collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Questions for my artists!  (Read 1221 times)

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
Questions for my artists!
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:05:44 AM »
Hi guys!

So, I've been drawing for years now and finally feel like I'm ready to branch out and start selling my illustrations. I just don't know where to start. I constantly post my art on facebook and get lots of comments and likes from my friends and acquaintances. Ive gotten commissions before too, but not as many as I would like. I'm just looking for help and tips.

For those with experience selling their art, where did you start? How did you get to where you are now and have a steady line of clients coming in asking for art? Where do you go to get your art out there? I used to have a deviantart years ago. I mainly did art trades and requests and would get flooded with them and never finish them. I also don't have my wacom tablet anymore so, that breaks down what I can do. For now I'm just doing traditional art until I can save up for a better computer with a new tablet.

Any help is appreciated! Even tips on how to improve my art! lol!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline LovelyLittlePony

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • :3
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for my artists!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 03:03:33 PM »
I'd say give Instagram a try ! I have one and that's where most of my commissions come from. It's pretty easy to become popular on there if you post artwork frequently. And the more followers you get, the better the chances are that you'll find people that will want to commission you (: I find it a lot easier and more convenient than deviantart and I've gotten way more of a response from Instagram. So that's my suggestion on where to start !

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 04:43:39 PM »
LovelyLittlePony has a good point, I'm afraid social media is the way to go these days. I didn't even think of Instagram but that's probably a good idea. Many artists I follow have either left deviantART or are using social media in addition, Facebook and Tumblr seem to be the most popular options. I think it's also a good idea to have a website of your own, that will give you free hands in creating a customised portfolio and it looks professional, in my opinion.

What is really important is having good quality photos/scans of your works so I would invest in a good scanner or camera, or find a friend who's good at photographing. Sometimes it's so hard to capture traditional art and make it look good online! :shakefist:  But a good picture can make or break the deal, it's important to display your art in a way that looks appealing to potential customers.

Best of luck!  :art:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline rearing_palomino164

• MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 08:11:58 PM »
Thank you both for the tips!

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline calzephyr

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.purple-pony.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »
Are there local conventions you could have a table at? When I started selling my photography, I had only three pictures (heh!) and $12 in sales. It's grown since then...but sometimes just getting out there can be a fun learning experience too :-) You might like the Artist Alley International Network on Facebook too. It's a super friendly, helpful and enthusiastic group.
::: Visit My Etsy Shop - http://calzephyr.etsy.com and DA Gallery - http://calzephyr.deviantart.com :::

Offline PrincessStarlily

• Ponyland Historian
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Jeremiah 29:11 - God has a plan for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 05:34:16 PM »
Great questions! I wish you well in your artistic endeavors. From the guitar I saw you painted, you can definitely be overwhelmed with demand if you advertise in the right places. ^.^

Here's my story...my situation is more of real-life advertising than online, but you can still try it out. You'll find that making personal connections face-to-face really starts up a verbal network amongst people, and before you know it, people who have bought your art will be telling all their friends, and so on.

A little over a year ago, I decided to offer horse and mule portraits to boarders at the stable I rode at. I've always loved colored pencils, so made sure to purchase a set of Prismacolors as quality supplies. To advertise, I opened up Microsoft Publisher and found a tri-fold brochure template and filled it out with pricing and contact information, being sure to add a couple of examples of my work. I printed a stack of these out and tacked them on corkboards outside the stable tack rooms. Since quite a number of people board there, I soon noticed many of the brochures missing and continued to restock. Even though I had included my email and phone number on the brochures, most of my commissions came from people who caught me riding and mentioned face-to-face that they wanted my art.

After several of these commissions, people started asking me if I would do other animals, and one woman even asked about human portraits. While I haven't started those yet, I've expanded my commission business to other pets like dogs and cats. My parents knew how much I was in demand, and my dad mentions my art to friends at work. Also, people who have moved horse stables have asked for me to post my brochures in the new place. I didn't do much at all but make sure my information was in the open for people to take!

As one final note, never, ever, EVER underestimate your work. EVER. I sold my first few commissions, then met my art mentor and told her about my pricing. She shook her head and told her that I was asking far too little; just this July I bumped them up ($50-55 graphite portraits, $75-80 colored pencil, $5 difference depending on paper size (9"x12" or 11"x14"). Honestly, I'm still getting so many requests that I'm considering raising prices again. I only have so much time for art!

Okay, one last thing that I know you'll find invaluable. Pore over this website if you want solid advice on starting to sell your art; it has a PLETHORA of information. The Abundant Artist One of the site creator's biggest pieces of advice is to make yourself a professional website. I plan to do so within the next year; once you have one you can add the address to website profiles and business cards.

Hope this helps! Keep in mind that real-life networking actually works.

God bless,
Starlily
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:36:20 PM by PrincessStarlily »

Thanks to Storm.Runner for my avatar and SDS for my sig!
Painted LaceMelody RoseJuniper JoyStarlily

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal