collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: You Keep Using that Word, I Don't think it Means What you Think it means  (Read 3233 times)

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
So I just found this and it's both confused me and made me laugh and made me think that article writers sometimes need to sit down and research a bit more.

As it's claiming the current trend for pastel hair like this
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

is apparently a style named 'Brony' and so people doing this hairstlye are 'My Little Bronies' and cites that people are trying to replicate the manes of MLPs from the 80s.

Am I missing something here? Because pretty sure I've never seen this term used to refer to a haircut. But then journalists making mistakes when talking about MLP is nothing new.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
*pounds table laughing so hard*  Oh you can't escape the 80's... not even if you want nothing to do with it! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Replicating anything from the 80s also has nothing to do with 'Bronies', since they're a 21st century invention XD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Where do people come up with this stuff? I like her hair though.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
They look more like they're recreating Jem and the Holograms more than anything else...  :P
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
Its old news when ever they bring up anything brony related.
I don't have anything agest them as my own brothers are.
I juess the word is nagitive anymore, that is pretty sad.

I do wish people would actuelly be able to tell the diffrence between
80s and new mlp.

It's not that hard to understand if they would reserch rather than just
Throw the word brony around.

I find it annoying being an old time collector and people call me brony
I explain it but it just goes over thair head and they call me brony again.
I just look at them like they are a  moron.

And again I have nothing agenst brony, I am just not a brony.
And I wish people would stop throwing it around.

The hair style is just called pastel or rainbow and there is another name I just can't recall it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:44:41 AM by LightingElectricDream »
:accomplished:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Agree with above two posts. Not a brony. Bronies are new. I also dislike being called by a term I predate.

And definitely more of a Jem vibe, though with Rainbow Rocks, cross series confusion is understandable.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
Replicating anything from the 80s also has nothing to do with 'Bronies', since they're a 21st century invention XD.

Exactly what I was thinking!

I find it annoying being an old time collector and people call me brony
I explain it but it just goes over thair head and they call me brony again.
I just look at them like a moron.

Sadly, there's some number of them that believe that the 'Brony' title is not a chosen title, but something that they get to brand on each and every individual that is an older fan of MLP.

I honestly don't even understand why we need fandom titles. Seems like the MLP fandom was doing all too fine without one before the 'Bronies' came around and created their own fandom. Honestly I don't like fandom titles at all, and when people start applying them on people who do not want them to be applied to, they're ruining every bit of fun that a fandom title is even supposed to be.

...But that's a bit of an off-topic rant.

|My Collection|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Hey Journalists. You know what we call that? C'mere, this'll blow your mind. We just call it dyed hair. It's been around for a really long time. Furthermore, the term Brony did not exist back then. People who played with MLP toys were called Kids. Amazing aint it?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 08:58:59 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
I'm just going to randomly throw in, slightly off-topic, that I really like her hair! ^.^ I'm sure a complex dye job like that could go very, very wrong, but hers is done so well. Very pretty.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: You Keep Using that Word, I Don't think it Means What you Think it means
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 09:00:39 AM »
I'm just going to randomly throw in, slightly off-topic, that I really like her hair! ^.^ I'm sure a complex dye job like that could go very, very wrong, but hers is done so well. Very pretty.

It sure is. I'd love to be able to do that to my hair. :lovey:

Offline Kittywhiskers

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • Kai, he/him or they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
And once again, journalists have no idea what they're saying, and are too lazy to spend a few minutes looking stuff up on Google... even though information is often available without people having to put in any actual effort at all, why bother trying to find real information when you can just make stuff up and pretend you know stuff when you don't? It pays so well after all.  :yucky:

That is some pretty hair, but it has nothing to do with dudes who like G4 MLP, or fans of older gens for that matter. Although there is some overlap between people who like ponies and people who like the idea of dying their hair like that, since both groups like pretty colors. (There's also an overlap between people who like the Kirby anime and people who like Steven Universe, since both shows are emotional rollercoasters involving weird aliens and a kid whose evil-fighting destiny isn't gonna wait for him to grow up first. But they don't have anything to do with each other either. They're just two unrelated fun things that happen to be enjoyed by some of the same people. I think I'm starting to get off-topic here.)
Cannot have anything scented in the house, unfortunately. Seeking the unscented, magnetless variant of Thistle Whistle. (And wishing the other Sunny Scent ponies got similar ones, because they're lovely. *sigh*)

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 09:27:39 AM »
Inconceivable!
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 09:32:08 AM »
And once again, journalists have no idea what they're saying, and are too lazy to spend a few minutes looking stuff up on Google... even though information is often available without people having to put in any actual effort at all, why bother trying to find real information when you can just make stuff up and pretend you know stuff when you don't? It pays so well after all.  :yucky:

That is some pretty hair, but it has nothing to do with dudes who like G4 MLP, or fans of older gens for that matter. Although there is some overlap between people who like ponies and people who like the idea of dying their hair like that, since both groups like pretty colors. (There's also an overlap between people who like the Kirby anime and people who like Steven Universe, since both shows are emotional rollercoasters involving weird aliens and a kid whose evil-fighting destiny isn't gonna wait for him to grow up first. But they don't have anything to do with each other either. They're just two unrelated fun things that happen to be enjoyed by some of the same people. I think I'm starting to get off-topic here.)

Yeah it feels like this person wanted to write about pastel hair and then didn't even do a minimum of research. Like I could understand it if it was like 'this new style reminds us of My Little Ponies' but like as far as I know there's no connection otherwise.

Like I think the pastel hair trend has been a 'thing' for a while anyway and generally I've heard it called things like 'mermaid hair'. Like I've seen comparisons to MLP but that was done in a snarky way like someone had some purple highlights and then an article was like 'omg she looks like a my little pony, lol'

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 09:40:02 AM »
Hey Journalists. You know what we call that? C'mere, this'll blow your mind. We just call it dyed hair. It's been around for a really long time. Furthermore, the term Brony did not exist back then. People who played with MLP toys were called Kids. Amazing aint it?

Kids playing with toys? Nevah.

I preferred it when the most anyone ever bothered about dissing mlp was singing my little pony, skinny and bony in the playground. At least then it was an acceptable response to chase the offenders and poke them with a unicorn.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal