collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can lights in cabinets damage?  (Read 405 times)

Offline TickleMePink

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Can lights in cabinets damage?
« on: October 29, 2015, 03:54:15 AM »
So I´m finally putting together a glass cabinet for my ponies. Since I don´t have any separate pony room it´s gonna be located in the livingroom, out of direct sunlight but still in a very light room.

These particular Ikea-shelves come with pre-drilled holes for led lights. In the evening it would look pretty sweet to have them lit up. However, is it ok with the plastic? I don´t think the lights turn out very hot, but still-do I dare? I def. don´t want to take any risks.

What do you more experienced guys reckon? Lights or no? 
:lovey: Yes to dance beneith the diamond sky with one hand waving free :lovey:
Thanks to Nence for my avatar!
Formerly known as gredelingrrrl

Offline SwiftStar84

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Can lights in cabinets damage?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 05:32:07 AM »
The lights should be fine. It's direct sunlight that causes the issues because of the UV rays. The led lights don't have UV rays so they should be fine.
PROUD MY LITTLE PONY DADDY! I LOVE ALL GENS OF MLP!
Seeking Mia and Me Unicorns(the big ones) and Fantasy Filly Princess Kayla and Shayna!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 06:16:54 AM »
All lights have the potential to cause photodegradation, but LEDs are probably the safest option since their UV output is minuscule. Their IR emissions are also low, i.e. they don't get very hot compared to incandescents or CFLs. In my opinion, I think being openly displayed in a very bright room, even if they're not directly in the sun, would ultimately be more harmful than comparatively brief exposure to LED light. It's a trade-off between fully enjoying your ponies and preserving them as much as humanly possible. You have to decide for yourself which is more important to you. :) If you're already comfortable with how they're being set up, I say go for the LEDs and admire your ponies every night.

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 09:37:01 AM »
I wouldn't want the lights on 24 x 7 because any light can fade colors eventually.  That's why museums and art galleries often have lights on motion sensors, so that the lights aren't constantly on damaging the artifacts.  But having them installed so you can turn them on ocassionally when you want and enjoy your collection is a great idea I think.  I mean, what do we have the ponies for, if not to enjoy them?
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »
The light sensor thing is a brilliant suggestion!

As a side note to the cabinet comments, please make sure that air can flow freely inside to get to the ponies.. (either through holes or cracks through the hinges, etc.) If air doesn't get to them, over time, the ponies plastic will start to stink. I had my collection in a cabinet for a couple of years and noticed a very odd "old plastic" kind of smell.. nothing bad like mold or mildew.. I had to take them all out and air them out for several weeks.  :blush: Now they are displayed in an open-shelf bookcase.  :cool:

Just a heads up! I always share when I can.. no one wants stinky ponies!  >_< If you have no other display option and air can't get through, I suggest putting a light air freshener in the cabinet with them or even charcoal or cedar chips to help with smell. :)

Offline TickleMePink

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 03:49:52 PM »
Thank you all for your input! I think I´ll go with lights but just have them on occationally. Like Brighteyes said: What do we have ponies for, if not to enjoy them?
And Hannah725, I´ll keep it in mind. Don´t want stinky ponies  :yikes:
:lovey: Yes to dance beneith the diamond sky with one hand waving free :lovey:
Thanks to Nence for my avatar!
Formerly known as gredelingrrrl

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 04:43:07 PM »
Thank you all for your input! I think I´ll go with lights but just have them on occationally. Like Brighteyes said: What do we have ponies for, if not to enjoy them?
And Hannah725, I´ll keep it in mind. Don´t want stinky ponies  :yikes:

:ohyeah:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 12:01:33 PM »
As others have said as long as they are not on all the time, thats a great idea.

Also please just bear in mind that its not just direct sunlight that causes issues...its any sunlight at all. So just make sure any ponies with particular fading issues are as far back in the cabinet and in as shadowed an area as possible :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal