collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Has Anyone Read The Neverending Story?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
Has Anyone Read The Neverending Story?
« on: August 03, 2015, 07:06:06 PM »
I was thinking about getting this book on amazon or maybe check to see if the used bookstore down the street has it.  I grew up on the movie, just like pretty much everyone else who read the book.  I liked the first one and can stand the second one mostly.  I didn't like the third one.

Anyway, I see lots of mixed reviews on amazon.  80% of the people who bought the book liked it, but the other people who bought it said they liked the movie better, some say it's too repetitive in the second half of the book, which I guess is basically The Neverending Story 2 movie, not sure.

I know it was originally in German and the English version is a translated version of the German version (obviously) but some people said in reviews the translation was off which causes the writing to be off and some say that the author doesn't provide any detailed descriptions and seems to randomly pull events out of a hat.

When I first heard it was an actual book, after having known the movie for some time I thought it might look like the one Bastian has (with the oren on the cover, not sure if that's spelled right).  LOL guess not.

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
Re: Has Anyone Read The Neverending Story?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:22:41 PM »
I *LOVE* this book.  I re-read it every few years.  Some of my favorite parts are actually in the second half of the book, the part that takes place after what coincides with the movie.  And even in the first half, there's SO much that the movie just doesn't give you. 

I think it's beautifully written, even if it is a translation. 

Definitely, definitely recommend reading at least once!

Offline moevelvet

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »
I've read it, but it was a few years ago.  It was a lovely, magical book.  I can't say how it compares to the movie as I've never seen it.
Current profile pic from: http://kero444.deviantart.com/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Ember by Nence

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 08:50:58 PM »
I have!  It's a great book.  I couldn't put it down.  (Just like the kid in the movie, ha ha.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »
It's been a while since I read it but I know I loved that each chapter started with a different letter of the alphabet.  Chapter 1 started with A
Chapter 2 started with B
Chapter 3 started with C
and so on.  It was fun. 

If you're not sure you want to buy it, see if you can borrow it from your library first.  If they don't have it they might be able to do something called Interlibrary Loan, which is where your library borrows it from another library for you.  Your library might charge a small fee for the service, but it depends on your library's policy.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:07:05 PM »
I am one of the few who didn't like the book. I remembering it as confusing and weird. I never even finnished it either, I stopped somewhere in the second half of the book and don't miss it. The first movie was a favorite when I grew up and I still watch it on occassion so not being able to finnish the book was sad, but on the other hand, they were not that alike.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 12:47:37 AM »
I read the book when I was 9, and I loved it! I should read it again one day. I loved that Bastian's story and the storyline of Fantasia are printed in green and red respectively. And my book had a printed version of Auryn on the cover, although I was deeply disappointed that it didn't come with the real amulet.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 08:22:39 AM »
I read it. It was interesting. Kinda strange and, as usual, different from the movie, but it was good.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 09:51:10 AM »
I havent read it, but typically books are better then movies :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 12:02:03 PM »
Its been a while, but I have read it, the first part basically covers the first move, and the second part is the second movie. I think the first movie is better than the book, but the book is leaps and bounds ahead of the second movie imo.
I haven't read it in years now though but I do need to pick it up sometime for my collection.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »
I read it (or, most of it) several years ago.  I read enough to cover the first movie and I liked it, and then the second half/second movie stuff was either too confusing or too boring to finish, can't remember. 

Actually, I have the book in hardback.  If you'd like it for just the cost of postage PM me.  :) 

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 12:54:41 PM »
I've read the German and the English version. The English translation is not perfect, but it's not horrible, either. I think it's one of those cases in which you only realise something's off if you know the original. If you can get your hands on the book, I'd definitely recommend giving it a go. It's a good read. Michael Ende is one of my favourite German authors, and this is one of the few books of his in English that are easy to come by.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 12:57:37 PM »
I wanted to but surprisingly- it isn't available on Kindle!  I will have to finally figure out how to get a book out from the library :D

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »
I loved it and should read it again.

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 02:58:20 AM »
I think the movie was better (the first movie, that is).  The second movie (which is terrible) loosely coincides with the second half of the book, though the book is much darker and yes, kind of confusing.  The second movie is very kid-friendly - and not in a good way.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal