collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro is hiring for MLP!  (Read 10066 times)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro is hiring for MLP!
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2015, 11:00:12 AM »
It's not a loss. Don't even listen to that person. Good for you for having courage to go for it. I'm the type of person who always underestimates myself and thinks I'm not good enough for a lot so it's nice to see so many people going for gold. :)

Me too honestly. I'm always so hesitent to try to push for my success, my anxiety really holds me back sometimes when I'd rather just take the chance + I'm super duper proud of you for giving it a shot!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2015, 11:15:47 AM »
I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet.  Still contemplating.  I have the link bookmarked, but I need to think.  I want to get off on the right foot with these people.  Really, I should aim low at first with perhaps a chance to aim a little higher.

I also want to make sure my work is not simply derivative but adds something new.  I love that Wind Whistler is intelligent and reserved and Fizzy is optimistic and energetic and want that to be a part of them or (whatever the main characters would end up being called), but I also want to add to them and the other characters.  Giving them backstories and reasons for their personalities is a place to start (part of the reason I would like to see something done with the old ponies because the series was so brief and spread over so many characters).  Also better define these personalities and relationships.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:14:59 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »
I don't think Midnight_Dream meant to be rude. Yes, her post was rather blunt but that doesn't mean everyone needs to call her out on it or whatever. :/

Anyway, going a bit more on topic, I like the idea of a thread where we can daydream what "our" version of G5 would be, someone should make one! It sounds fun!! (I'd make it myself, but I don't really have any ideas - I'm boring, I just like waiting and seeing what we get officially XD And I'd feel bad making a thread and having nothing to contribute myself)

Thank you. I was not being, just blunt and sometimes people think that is rude.

Ai...Al it is just a user name in the end. Either way wanting 10 years of experience for such a company is by no means too much, in fact I think it is too little. For such a major company would you hire someone with no experience? No, you wouldn't and you would find that it is an extreme waste of time and effort to weed through those who have none. Yay you had the courage to apply, but I'm just being honest in saying you and likely dozens of others who applied without experience wasted their time.

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2015, 03:05:11 PM »
This posting has certainly captured everybody's imagination!

I think a lot of people are seeing in it what they want to see, however. They want you to live and breathe the brand for sure, but this position does not sound like one that generates creative ideas. It appears instead to be a position focused on working with the creative team, picking the ideas that stick, and making a case for them to the powers-that-be in the interest of keeping the brand in a relevant direction.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »
Ai...Al it is just a user name in the end.
It's actually derived from my middle name.
Either way wanting 10 years of experience for such a company is by no means too much, in fact I think it is too little.
Do you know how long ten years is in the toy business?  This literally denies anyone who started with the current generation or even the Bayformers.  All this fresh blood that has been there through what has been an epoch for Hasbro are denied this position because some hiring manager thinks double digits are cool.  Length of experience is the most arbitrary filter for talent, especially in a position where ideas and intuition are more important than the tried and true methods.
For such a major company would you hire someone with no experience? No, you wouldn't and you would find that it is an extreme waste of time and effort to weed through those who have none.
If they have a better idea.  I'd probably have them taken under the wing of someone with more experience, but I'm not going let a good idea pass me by because it came from the mouth of someone just because they haven't been doing something since the Bush administration.

Actually, there you go.  They are calling for more experience than someone can possibly have as President of the United States.
Yay you had the courage to apply, but I'm just being honest in saying you and likely dozens of others who applied without experience wasted their time.
Btw, because I'm on LinkedIn, it took me about ten minutes on an evening where I had nothing better to do.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:11:56 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline klein

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Dolls & Ponies oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Pullipsandjunk
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2015, 05:27:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure the position has already been filled or at least that's what it said when I clicked on the link.

Thanks to this post I actually looked around on Hasbro's website and I ended up applying for a job, not this one as I'm not qualified enough for it but a local merchandising job :lookround:

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2015, 05:33:55 PM »
I don't think Midnight_Dream meant to be rude. Yes, her post was rather blunt but that doesn't mean everyone needs to call her out on it or whatever. :/

Anyway, going a bit more on topic, I like the idea of a thread where we can daydream what "our" version of G5 would be, someone should make one! It sounds fun!! (I'd make it myself, but I don't really have any ideas - I'm boring, I just like waiting and seeing what we get officially XD And I'd feel bad making a thread and having nothing to contribute myself)

Thank you. I was not being, just blunt and sometimes people think that is rude.

Ai...Al it is just a user name in the end. Either way wanting 10 years of experience for such a company is by no means too much, in fact I think it is too little. For such a major company would you hire someone with no experience? No, you wouldn't and you would find that it is an extreme waste of time and effort to weed through those who have none. Yay you had the courage to apply, but I'm just being honest in saying you and likely dozens of others who applied without experience wasted their time.

I mean you offended him so yes obviously it was rude. And you continue to be rude by disregarding his username which he has pointed out how many times now matters to him, and keep telling him he wasted his time even when he said he didn't feel he did.

I'm surprised it was filled so quickly. Well I guess it wasn't necessarily posted here as soon as it appeared on their site?

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2015, 05:44:42 PM »
I'm certainly not surprised that they had a loooot of takers, they're a pretty well known corporation.
But I would think they'd pick their new staff carefully? It seems a tiny bit rushed to me.

Also, Midnight Dream, I'm so so sorry if this sounds harsh but I'm very worried that this thread will get locked so? You may have to just drop the subject. I'm sorry.  :whoa:

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2015, 05:51:41 PM »
Was it new to the site when someone posted the thread? I kind of wonder if they promoted from within. It'd be really interesting to know all the details, sadly we won't. (And sorry, I get a little fiery sometimes defending people's feelings. I'm dropping it because I know they don't care how what they say comes off to anyone).

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Midnight_Dream

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2015, 07:26:33 PM »
Ai...Al it is just a user name in the end.
It's actually derived from my middle name.
Either way wanting 10 years of experience for such a company is by no means too much, in fact I think it is too little.
Do you know how long ten years is in the toy business?  This literally denies anyone who started with the current generation or even the Bayformers.  All this fresh blood that has been there through what has been an epoch for Hasbro are denied this position because some hiring manager thinks double digits are cool.  Length of experience is the most arbitrary filter for talent, especially in a position where ideas and intuition are more important than the tried and true methods.
For such a major company would you hire someone with no experience? No, you wouldn't and you would find that it is an extreme waste of time and effort to weed through those who have none.
If they have a better idea.  I'd probably have them taken under the wing of someone with more experience, but I'm not going let a good idea pass me by because it came from the mouth of someone just because they haven't been doing something since the Bush administration.

Actually, there you go.  They are calling for more experience than someone can possibly have as President of the United States.
Yay you had the courage to apply, but I'm just being honest in saying you and likely dozens of others who applied without experience wasted their time.
Btw, because I'm on LinkedIn, it took me about ten minutes on an evening where I had nothing better to do.

Do you know nothing about how major companies work? Because I am getting a clear sign that you don't or else you would realize that just because you have a good idea that does not make you qualified for a job. So ten years blocks out collectors, the job is not, and I repeat, is not for collectors it is for someone who is qualified for the job and if someone with ten years of experience happens to be a collector that's great, but that is not part of the job. Ten years in the standards of toys is not a long time at all, sorry if you think that it is, but it really isn't and you are just trying to grasp at straws for reasons of why they should hire a collector like you over someone with the qualifications for a job.

Really, it is great that you have ideas for the line, but that does not somehow magically make you qualified for a job that is look for experience. No matter what you say experience is key for a job in a major company like Hasbro and I am sorry you fail to comprehend that, really I am.

Ponycake, let us just stop beating around the bush and face facts that you don't like me and I don't particularly care for you. AI is perfectly capable of defending himself and is in no need of a white knight.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2015, 07:57:52 PM »
Ok well. I guess I will say my part and then leave because I don't want to get too heated and hurt some feelings (I always worry I will).

I would like to start a thread where anybody who already has or would like to create(d) their own generation, so to speak. We can discuss our characters or versions of existing ones, worldbuilding, that sort of thing.
Would anybody like to join me? :0

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2015, 08:16:49 PM »
Ok well. I guess I will say my part and then leave because I don't want to get too heated and hurt some feelings (I always worry I will).

I would like to start a thread where anybody who already has or would like to create(d) their own generation, so to speak. We can discuss our characters or versions of existing ones, worldbuilding, that sort of thing.
Would anybody like to join me? :0
Meeeeeeee!!!!!! :P Although my ideas would probably suck!  :lol:
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2015, 08:18:14 PM »
All ideas are welcome!

Alzatia

« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2015, 08:53:50 PM »
As a collector who's been working in the toy selling industry for seven years, I can confirm having the qualifications for a job in the industry doesn't mean you'll do a good job. Most of the people where I work that have been given high positions are horrendous at them and are simply a waste in those spots they fill, because they lack passion for what they sell or who they sell to. Having someone who knows marketing, advertising, contract negotiating ect, but not having initiative and passion is kind of pointless and it will show in your results. While it doesn't have to be a collector or toy aficionado, those last two are key and part of what made Lauren Faust work well for the G4 launch, and she was even more fitting because she is a collector and toy aficionado.

While I can agree with Midnight_Dream about the amount of experience the position seems to require, at least Al here has that initiative and passion. If it ends up being a waste of time on his part, fine. That's his problem, but at least the guy had the initiative to try.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2015, 02:27:55 AM »
I'm all on board with a thread about discussing fan generation ideas.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal