collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A Perplexing Situation * 10/30 Update  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
A Perplexing Situation * 10/30 Update
« on: October 11, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »
Hi all!
  So recently I added a lovely G1 Tic Tac Toe to my TE collection, and other than an odd shaped leg she arrived weeks ago in great condition.

However, recently I noticed something off about her. She has these tiny spots on her body that have the appearance of mold, but are not actually in her vinyl. They appear to be on her surface. If I hold her at the right angle, the spots actually have a bit of a shine to them, which I know is not a characteristic of plastic molds, or really anything that effects My Little Ponies. She is not at all sticky, so I don't think it's is a breakdown of the plastic in her body.

Me being the novice restorer I am, quickly used acetone on the markings, and I succeeded in taking quite a few of them off. I also scrubbed her and dried her in the hot sun of a windowsill to kill any potential mold growth (or whatever it is). So I am aware they are removable, but what they are is still a mystery. I  also think they are multiplying. As I said, when I bought her she had nothing off about her at all, and only recently she has had these spots appear. She is displayed with the rest of my MLP collection in a well ventilated room, and none of the other ponies have had any symptoms of the weird spots.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck these things are? I fear they are going to wreck not only Tic Tac, but also my other ponies...

Here's a pic:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

UPDATE: Some more of the flecks have come back. I think her plastic is degrading so I am going to try and conquer the stuff with acetone where it can be safely applied. Her symbol has some spots too, but I don't dare use it on the paint. Acetone won't eat the vinyl but I know it will eat paint. If anyone else has had an issue like this please comment or pm me! I need advice as to how to truly remove it..
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 07:41:16 AM by Chelsea7 »
My Tumblr

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: A Perplexing Situation
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »
Just to make sure you get the right answers...are we talking about the pink regrind mark or the faint brown dots? The dots do look like age marks unfortunately. They are caused by plasticisers breaking down and oil in the plastic unfortunately.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 03:44:53 PM »
yep; the good news is neither type of mark will spread to other ponies, the bad news is there's really no way to make them go completely away or prevent them.

The brownish ones will lighten with cleaning, sometimes, but pinkish or orange stain looking spots won't.  Make sure to keep her in a cool dry place, if you can, that might keep them from getting worse, I think?
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 06:28:55 AM »
yep; the good news is neither type of mark will spread to other ponies, the bad news is there's really no way to make them go completely away or prevent them.

The brownish ones will lighten with cleaning, sometimes, but pinkish or orange stain looking spots won't.  Make sure to keep her in a cool dry place, if you can, that might keep them from getting worse, I think?
I am relieved it doesn't spread! But that stinks that its becoming noticable. Acetone did take it off with some scrubbing, so I think I can remove a good amount of it. However, is acetone safe to use on the body? I don't use it on the symbols or anything painted, but it won't damage the vinyl correct?

Just to make sure you get the right answers...are we talking about the pink regrind mark or the faint brown dots? The dots do look like age marks unfortunately. They are caused by plasticisers breaking down and oil in the plastic unfortunately.
Not the regrind, those were there when I got her, I mean the little brown marks. They come off with Acetone though, so should I just keep using it to combat the plastic breakdown? I don't want to end up destroying the pony, as long as acetone is safe.
My Tumblr

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 03:46:50 PM »
If the marks are fully coming off with acetone, they're not likely to be age marks - those may lighten (slightly) with cleaning but they never disappear.  Perplexing. o_o  Not sure what it could be, the picture is rather ambiguous.  Acetone is indeed safe for use on vinyl, very much not safe for paint/flocking/glue. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 02:50:56 PM »
I think my bestie and I had these on some of our ponies when we used to play with them back in the day. they'd have a dark mark, which came off, but with a light stain beneath. However I haven't seen these marks on the ponies since I unpacked them again several years ago now, after being in storage for 4-5 years. The marks just faded away, or came off on my initial cleaning when I got them out again. I wouldn't stress, while they do look like age spots, apparently they aren't? The ponies weren't exposed to cigarette smoke that you know of, by any chance?

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Tiara546

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
I know these, too. To me, they are a kind of mold but then again, not really mold. Like a crossing of mold and age marks, I always thought of them as a problem of age that will always recur even if treated with acetone. I myself would store the pony in a place as dry as possible in order to prevent it going on. Will follow this thread in case anyone knows more. :)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 05:30:11 AM »
Perhaps she was exposed to some type of spray/splatter which was initially clear, but caused a reaction to the plastic/dye or the environment?  I don't know what it could be, but there are lots of potential sources from cleaning products to biologicals.  The different texture and the fact that they all popped up within a few weeks plus the fact it's cleanable with acetone would suggest some type of surface contamination.   It could be mould/fungal if the initial spray was something organic that it would find tasty, since vinyl itself isn't something mould can consume. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 09:47:21 AM »
Finally I got the chance to respond, I have been drowning in schoolwork...  :work:
Thanks to everyone who replied!

If the marks are fully coming off with acetone, they're not likely to be age marks - those may lighten (slightly) with cleaning but they never disappear.  Perplexing. o_o  Not sure what it could be, the picture is rather ambiguous.  Acetone is indeed safe for use on vinyl, very much not safe for paint/flocking/glue.

Okay awesome, I was so worried acetone would eat her vinyl, or lighten it. Tic Tac is such a bright colored pony considering she is yellow. And yes, the marks are fully coming off, and since my original post I have yet to see new ones crop up on her, only ones I may have missed remain on her.

I think my bestie and I had these on some of our ponies when we used to play with them back in the day. they'd have a dark mark, which came off, but with a light stain beneath. However I haven't seen these marks on the ponies since I unpacked them again several years ago now, after being in storage for 4-5 years. The marks just faded away, or came off on my initial cleaning when I got them out again. I wouldn't stress, while they do look like age spots, apparently they aren't? The ponies weren't exposed to cigarette smoke that you know of, by any chance?

I am pretty sure all ponies I purchased are from a smoke-free environment, and I myself have never touched a cigarette in my life. I am starting to think it is something I cleaned her with, like a soap or the conditioner I use on her. The only thing is that I use the same materials to clean all my ponies, and nobody else has these markings. And I have yet to see any lighter stains under the darker spots (fingers crossed none appear)

I know these, too. To me, they are a kind of mold but then again, not really mold. Like a crossing of mold and age marks, I always thought of them as a problem of age that will always recur even if treated with acetone. I myself would store the pony in a place as dry as possible in order to prevent it going on. Will follow this thread in case anyone knows more. :)

Thanks! And I plan to. My ponies are out on a dresser in my room (my roomies like to look at them XD) and the room itself is very well ventilated. I am keeping an eye out for any potential mold hazards. I would die if my ponies got moldy, but I also don't want mold getting on any of my other possessions o.o

Perhaps she was exposed to some type of spray/splatter which was initially clear, but caused a reaction to the plastic/dye or the environment?  I don't know what it could be, but there are lots of potential sources from cleaning products to biologicals.  The different texture and the fact that they all popped up within a few weeks plus the fact it's cleanable with acetone would suggest some type of surface contamination.   It could be mould/fungal if the initial spray was something organic that it would find tasty, since vinyl itself isn't something mould can consume. 

This is what I am thinking and going with, as of now. I think it may have been either something I used to clean her, or the seller used to clean her. Either way, I am taking precautions and watching for more spots. Tic Tac cost me quite a bit, and I don't want to lose her or have her spread any weird contagious things to my other ponies.

I'll keep you guys updated  ;)
My Tumblr

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 02:34:34 PM »
I think unfortunately it does sound like some kind of age mark - they come in all manner of degrees. So you will no doubt manage to remove the surface discolouration which will have leaked on to the out of the plastic. The more deeply ingrained discolouration could be an issue but as long as you keep an eye on it you will be able to treat if and when it creeps back.

TTT is one of those girls a prone to age marks unfortunately so to have one with minimal issues is great :)
Loa is my love god!

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: A Perplexing Situation * 10/30 Update
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 07:41:31 AM »
A new update on the situation..
My Tumblr

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 12:21:54 AM »
If the marks are coming back, it does sound like some sort of VDS / age spots - it's entropy, there is no stopping it, sadly.  You can treat the symptoms (sometimes) but it's the nature of an unstable compound material to break down with age.  Proper storage conditions will slow the process down, that's about all that can be hoped for.

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 10:08:55 AM »
If the marks are coming back, it does sound like some sort of VDS / age spots - it's entropy, there is no stopping it, sadly.  You can treat the symptoms (sometimes) but it's the nature of an unstable compound material to break down with age.  Proper storage conditions will slow the process down, that's about all that can be hoped for.
Well at least they aren't mold! I'd rather they be age marks, since they arent all that noticable unless you really look. I don't have a fear of them being catchy either, if they are age related. Ah well, Ill just store my Tic Tac seperately until the spots stop popping up.
My Tumblr

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
Oh thats a shame :( Unfortunately it does mean age marks are no doubt what they are. Just keep an eye on them and treat the stain. Eventually it will stop but she may develop more over time.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 06:07:07 PM »
I think unfortunately it does sound like some kind of age mark - they come in all manner of degrees. So you will no doubt manage to remove the surface discolouration which will have leaked on to the out of the plastic. The more deeply ingrained discolouration could be an issue but as long as you keep an eye on it you will be able to treat if and when it creeps back.

TTT is one of those girls a prone to age marks unfortunately so to have one with minimal issues is great :)
^^^
Good to know.. ^.^

--- Age spots are the worst!  >_<

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal