others they are worth something and to try and get money from them.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »
I'm extremely upfront about our finances. And I expect the same from my husband.

That said. We have our own money, and what I buy, and how I budget is my own business. What he buys, how he budgets is his business.

Family? My finances are none of their business.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »
My husband and I are completely open about finances, but things are different for every couple.  It is always wise to alert your SO/Husband/Wife if something you have is of value and can help them in the event of an unforeseen tragedy.

When you are married or in a long-term commitment, what each of you does financially affects the other - regardless of how "separate" you keep things - even if it is only in a small way.  Add children to the mix and it compounds in my opinion.

That being said, if you are not sure how things are going to work out (as the case with a boyfriend or girlfriend or even a rocky marriage), then you may choose to keep things private.

In any event, it is never a bad idea to leave a will or some kind of detailed instruction regarding your personal items.  This might help honor your privacy while you are alive and well, while offering the security of "just in case."

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 11:02:25 AM »
My husband is well aware of how much has gone into my ponies and other collections, just as I am aware of how much has gone towards his collections of figures. We just got married, so we're working on the joint account thing, but we'll always have separate accounts for our "fun money". So even though we're both free to spend that money on whatever, we still tend to be honest about what we're buying and how much it's costing us.

Besides, we know that things happen and if something were to happen to me and he had to sell off my ponies, I'd want him to know how to go about doing that and vice versa.

Outside of my husband, no one else really knows the worth of my collection or how much I've spent. One of my best friend's knows since she's also a pony collector, but no one else really needs to know. I've also told my grandma about some purchases, but none of the expensive ones... I know she'd freak out. :lol:
Instagram / Want List

Offline lauranthalasa

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »
I have been pretty honest I think.  But we did have that conversation that if something happens to me he needs to research before selling!

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »
My Roommate is also a collector (of She-Ra), so we both understand the costs associated with vintage toys. Sometimes when we have people over and show them the collection room they will make comments like "you must have a lot of money in this". On one hand, yes, on the other, I've been collection as an adult since 1997 and my collection isn't *that* big, so...

And I do have a pony friend lined up to deal with my collection in the event of my untimely demise. ;)

Elf

Offline pickwick_pirate

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 11:31:20 AM »
I don't have a significant other but my mum and Brother know what my pony collection costs. I've spoken to my mum that if I was to pass away in the near future (hopefully not!) Then she would come on here to sell up my collection. I've evn catalogued them all with a rough price for her! Sometimes she is a little shocked by how much they cost, Mimic for example got a "how much!!!!?" But it's my money, I work hard, I've never been silly with my money so if I want to spoil myself with a Pony of the ritcher variety I shall and my family don't judge.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 11:31:39 AM »
I've been honest and have even said he might not get the prices I paid because you need to have a lot of experience with dolls and ponies to know the value of each.  They are here for me to enjoy now.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 11:33:27 AM »
I've been honest and have even said he might not get the prices I paid because you need to have a lot of experience with dolls and ponies to know the value of each.  They are here for me to enjoy now.

Yep, this is the important part!  :) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »
Quote from: jrr74 link=topic=374399.msg1475074#msg1475074
He chuckled at the idea of him looking for a 'pony advisor'.
Reminds me when me and my friend went into a (supposedly) german-only type thrift shop where I saw a pony. She gave me a very weird look when I picked it off from the toyshelf. I explained her I was just wondering if this is actually a german one, and how much it might worth for a collector. That just kinda made matters worse...

Oh yeah, and the pony was indeed german. A german Skydancer.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 12:41:31 PM »
i dont tell my parents exactl how much  lolsicne i'd never hea  the end of it.. but      mom knows i have"thosunads" of dollars in my room lol

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 01:10:47 PM »
Hubby was there when i bought all mine and has even bought some for me! xD I also told him "dont sell my ponies!" He knows allllll about my ponies, how much i spent on each, and what they are worth now. In fact he bought a special lock for my pony\doll room and even got our collection insured!

Sadly its my DS LE doll collection i havnt been truthful to him how much I have been spending, however, recently he bought me 5 dolls because i worked during their release and the truth was revealed! He had a talk with me but it was more comical than anything, but he was upset i made them sound cheaper than i said they were, but he is fine with me collecting heirloom dolls.   I felt how I would imagine a child feeling when the parents call them into another room to scold them about something bad they did-ive only seen that on tv but haha it felt something like that! I told him my small LE dolls were $40 (lies) lol and my big ones were $80 (lies again!) to hide how much i really spent! (Those dolls are $130 each....i have 14!)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:19:47 PM by Princess Lala »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal