collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Getting back into anime  (Read 1448 times)

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
Re: Getting back into anime
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 04:28:25 PM »
I haven't actively watched any new anime series in almost a decade but one of the last ones I watched and really enjoyed was Princess Tutu. It is a nice mix of silly/serious and is just beautiful to watch. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood was also a pleasant surprise. I didn't think I'd like it but like Archer mentioned the pacing and so on is fantastic. There is an episode from that series that still haunts me every so often to this day lol.

In terms of long term favorites, I think Revolutionary Girl Utena is probably still at the top of my list.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:32:23 PM by flying_narwhal »

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »
*bounces in*
I have been watching more anime then normal lately. I was sent to a small city in China and there really isn't much to do here in my free time.

In the past month, I have watched:
Noragami. Also watching the 2nd season - Noragami Aragato as episodes become avalible.
Blue Exerocist
The devil is a part timer
Kamisama Kiss season 2.
They are all good except The devil is a part-timer does not have a season 2 and it kinda ends mid story.

Attack on Titan I have no interest in ever watching, it's not my type of story. I have seen some episodes of Sword Art Online, It's not bad. Fairy Tale and Magi are both pretty cool. Nura: rise of the yokai clan was awesome  too. Gintama and Hetalia are also good.

I like supernatural or Shounen/action best. Although I did enjoy Ouran high schol host club and maid-sama.

My favs:
1 - Yu Yu hakusho
2 - Rurouni Kenshin
3 - Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan
4 - Inuyasha
5 - Kamisama Kiss
6 - Inu X boku SS
7 - Fairy Tale
8 - Black Butler

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:47:26 PM by tikibirds »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline rearing_palomino164

• MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 06:12:32 PM »
I used to be very into anime in middle school. I stopped liking it for a long time. We just got hulu and they have all of the inuyasha episodes. I started watching those again.

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 07:55:03 PM »
I'm just going to warn you the animes and manga I watch/read tend to be on the darker and more mature side, but there are plenty that are not so heart breaking.

Ayashi no Ceres(a.k.a Ceres Celestial Legend)- Hands down my favorite manga series of all time, though I would avoid the anime version.
Chrno Crusade- both the anime and manga are great, though they each go in slightly different directions
Peach Girl
Elfen Lied(very mature and I would not watch unless you can handle gore or extreme violence
Wolf's Rain
Cardcaptor Sakura
Shikabane Hime(Corpse Princess)
Cowboy Bebop
Hellsing & Hellsing Ultimate
Fullmetal Alchemist & Brotherhood
Tenchi Muyo & Tenchi Universe- Stay away from Tenchi in Tokyo
Trigun
Vandread
Outlaw Star
Ruroni Kenshin
Chibi Vampire
Blue Seed
Kiddy Grade
Bubblegum Crisis

Um...hm...gosh, it has been so long since I comprised a list that I'm sure I am forgetting at least half of the manga and shows I have watch/read over the years.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 02:19:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for sharing your lists and recommendations! I got out of anime for a while because of an ex boyfriend. He was so into it he almost prioritized it over me and because of that I started to get a distaste for it. Thankfully, Kaleido Star is making me remember what I loved about it.

My mom and I watched three more episodes last night. There was a romance part in it and my mom actually said "aww". She never even does that at live action movies. Maybe I'll convince her to watch more with me. I am the type who prefers animation to live action. I just love artwork and anime has beautiful artwork.   And awesome music too. I just love Japanese pop in general and listed to a lot of it.

I am thinking of trying to see if my mom would like Rumbling Hearts. She loves Lifetime movies and movies about illness and romance mixed in, and that series has all that mixed in.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Princess Lala

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 06:29:15 AM »
I also watch Fate Stay Night!! Ooooh and someone mentioned Witch Hunter Robin!? I bought the entire series at Dollar General when I was a teenager omg that was a very emotional series! How could I forget to list Cardcaptor Sakyra!!?? Hmmm not exactly anime or manga but a series  I REALLY loves was W.I.T.C.H. Its is...sorta like anime? xP Also I love Romeo X Juliet too and Rosario Vampire! Geeeeze there is sooo many more anime out there I cant name that you need to watch! I recently saw a korean  anime movie on netflix about a nine-tailed fox which child living with aliens who fell iñ love with a human boy- it was very heartwarming!

Oh! Another amazing one is Parasyte! Its dark but idk i like the idea of animes with things eating humans and taking over the world- that stuff is perfect for Halloween! Its scary to watch at night. Tokyo Ghoul is similar, I REALLY love that one!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:38:35 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »
Yay, a thread about anime! A lot of my favorite series have been mentioned already. Cardcaptor Sakura is probably my favorite series of all time -- it strikes the perfect balance between romance and comedy and adventure. Shameless plug: You can watch it on Crunchyroll now!! I would definitely recommend the subbed version, though, not the dub; the original voice actors are the best.

I tend to like romantic comedies and/or slice-of-life animes, and sometimes action series. I like classics like Pretear, Fruits Basket, and Ouran, and newer stuff like Your Lie In April, Ao Haru Ride, Tamako Market, Nisekoi, Kobato, Toradora, Kimi ni Todoke, Honey and Clover (ending is kind of a bummer, though), and Hanasaku Iroha. As far as action series, I like Full Metal Panic, Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny, and Sword Art Online. Like Archer said, the first part of Sword Art Online is the best; the rest of the series gets kind of weird (but still worth watching if you like it). Oh, and flying_narwhal, I've seen Princess Tutu and I like it, too! At first I admit I thought it was kind of stupid (a duck who turns into a ballerina?), and then it really grew on me. I love Fakir's voice actor, so that helps. :) Oh, and Princess LaLa, I recently watched the live action Rurouni Kenshin movies and like them a lot! I've started reading the manga, too. I read a lot of manga, but don't get me started on that.  ^.^

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »
I recently saw a korean  anime movie on netflix about a nine-tailed fox which child living with aliens who fell iñ love with a human boy- it was very heartwarming!
That's Yobi the Five-Tailed Fox! I've seen it as well, it was cute.

I'm not much of an anime watcher, and I have a horrible habit of starting series and never finishing them. :huh: My favorites - that I've finished - are the following:

- Madoka Magica
- Trigun
- Clannad
- Various Studio Ghibli films

Edit: And I somehow forgot to mention Grave of the Fireflies.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:54:16 PM by Sundown »
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 07:43:39 AM »
I recently saw a korean  anime movie on netflix about a nine-tailed fox which child living with aliens who fell iñ love with a human boy- it was very heartwarming!
That's Yobi the Five-Tailed Fox! I've seen it as well, it was cute.

Netflix also had another Korean one called The House, which I though was also pretty good. Basically this girl wants to live in a expensive apartment but she ends up living in a run down old house with a friend. The houses are supposed to be demolished for a new hi-rise building. The girl discovers that the old houses have spirits and if the house is torn down or the owner dies, the spirits also die. She then tries to save the house spirits.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline thesugarpuppie

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • formerly Gothic Sugar
    • View Profile
    • My sites
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »
If your mom is into that, then she would probably love Rumbling Hearts.  My mom actually sat through Kaichou wa Maid Sama (The president is a maid) because she couldn't stand the looping day arc in Haruhi and really liked it, so you could try that one as well.

We watched the dub, but I think that the guy's acting was quite flat.
I'm not into the violent stuff, but she is, so for those of you who like that, Berserk is one.   A friend tried to get me into Elfen Lied but I turned it off after about 10 seconds.

Haruna, CCS is my favorte as well.  I really like shoujo and jousei (women and girls anime) and comedies.
Instagram
Twitter
Ko-fi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal