collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any Cat Behavior Experts Around?  (Read 852 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Any Cat Behavior Experts Around?
« on: August 20, 2015, 06:11:10 AM »
I feel a little silly asking, because its not even an aggressive or destructive type of behavior xD.

However I got a new cat a few weeks ago, and while shes not a kitten, she is still young. I'm not sure on her age, but I know she was old enough to have been spayed before I received her. I was told that she was an outside cat, she needed to be rehomed because coyotes had killed all her siblings and mother, the owners of the property didn't want the same thing to happen to her but could not have an indoor cat. Since I was looking for a cat, I jumped on it because she was free and already fixed and win win lol. I prepared myself for a range of different behaviors, having some experience with friendly outdoor cats and feral outdoor cats, and having no idea which type she would be.

Pixel surprised me by not displaying ANY of these things, instead she very quickly bonded to me, acts mostly indifferent to the other cats, once she finally was allowed to meet them, and has never once begged to go outside or even made an escape attempt. Very playful, but gentle and absolutely a glutton for belly rubs and ear scratches.

The only thing iv noticed is that she runs and hides whenever someone enters a room, but will quickly come out if shes called. I feel bad because she can be dozing in the main room window, but then is instantly awake and zooms out back into my room, under her chair, as soon as someone entered the room.

Im hoping shell grow out of it, but it almost seems like its getting worse? I try to make entering a room a positive experience by calling out to her quietly and occasionally shell approach me and i give her scratches and then she seems comfortable, more more often then not shes out of there before I have a chance. Yesterday she was in such a panic to get out that she flew down my steps, missing the last few and slammed into the ground, I was so afraid she would be hurt, I lost a pet a long time ago because it fell down the steps, but luckily she was fine.

Sorry about the long post, but I figured Id try to get as much info in as I could. She's an absolute darling and just fit in so easily, I didn't even have to try, its just this one thing that worries me.

I know that it takes time for new pets to get used to their new surroundings, I have a lot of experience with this so, yes I expect it. Its just this behavior is getting worse instead of better and if anyone has advice on that then Id welcome it. I don't want it to become some sort of imprinted behavior where shes just always going to be afraid of people entering a room even if she knows them.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline ArtyAmy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
Re: Any Cat Behavior Experts Around?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:06:58 AM »
Maybe she had a bad experience in her old home? A couple things you could try are:
1. Ignoring her completely when you enter a room, let her come to you. Eventually she wont see people entering a room as a big deal.
2. Have some of her favourite food at hand when you enter the room, something smelly so she knows you have. Get your friends/family to do the same and gradually she should associated people coming into the room with getting treats.

I'm not an expert but I've had many cats, one quite a nervous cat when we first got her, so I hope it's some sort of help.
Your new kitty sound lovely though ^^.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:19:13 AM »
My cat Kyo went through that when he was younger. It came out of nowhere one day and then got worse for a while. We just ignored it and let him do what he does and eventually he did out grow it. With most fears in pets it is best to just continue life as normal and ignore their freaking out. It gives them confidence seeing you not affected by the things that scare them. Worrying over them only really justifies their fear. Ignoring it doesn't always work, but most of the time, in my experience, it is usually the most effective way.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »
One of my cats does much the same. He's around seven or eight and usually if someone enters a room he's in, he'll take off in the opposite direction. I've found with him it's just better to leave him alone when he does that and he'll eventually come back on his own. That way he doesn't feel like he's being chased so he can relax and re-enter the room on his own terms.

The idea of bringing treats with you when enter a room is also good. I'm a little hesitant because I don't like pets becoming treat fiends but it can definitely help establish trust and assure her nothing bad will happen when people come in the room.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »
My Buddycat does this sometimes.  He was a stray that turned up in my back yard last year and we took him in (and then the medical saga started but that's another story!).  He'll be 2 in October, and the skittishness comes and goes.  Sometimes he doesn't care at all when people come in, sometimes it terrifies him but he'll come back out when he sees it's just us.  Pixel will probably outgrow it, especially if she's normally cool with whatever is happening around her.

Cats are just weird.  :)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 10:39:47 AM »
see what makes her happy and reward her for the correct behavior.

Im no expert but that seems to be the most logical thing to do :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »
Semi-feral cats can be like this  (such as kittens that were adopted when they were somewhat older or adult sized or maybe had only limited contact with people)

They tend to be more relaxed/silly when kittens- and the skittishness sets in when they are a little older. Our cat Ruben is like that, we always joke that he looks at us like we are "trying to kill him" he shoots out of a room so fast you'd think his tail was on fire.  But he is absolutely comfortable when we are sitting down (or laying down) and completely demanding of attention or pets. 

I don't think this behavior has changed much over the years, it is just some hard-wiring, they really can't help it.  Doesn't mean your cat doesn't love or trust you though- she just can't kick the initial instinct to run first ask questions later... because that's what her mama told her to do.

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »
my oldest cat Ember still does this, she'll be sleeping on my lap and my sister -who lives with me so yes Ember knows her  rather well- will come in from outside and Ember will run off. she's just a naturally skittish cat, even though she was the bravest little kitten I ever knew. Don't know what made her change behaviors like that when she grew up
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »
I'm no cat expert, but you could try getting Pixel cuddled up with someone, lots of pets, very content and relaxed. Then have someone else come into the room. If the first person stays calm, pays no attention to the newcomer and keeps petting Pixel, it may help her see all is well with the change.

I had to do something similar with a family dog before. With me, and those he was comfortable with, he was a total suck. But anyone new he would growl and back away. I got the idea to hold and comfort him, then go over to the new person and interact with them. He accepted them right away after seeing that I approved of the other person.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »
Agree, see what she responds better to and go with it.  Love the name you chose!!  My Tonkinese was named Pixel too.  :kitty:
:socks:   :frog:

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 05:29:00 AM »
Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it! ^-^ its reassuring to know that she might grow out of it, and if not... well shes still a perfect little girl. :p
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 06:32:38 AM »
I'd suggest once she comes out encouraging the new vistors to pet her and even giving her a special treat that she only gets for meeting new people (a good idea if she'll take them is to allow the vistors to feed her). The big idea is that you want her to know that new people means good things, you also want to praise her for not being scared.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal