collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What makes a pony "bait"?  (Read 520 times)

Offline moevelvet

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
What makes a pony "bait"?
« on: August 31, 2015, 07:49:20 PM »
I know everyone has different standards.  A lot of ponies in my collection would be considered "bait" to others.
Maybe I'm just sentimental, but I can hardly ever bring myself to wipe a pony clean unless she's completely unfixable.
So what about you?  WHat specific qualities make a pony "bait" to you?
Current profile pic from: http://kero444.deviantart.com/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Ember by Nence

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a pony "bait"?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:16:16 PM »
There's no one singular definition that everyone is going to agree on for 'bait' - and for most collectors, the definition varies even from pony to pony.  For example, childhood ponies will rarely if ever be considered custom bait because they hold irreplaceable sentimental value. Similarly non-sentimental ponies will vary in bait status based on their relative monetary value - even the poorest condition Rapunzel will find a buyer, while it takes little to render a Peachy or Pinkie Pie undesirable to almost anyone. 

Generally I don't consider anything for bait that doesn't have at least one un-restorable to factory condition flaw unless the pony is very common - be that loss of original paint, flocking, permanent marks, physical damage, etc. Common ones still need to be heavily flawed (usually unredeemable hair) before they're off to the bait box.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:02:46 PM »
There's a peer-reviewed list here:
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Bait

Which came from this thread:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,293202.0.html

Hope that helps!  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:55:44 PM »
 Holes or bites , extensive marks and severe hair cuts or   hair so damaged it would have to be rehaired
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:28:39 AM »
To me bait would be unfixable things, like bad PVC Breakdown, missing hair, missing/chewed limbs, symbols/blush completely gone, flocking that has got to go, permanent marker scribbles etc.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Bommels

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 08:34:59 AM »
I'm a sucker for "survivor" ponies - the ones who suffered the most damage can come live with me in peace. I have a Sprinkles who is missing the top of her left ear, and I will definitely try to fix her! Fixing ponies is half the fun to me :) I have a soft spot for old toys, they just need love ♥
Basically, I don't like giving up on a pony, and that's what labelling her as "bait" feels like to me^^ The day might come, though...

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 08:38:23 AM »
I don't lose much sleep over what other folks consider bait... People can do what they want with their own ponies... But for me (who is not even a customizer)- if the restoration work needed on it is enough that you're basically customizing it anyway, I should think it's fair game to be transformed into a totally new pony. I might hesitate more on a harder to find pony though, depending on the condition.

Offline moevelvet

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 08:47:50 AM »
I don't lose much sleep over what other folks consider bait... People can do what they want with their own ponies... But for me (who is not even a customizer)- if the restoration work needed on it is enough that you're basically customizing it anyway, I should think it's fair game to be transformed into a totally new pony. I might hesitate more on a harder to find pony though, depending on the condition.

This is an interesting take on it!

There's a peer-reviewed list here:
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Bait

Which came from this thread:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,293202.0.html

Hope that helps!  :)

Thanks, that list is very helpful!  Is there another list, something like the opposite of the "do not customize" list - the most common ponies?

I'm a sucker for "survivor" ponies - the ones who suffered the most damage can come live with me in peace. I have a Sprinkles who is missing the top of her left ear, and I will definitely try to fix her! Fixing ponies is half the fun to me :) I have a soft spot for old toys, they just need love ♥
Basically, I don't like giving up on a pony, and that's what labelling her as "bait" feels like to me^^ The day might come, though...

I feel the same way, I love to take sad ponies and give them a loving home.  But I've been itching to do some customizing, and sometimes they just need a whole new take on life.

Thanks for your input everyone! 

Do you find that your standards change depending on the generation?  Is a G1 inherently more qualified to be restored than a G3?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:53:57 AM by moevelvet »
Current profile pic from: http://kero444.deviantart.com/
Ember by Nence

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 11:32:21 AM »
Do you find that your standards change depending on the generation?  Is a G1 inherently more qualified to be restored than a G3?

Generally yes.  The less common a given pony is (and almost every G1 is more valuable than an average G3) the more consideration should be given to restoration rather than customization.

There is no 'very common' list, but on average the earlier a pony was in the G1 run, the more common it is.  There are more Cotton Candys, Peachys, and Moondancers than there are Baby Pineapples, Bright Eyes, or Flowerbursts.  Second or third sets are also rarer than first sets - i.e. Windywings vs Summerwings, 2nd and 3rd set Twinkle Eyes or Flutters, exist in smaller numbers unless they are reissues like Speedy or Rosedust.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »
Even if there is no list of the most common ponies, a few days browsing sales threads and ebay will give you quite a good intake on who is common and who is not. And there is always the option of picking up a brand new Pinkie Pie from a toy store to customize. I'm pretty sure there will not be a shortage of those anytime soon. :P Also fakies make good practice pieces. Keep an eye out for "crumpet fakies", "dollar general baby fakies" or G3 mold fakies if you feel unsure of customizing real Hasbro ponies. :)

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 07:20:58 PM »
Here is the G3 list of HTF:
http://strawberryreef.com/Topics/rare.html

As far as the Most Common Ponies... I would say any of them from Years 1-5 can be given a customized life without too much worry - there are more of them.  After Year 5 though we start getting more "gimmicky" and unique ideas so restoring is preferable.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 07:35:49 PM »
if the restoration work needed on it is enough that you're basically customizing it anyway, I should think it's fair game to be transformed into a totally new pony.

I agree. I also feel the same about rehairs. If the hair needs to be replaced might as well change it. The hair isn't factory any more either way.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:38:10 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 01:42:12 PM »
I absolutely agree with what has been mentioned earlier...bait is in the eye of the beholder and cant really be defined by the community in general. What devalues a pony to one person may not bother another collector or there may simply be differing levels of devaluing.

I am a fussy collector so anything not fixable or anything which changes something original on the pony, makes the pony bait to me. But for others a pony's condition will no doubt need to be in much worse condition.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal