collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair for Beginners?  (Read 613 times)

Offline LadyLuckyLeaf

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • formerly BabyTwilight
    • View Profile
Hair for Beginners?
« on: August 15, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »
I've never made a custom before, so I apologize if this question is old hat.

I've got some young friends who are into G4. I'm going to throw a customizing party for them. I'm assuming the ponies will probably turn out pretty terribly, so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on materials.

I know dollyhair.com is the most popular. But pricing it out, is it safe to assume it'd cost about $5 per pony? Is there a source for hair that's a bit cheaper, but maybe not the best quality?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Hair for Beginners?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »
You can always go for wig hair.. It doesn't have a great feel but if you are looking for a lot at once then that is the way to go.

You can also by packs of normal colored doll hair from craft and hobby stores. Some of these are precurled and some are straight. Yarn and thread for sewing is another option :)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 06:42:49 PM »
Do you have a Dollar Tree nearby? They usually have children's "hair extensions" in the toy section for a dollar each. They come in all kinds of colors and pretty long, so I think one would be enough to do a G4 pony. Especially if you folded it over and cut it in half.
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline LadyLuckyLeaf

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • formerly BabyTwilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 03:15:36 AM »
Great ideas, guys. Thank you!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »
I go to local thrift stores and pick up those barbie/bratz styling heads.  They usually only cost $1-$2 and I get a ton of hair out of each one.  Most colors are blonde, shades of brown and black but I've also found some reds and shades of orange.  I also use larger dolls if the hair feels like it could be pony hair.  If you go with the larger Strawberry Shortcake dolls you can get a light purple, bright yellow and shades of pink and blue.  I like to use those kinds of hair because they're designed to endure being brushed and played with so they work nicely for pony hair.  I always wash them before making the hair plugs because you never know which "products" kids have used to style the hair.  :lol:

Since the hair is already divided up into plugs, I go with the knot method.  It requires removing the ponies' heads to rehair them, which I'm okay with, but I don't know which method you're using. Some of them might have long enough hair to do the needle method, but I've never tried it so you might need to experiment with it.  I've found that if I make up the plugs in advance I can pop out a rehair in under an hour.  (Though making the plugs can take a long time, so be prepared to put in movies.  Maybe consider a Lord of the Rings marathon.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal