collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What's your gender?

Male
Female
Neither
Both
Other (feel free to specify!)

Author Topic: I'm going to be nosey! Gender identity...?  (Read 12559 times)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
I'm going to be nosey! Gender identity...?
« on: August 25, 2015, 10:38:54 AM »
I'm really curious! I want to know what sort of genders populate this forum.
I've always assumed this place is mostly female, which I decided was quite silly (probably because """MLP = girls toys""" as if toy horses have a gender)

Definitely don't feel pressured to respond though!
Personally I'd pick the "neither" option since I'm non binary. Nifty definition ahoy! :good:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

AutisticandProudLuna

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I'm going to be nosey! Gender identity...?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:41:10 AM »
Also non-binary! How I define the specifics vary, but often agender and with a lot of association with my assigned identity (assigned female at birth) due to how I am treated in society being wholly shaped by it.

Offline moevelvet

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:04:17 AM »
This is an interesting topic!  I personally identify as agender, but irl I present as feminine.  People generally assume I'm a girl due to my interests and appearance, but I don't really mind it.
Current profile pic from: http://kero444.deviantart.com/
Ember by Nence

Offline DemonicSymphony

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 11:08:33 AM »
Male here. DFAB though.
I rescue unwanted plushies. PM me for details!

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 11:13:59 AM »
Very much identify as female. Am curious about these other gender identities, though... To be honest, the very concept of them doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not meaning to talk down on them in any way, I'm asking because I want them to make sense for me.

|My Collection|

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
Like the above poster, I totally identify as the gender I was born with: female.

I was a tomboy when I was younger, and to an extent, I still am.  Still, I feel that I'm mostly feminine.

This is an interesting subject, though.  A good friend of mine is currently transitioning to female from male, and I have to say that the whole gender identity thing fascinates me.  Being born a female and identifying with that, I can't really grasp the feeling of being born as one thing and wanting to/feeling that you are another.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:20:30 AM by MoonbeamStar »
Instagram / Want List

Offline CadePony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Obsessed with My Little Pony and Transformers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 11:19:07 AM »
I 100% identify myself as a female. I dress like a tomboy, and oftentimes act like one, but for the most part I consider myself to be pretty feminine.

:heart: Thanks Nence for my adoptables in my sig and avatar!  :heart:

Offline icecreamgirl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 11:26:01 AM »
This is a very interesting topic. I'm all girl! I had a look at the non binary link that sapphire rain provided and I never realised there were so many differing genders
Thanks to lunar_scythe & kittywhiskers for my adoptables

AutisticandProudLuna

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 11:34:22 AM »
For me it's not so much that I was born assigned one thing and suit another existing one better. I just think gender in society as a whole is....not very accurate or good? While it's true I'm also non-binary in that I felt like it since I was young, I just don't think society's gender roles should exist anything like they do. Ideally, life roles and expectations should have no basis in gender, and absolutely no basis in one's biology.  :)

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »
I picked both as I identify as Two-Spirits. Ever since growing up in both boy and girl 'tribles' in primary school I always had the feeling I have two rather distinct sides.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 11:55:24 AM »
Very much identify as female. Am curious about these other gender identities, though... To be honest, the very concept of them doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not meaning to talk down on them in any way, I'm asking because I want them to make sense for me.

Don't worry, we can tell!
Basically imagine that you were assigned a certain something at birth that you're expected to identify as from then on, even if you don't completely understand it.
Like, for instance you're probably a person but at birth you were given a species to be. Also imagine that there's only two that 99% of people acknowlege: cat and dog.
You're assigned to be a cat.

But as you grow up, you don't agree that you're a cat? Maybe you find that you're actually a dog, or another species entirely (like say a fox). That's what basically being trans is. You're assigned a gender out of only 2 of the millions that people discover, but it doesn't apply to you at all. Another gender does.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 12:02:15 PM »
Not to offend anyone. But for the girls saying they're tomboys but still feminine,  you do get that you can be a tomboy and like boy things and not be gender confused right? Like as a child I wore dresses but climbed trees and played baseball. I'm in the military in a male dominant field. I identify as female. I don't apologize for how I am or feel I need to justify myself. Sometimes it seems like if we're tomboys we almost apologize for not saying we identify male. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the more accepted Trans, gender fluid etc becomes the more we try to push someone into a label.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 12:11:38 PM »
I'm female.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 12:19:12 PM »
Not to offend anyone. But for the girls saying they're tomboys but still feminine,  you do get that you can be a tomboy and like boy things and not be gender confused right? Like as a child I wore dresses but climbed trees and played baseball. I'm in the military in a male dominant field. I identify as female. I don't apologize for how I am or feel I need to justify myself. Sometimes it seems like if we're tomboys we almost apologize for not saying we identify male. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the more accepted Trans, gender fluid etc becomes the more we try to push someone into a label.

Oh, I know this.  That's why I said I still identify as completely female.  I've never felt the need to justify being a tomboy, or liking things that guys normally like.  My interests don't define my gender.  I'm perfectly happy being a girl and have never felt anything else.

Then again, I never said I was gender confused or anything, so maybe you weren't talking about me. :lol:

In any case, I agree with you.

Still, this is a topic that I've been interested in.  I know I'll never get it, but it's nice to read about how others have come to terms with their true gender(s), things like that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:28:18 PM by MoonbeamStar »
Instagram / Want List

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »
So true. There are far too many tomboyish girls that jump into conclusions instead of taking the long way of self-discovery. I partially blame the term itself, having the 'boy' in it. On the othr hand it's also the gender norms to blame, for being a tomboy girl is generally less out of place than being a girly guy, so former might have some difficulties understanding themselves.

In these cases I always suggest trying not to think of society's 'rules' but listen deeply to your mind and heart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal