collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: PC on MO Spike  (Read 571 times)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
PC on MO Spike
« on: November 03, 2015, 11:00:22 AM »
So today I offended a seller on eBay.  She/he had a MO Spike listed with a BIN price of $40.  I did my homework off of recent previous sales and asked if she would accept a best offer price of $30.  Here is the conversation

me
I sent a message earlier with no response. Was wondering if you would accept best offer price     of $30. It is a very fair offer. 1 MO Spike went for just under $24, another for $29 and a third MO Spike who was sold with a dream castle Spike also went for $29

seller replied
I like that you think you have the right to tell me what is fair & what I should accept. Why don't I just sell all my auctions for free while I'm at it. Do me a favor don't buy it.

me
Sorry, wasn't try to offend you. Just looking at past sales on eBay. I was not telling you what to accept, just hoping you would accept a fair offer based on previous sales

End of conversation and he/she ended the auction right then and there.  I was very taken back by this because I am not a mean person out to take advantage of others. 

When I said it was a fair offer, I only meant that I wasn't trying to lowball them.  Maybe I should have spelled that out clearer.  The item had been up for several days, maybe longer and I thought, what the heck, reach out and maybe they would accept.  I thought the worst someone could say was 'no' which I would respect and move on.

So back to posted price check, what is a reasonable asking price for MO Spike.  If I was wrong about $30, please let me know.  I am so very new at this and eager to learn.  I would ask for a mentor but would drive just one poor individual crazy  :wacko:
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
Re: PC on MO Spike
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 04:28:47 PM »
Based on that, I don't think you were rude - maybe they've had other people message them similarly for that and other items, but they fancy themselves some sort of expert, so they got snippy about it? Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it, as I don't think you said or did anything wrong.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:26:59 PM »
I think it would have perhaps gone a little smoother if you'd just asked if they would accept an offer of $30.  The part about "It's a very fair offer" kind of makes it sound like you're saying that their current prices isn't fair and almost, like . . . "if you don't accept this then you aren't a fair seller"?

I know you didn't mean it like that, though.  Don't worry, it's just an innocent miscommunication. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline jrr74

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »
I was trying to avoid insulting the seller when I offered a price 25% below their BIN price.  That is why I explained the $30 price mark, but I did just the opposite.  Definitely, like mentioned by LadyMoondancer, poor choice of wording on my part.  Live and learn. 

ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 08:27:12 PM »
That seller's response is a bit ridiculous. You weren't rude at all. I agree with LadyMoondancer that it's probably best to just keep communications simple--no need to justify your offer. Sometimes if I message sellers to make certain offers (sometimes I do this if I hope someone will break up a lot that isn't moving), I just add "No need to respond if not interested." Then they can just feel free to ignore you if they don't like your price.

Good luck in finding MO Spike! He's a cutie.
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Freeindeed

• Trade Count: (+208)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 08:43:48 PM »
I sell pretty regularly on eBay and I get offers sometimes through messages on listings that I don't have a Best Offers option on. I usually don't respond to these, because if I wanted offers I would have had a Best Offer option on my listing. I will add Best Offers or lower prices if something hasn't sold after awhile, but for a new listing I admit I will always try to go for top dollar first. :D Maybe your seller feels the same way?

Considering there are no other current listings on eBay for the MO version of Spike, and that the last ones sold back in August when prices tend to be lower, $40 isn't a bad price for him. Prices tend to get higher at this time of year.

But if you see something that you feel is overpriced, don't worry... it'll come up for sale again if you're patient enough. I've learned that unless it's some ultra rare one-of-a-kind thing, there's always another one out there with your name on it. :)

Offline jrr74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 09:04:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for the given advice/viewpoints for future dealings.  I will definitely choose my words more carefully in an attempt to avoid misinterpretation. Better yet, just keep it very simple. 

I also learned something else new...I did not realize the price of items fluctuate during certain times of the year.  I take it I should avoid buying during the Christmas season  :lol:
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Freeindeed

• Trade Count: (+208)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 09:17:09 PM »
Yeah, summer is usually when prices are at their lowest. The holiday season is when prices tend to shoot up, and also during tax season when people get their refund money.

Maybe you could try adding a message in your signature that you're looking for MO Spike. I've done that before if I'm looking for something, and sometimes it works. Plus prices here tend to be lower than they are on eBay, because there's no fees to deal with. :)

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 02:35:27 PM »

Maybe you could try adding a message in your signature that you're looking for MO Spike. I've done that before if I'm looking for something, and sometimes it works. Plus prices here tend to be lower than they are on eBay, because there's no fees to deal with. :)

I second this suggestion! Putting a "wanted ad" in my sig here is how I was able to reunite my Secret Surprise Stardazzle with a key  ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 01:22:27 PM »
I do think its worth remembering that if a seller doesnt have a best offer request...they may not want best offers. :) As tempting as it is to try. However that being said there was no need for a seller to be rude :(

I actually think $35 would be a good offer (and thats what I would price check at) but I also think that $40 is a kind of price a BIN seller may hold out for as they will probably get it. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal