collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unicorns Of Balinor Book Series  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
Unicorns Of Balinor Book Series
« on: August 11, 2015, 03:52:49 PM »
I went to the used bookstore down the street from my house hoping to find a couple of books, I found one I was looking for and I had seen the Unicorns of Balinor book series among other series of books in with the kids books.  I passed on it but this time I decided to take a better look at them, reading the synopsis, etc.  They were $1.75 each.

I read the Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Coville.  I sort of grew up with them, as it took a while for him to get through the series of books but well worth the wait.  Anyway, I think someone here recommended the Unicorns of Balinor to read since I enjoyed the Unicorn Chronicles.

I figured if I didn't like the books I didn't spend that much on them.  I bought all they had.  I went to the website for the books and it looks like they made 8 in the series and the bookstore had all but book 5 and book 8, which I can probably get on amazon.  I haven't read them yet.  I have this obsession with buying books recently.  I'm working on The Lord of the Rings trilogy after having read The Hobbit, but I read other books to take a break from the series.  I figured with the books being large print they won't take me that long to read.

To those that have read this series, what did you think?

Offline moevelvet

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unicorns Of Balinor Book Series
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 04:22:58 PM »
Oooh, I read that series when I was about 10!  I absolutely loved it, I should read it again.
Current profile pic from: http://kero444.deviantart.com/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Ember by Nence

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 05:38:36 PM »
Oooh, I read that series when I was about 10!  I absolutely loved it, I should read it again.

That gives me hope that it's good.  :biggrin:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 06:25:44 PM »
I've got the first 3 but haven't read them yet. In the process of checking out the series and looking to completing it, I found out it just sorta stops before the story is really told and I'm not sure whether or not I want to bother now. I figure I'll decide later.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 02:51:38 AM »
I ordered book 5 on amazon.  I didn't have enough on my amazon gift card to get book 8 but I will when I can. I haven't started reading them yet, I just wanted to get all the books first.  Maybe the series kind of lost it's popularity and the author decided not to write any more books.

Offline moevelvet

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:17:48 AM »
If you're looking for other unicorn books to read, another of my childhood favorites was the Unicorn's Secret series by Kathleen Duey.
Current profile pic from: http://kero444.deviantart.com/
Ember by Nence

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 10:06:01 AM »
Sounds like they are a good read :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »
I ordered book 5 on amazon.  I didn't have enough on my amazon gift card to get book 8 but I will when I can. I haven't started reading them yet, I just wanted to get all the books first.  Maybe the series kind of lost it's popularity and the author decided not to write any more books.

No, her contract ran out and she decided not to renew it. From what I can tell they were pretty popular. She may have just lost interest or maybe her contract was awful or something else entirely. Who knows?

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 01:00:50 PM »
I read the whole series multiple times when I was younger, they were one of my favorites! You'll probably enjoy them. :)
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »
If you're looking for other unicorn books to read, another of my childhood favorites was the Unicorn's Secret series by Kathleen Duey.

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 05:29:02 PM »
I absolutely loved the series when I was a little kid, and I actually still have the series on my bookshelf even twenty years later! It was pretty well written in my six year old opinion, and as an adult the series is a nice quick read. Plus the artwork on the covers is beautiful.

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 06:09:12 PM »
I loved the unicorn chronicles. Never read the Balinor series though.

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 06:55:46 PM »
On the subject of Bruce Coville; have you read his unicorn story compilation, A Glory of Unicorns?
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 07:08:07 PM »

Oh, yes, I remember reading this series, too, around the same age, and I liked it a lot! I can't remember it perfectly but I do recommend it, given my impressions of it. There are enemies in it called Shifters, I think, and my sister and I pretended there were "Shifters" endangering our My Little Ponies when we played. They would steal baby ponies away, I think, or attack the village. Good memories.  ^.^

I also still have mine. Very pretty cover art!

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »
I read the first three and I loved them!  My best friend and I had an obsession with them when we were little, and we constantly played games revolving around the characters.  I always liked the unicorn Toby.  My best friend was the one who owned the book (it was an omnibus of the first three), and I borrowed it a lot.  I borrowed it shortly before I moved, and it wound up getting packed away in a box! When we moved, a lot of the boxes were put in the wrong rooms by accident, so that box of books wound up buried in a closet and didn't see the light of day for literally years. 

I found the box a few years ago, and that book was in it!  I re-read it before I gave it back to my friend because I wanted to have a little nostalgia trip and it held up quite well!  My friend had completely forgotten about it so she was kind of surprised when I showed up with it one day before we went to the beach.  When I read it again, I enjoyed it as much as I did the first time I read it.  I keep meaning to get my own copy (I dunno if my friend still has hers, she got rid of a lot of books before we went off to college and that may have been one of the casualties), and I had no idea there were more than three!  I'll definitely get them so I can read them!!!  I have always loved unicorns, and the first 3 Unicorns of Balinor books and the Last Unicorn are definitely my favorites.  I'm very excited to learn there were more of them!

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal