collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Doll owners, I need some tips for a future creation  (Read 353 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Doll owners, I need some tips for a future creation
« on: November 05, 2015, 06:53:17 PM »
Ok I will admit, what I am planning on doing isn't exactly a 'doll'...

However, the style of it is based off of the cloth-body baby dolls that have the vinyl limbs and head. I want to create something like that from a current toy that is all vinyl.. however, I'm not 100% sure how to get the cloth to attach smoothly to the vinyl. I know that there are poseable critters that have sculpty limbs that the fabric is glued to, but I would like some ideas.

If sewing is possible, how would I go about it with this creation?
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline moevelvet

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Doll owners, I need some tips for a future creation
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:02:29 PM »
One toy I dissassembled simply had a groove in the plastic, then a zip tie was tightened around it with the fabric inbetween.  Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, it's late and I'm tired
Current profile pic from: http://kero444.deviantart.com/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Ember by Nence

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 09:21:25 AM »
One toy I dissassembled simply had a groove in the plastic, then a zip tie was tightened around it with the fabric inbetween.  Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, it's late and I'm tired

Yes there is usually some channel in the vinyl piece, then with a drawstring or elastic - or sometimes machine-sewn! the fabric piece is gathered around and secured in place.

I would very lightly carve this channel in the toy's vinyl limbs/head and then attach a limb in that fashion.   

OR you could take a pre-existing plushie and put the toy inside it and glue as needed... or sew. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:23:49 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 11:24:16 AM »

Yes there is usually some channel in the vinyl piece, then with a drawstring or elastic - or sometimes machine-sewn! the fabric piece is gathered around and secured in place.

I would very lightly carve this channel in the toy's vinyl limbs/head and then attach a limb in that fashion.   

OR you could take a pre-existing plushie and put the toy inside it and glue as needed... or sew. 
My only concern was raw edges with the pieces I cut from the toy... truth be told I don't know how this the plastic is as of yet. May just do the glue method and hope for the best XD As soon as I get a bait.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal