collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: anyone with lots of experience booking flights?  (Read 667 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
anyone with lots of experience booking flights?
« on: October 28, 2015, 01:19:08 AM »
So Iv never gone on a very long distance trip alone, I have no experience finding flights and hotels and things. But it seems like Iv heard that booking these things very early is usually cheaper than doing it later on.

One of my oldest internet friends is getting married in almost exactly a year from now, and I would just love to be there, so Iv started saving money, i'm also going to try and open up any form of commissions/sales again, just because any amount of money will help. Since Id also like this to sort of double as a vacation trip for my son and I, since we get to do this pretty much never. But as my friend is in NJ I see it as a great opportunity to see NYC while I'm there, and I'm pretty sure that's not going to be cheap. xD

I could use SO much help, I get so flustered and terribly anxious when I go out and talk to people, such as i'm sure I will when I need to actually book these things. I would just really like some tips and ideas as to what to look for. I am so guilty of getting overwhelmed and then just picking things to get out of there, and I don't want to do that at all.

So it will be just me, and my son, who will be 12 by the time this happens, Im going to try and get everything we need by cary on between the two of us, as i'm not sure how much it is to actually check baggage, and i'd be in big trouble if they got lost. >.<

Has anyone here traveled to ny? and if so any suggestions on an allowance for that?
I know I want to go to at least one museum while I'm there, and had thought about the zoo as well.
Ill probably only be spending a few days there, so I want to make the most of it while also not going totally broke. xD Which is why I really only planned on doing one or two touristy things lol.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
Re: anyone with lots of experience booking flights?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 02:38:07 AM »
I fly ALL THE TIME.  Oh my god, do I ever fly.  Flying within the US there is almost never any checked luggage.  The best I have ever gotten for domestic is once it was included I think almost just because the flight was so early and they didn't have the systems turned on to charge.  And I think when I flew to NYC via with Jet Blue the checked baggage was $2.  So good enough really.

Jetblue is a fantastic airline to fly if you can.  I'm pretty sure they have their hub in NYC so it's easier to get a direct flight.  They are pretty cheap  They have the best leg room in any plane I have ever been on, and I have been on a lot.  Plus they warn you before they hit turbulence, so it's not a massive surprise.  Also, and this is probably a fluke, but it was the smoothest landing ever.

Unless you or your son really really wants to sit by the window to look out I'd suggest sitting in the middle and isle seats.  It's more comfortable.  Only problem would be if the person by the window likes getting up a lot.

For flight prices and times I couldn't suggest using google flights more highly.  You can't book with them.  But they show you the best range of prices available from pretty much every website.  Plus they tend to look at more options.  A lot of websites (like expedia or travelocity) don't actually have access to all the airlines data.  Where as google does.  So just google where you're going from and to and when and google will show all the flights, in order of price.  You can then filter out things like making it direct flights only.  Arriving or leaving at special times, and it will also tell you what the prices are for the whole months, so say you search for a Tuesday, but it's way cheaper to fly Wednesday, it will show you that.  It will then also show you what website you need to use to book the particular flight you want through.  It's awesome.

NYC is a bit expensive.  So you should just try and save as much as you can. 

Things you should do as soon as you can.  Book tickets to see the broadway show you want to see now.  Tickets are cheaper early, and there are better seats available.

If you want to climb to the top of the statue of liberty book that as soon as possible (may not be able to book right now, but if you can do) it only cost like $2 to climb to the top, but it books out immediately.  So book it.

Museums are probably the most expensive thing you can do.  All the prices are online though, so you can decided what's best for you.  We loved the Natural History Museum and MOMA.  MOMA was much cheaper than the Nat though.  Plus the NHM has the most expensive food ever.  Like it's ridiculous.

Getting around by subway in NYC is totally the way to go btw.  Super easy, and cheap.  So don't be scared of it.  I spent a month in NYC and used it all the time. 

If you want any more advice you can feel free to PM me.  This year alone I've been to 6 countries of 4 continents and I think 12 cities... at least 12.  So like I said, I travel a lot. 

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 03:01:45 AM »
 :worshippy: :worshippy:

Thank you sooo so much Xeevee!! I'll definitely be using google. I've only flown (in a jet) once (or twice i guess since it was a round trip) and I was young, I LOVED IT! we went to florida. I've also flown cessnas as a child. but it's been awhile since i've been up in a plane of any kind period haha.

I don't think I'll bother with broadway or the statue, even though I would LOVE to if I were with friends. Since I'll be with my son, I think I'll stick to things I know we'll both like, the Natural history museum was one I was looking into, however it seems like I have a few more options to look into as far as museums go. Would still like to see a zoo I think, unless there is something specifically related to rocks/minerals or marine life without being an actual aquarium lol.

I don't know why I totally forgot about the subway! xD I was thinking about how expensive taxis or busses might be! Iv always kinda wanted to try out the trains also lol. Thanks again for all the information, and Ill most likely take you up on that offer for more, once it gets closer to serious hard planning. xD

Offline xeevee

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 03:09:23 AM »
Remember there are broadway shows aimed at kids.  Aladdin, Finding Neverland, Lion King, Matilda.  My kids are a little younger than your son, and my son is kind of into musical theatre, but they loved seeing Matilda and the Lion King.  But it is very pricey. 

I didn't actually make it to the zoo.  We walked through the middle of it to get to the fountain that is supposed to be the one in the title screen of friends.  It's really tiny, but I don't think it was very expensive.  They have seals, I can tell you that, because I could see them as we walked through. 

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 05:08:02 AM »
Southwest airlines doesn't share their flight info with 3rd parties. So check their site too to compare to other airlines. They often have cheap flights. They used to have a bunch of deals to random cities through out the year, so being on a mailing list could be helpful to snatch a deal. I'm not sure what other airlines offer deals, but I'd look into that.

The only downside with them is you need to check in early because seating is first come first serve. And while they aren't my first choice in airline, I've had some decent flights with them. Once they sang a song about how happy they were that we were flying with them. That was odd.

On a general note, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are usually the cheapest days to fly if it fits into your schedule.

If your son likes boats, then you can see the statue of liberty fairly decent (but obviously at a distance) from the Staten island ferry. It's free. Iirc, I think the ride *to* Manhattan is the best time to see it. It's really close to other public transportation since people use it daily to commute, so its easy to get to. I know you said you weren't planning on seeing it, but I figured I'd throw out the free option.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 07:39:55 AM »
Meeee!

Ive been there once but NYC and Manhatten can be a pricey place to vacation to because there is a lot to do there and its so widely known! Heck, friend I have over skype that live there tell me its expensive to even live near NYC and it gets worse in the city! Everyplace can skyrocket prices on anything  becauses its a popular place to travel to. Yes yes, book a flight somewhere on the outside as early as possible for cheaper tickets and take a taxi from your destination to where you wanna go! Anything you want to do there research asap and see if you can find discounted tickets or coupons for any cool place you want to go to! Staying inside a hotel in NYC is also very crazy expensive, its very lively there at night but dont sleep in your car to try to save money while in the city. Subways are really good, but I remember we used a cab and it got us nowhere LOL! Far north New York (statewise) is very beautiful and there is suprisingly some beautiful countrysides!

Inside somewhere around the area there is an awesome Mcdonalds. No joke! We went there a loooong time ago but I remember the burgers look like in the pictures! Is it still like that...anyone know? I dont remember what street it was on but keep an eye out! Also definetly try to go see Aladdin on Broadway!!!!! I keep hearing from friends its amazing! :3

As far as air travel, I always used to use Allegiant Air or Spirit to get around-very afforable! Allegiant has limited destinations though, one is Orlando, but I would be shocked if they didnt have NYC on the list! You get a free drink and can bring one smallish and personal small bag (like my purse) with no additional charges last time I went to Orlando with Allegiant, however, I heard they charge for certain bags and seat selection now.  I did use SW Airlines only once and that was my move to Texas from Indiana. It was very pricey for a ticket 6mo in advance one-way and they didnt let me have a free drink and I had to pay for my one bag. :/ Spirit was a little worse... no free anything and you pay for all bags, each way.

Bags can be costly! Bring a big purse or a small lightweight rolly bag that comes with you on the plane- bring only what you need and try not to pack more that one extra set of clothes. I always wear two outfits when traveling but I will pack light with only toiletries, wallet, phone, and a few pairs of panties. Just make sure to keep clothes clean. Seriously! You can also ship soivineers home through usps if you are worried about bag space but me- I like to travel like a pokemon trainer! One small personal bag, grocery shop at destination after checking into hotel.

Ever since I moved to Texas ive been pretty in-state minus my recent trip to Florida! I always cry inside we dont have Allegiant Air at DFW airport, but I do have Spirit and SW.  Im wishing to go to Canada, possibly somewhere in Ontario, sometime in the near future.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:35:54 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 08:58:17 AM »
I can't help but that sounds so exciting! Have fun!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline xeevee

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »
I would suggest avoiding spirit personally.  They have extremely restrictive baggage rules.  I once had them try to make me pay $100 to check a bag that is so small it actually fits inside carry on that is fine for most airlines because it was over their carry on size.  Their normal fee is $50 to check a bag.  And they sometimes charge to carry on.  I'm sure they are good for super quick business trips, but no so great if you need to bring stuff, the hidden costs end up making the actual price per ticket really expensive.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 11:33:07 AM »
Best of luck :D

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 12:52:17 PM »
IM loving all of this! Keep it coming! ^-^

The only reason Im not really considering a Broadway is because we'll likely only have just a few days to spend in ny, and were the type who really like to walk around and explore things, which is why i'm looking into museums and zoos. Also I really only planned on doing two ticket events, (one each day), on top of whatever shopping i'm sure were bound to do lol.

The only flight iv ever taken is through NorthWest.. and I was a child at the time so I really dont remember it, just feeling excited that I had a window seat and was in fact in a plane going to florida/disney. xD

I already expected that staying IN ny would be very VERY expensive, Im hoping I can find a decent deal somewhere outside the city. I don't plan on renting a car, the thought of driving in a giant city makes me nervous and id probably spend most my time being hopelessly lost.

My son would probably love to see that mcdonalds xD hes a fast food fan, probably because we never eat it except maybe once a month if it looks like we wont get home in time for dinner. Every time we go out he still asks if we can eat at McD, or BK, or Tacobell etc.. and I ALWAYS say no xD.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 05:09:59 AM »
Well, I am from NYC and have been known to go on long haul flights a time or two. I could probably fly to the moon and back for free by now.

From my experience, Wednesdays seem to be the cheapest day to fly. Normally I search through sites like expedia or Kayak but sometimes going directly to an airlines website is the cheapest. My flight to China was $600 on delta and expedia was like $800. Domestic flights kinda suck but if you ever go international - you get a free meal and 2 checked bags for free.

Public transport is kinda pricy in NYC. You can stay outside the city but a one way train ticket into Manhattan can be $30 and the price depends on the time of your trip. Peak hours cost more. I am not sure about the subway or transport in NYC itself though. Its been a long time since I took the subway. Taxi's suck too. You pay not only milage but also the time it takes to get there, so if you get stuck in traffic, the meter keeps running.

If it were me, I would do one of the boat tours around the city via Circle line tours. I think they offer several different crusies.
http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/nyc-tours/cruises-in-new-york/circle-line-2-hour-sightseeing-harbor-cruises.html

Next to the Circle Line is the USS Intrepid. I have a degree in history so this is right up my alley but if your not into history there are plenty of other places to go. The Bronx zoo is one option but that may be hard to get to if you are staying in Manhattan. central Park has a zoo too, although I have never been to it. I think its pretty small though.
http://intrepidmuseum.org

Here is a list of all museums in NYC. Keep in mind that NYC is made up of 5 counties - Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhatttan (what everyone thinks of when they hear NYC), Statan island and Queens. Getting from one place to the other may be a bit of a challange if you choose to not stay in Manhattan. Millions of people travel from one to the other every day but you may want to look at a subway or train map first.

Post Merge: October 29, 2015, 05:10:23 AM

http://www.ny.com/museums/all.museums.html

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal