collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Beta fish advice!  (Read 1043 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Beta fish advice!
« on: July 30, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »
To keep this short when my ex left she didn't want any of her critters which included a beta fish I bought her like last summer. She took her nice things and just left me a gallon bowl that I had to insist on to put her fish in.  Now I know that isn't the best set up for a fish and they need more room. I've been changing his bowl twice a week since it gets so nasty.

Anyway, I had hoped to find him a home because I really dislike fish (not like I want them to die or something just not a fan). It looks like he will be staying with me though, so I wanted advice on a tank and filter system.  I thought I would ask here since I get so many different answers with Google. I'm also not looking for the absolute best. Honestly I want the cheapest tank (that isn't going to just break or something) that will give him the room he needs and a filter system that will be adequate. He is the only fish I have and honestly once he passes I'll never have another. I just do want him to be happy and not in a tiny uncomfortable bowl since he does like to swim, and I can tell he wants more room.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Beta fish advice!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 04:24:33 AM »
^3^ Im glad I saw this!!!!!! Ive kept sooooooo many bettas for years and I can definetly  help!!! My oldest betta recently passed away, he was almost 5 years old!!!

Anyways,I would love to see pictures of your new fishie!!! :3 I recondmend getting a 2.5 gallon tank (with a lid!) or bigger for mr betta and getting a tetra whisper filter! The whisper filter is very gentle on small fish fins and isnt noisy. For water you can use dechorinated tap water or room temperature spring water. I also recondmend one of those fish tank heaters in case it gets cold where you live! Also pick up a cheap tank thermometer!!! Those tropical beauties need to be between 74-82 F at all times! For food I recondmend New Life Spectrum and bloodworms as occassional treats. How frequent the water changes will depend on the size of his tank. Bettas do not like deep tanks, but more long horizonal tanks. Keep in mind they have a labyrinth organ so they need to breathe air!!! Leave at least an inch of air from the top of the tank lid, humidity will help their lungs as well!

Bettas are so wonderful!!! I just love how each one is like a person  trapped in fish bodies with the variety of personalities!!! Congrats on your betta!!! :-3
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:17:36 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 08:40:39 AM »
I've had 3 bettas. One lived for 4 years, the others for under a year. Princess Lala has great advice. I'd say avoid tap water with these fish at all costs. They're quite lovely and can be amusing where they find to hide/sleep.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 10:27:33 AM »
I've had several bettas and many had disastrous endings but then one flourished....

The one that flourished was kept in a 2.5 gallon tank with a small heater I bought for only about $14 on Amazon. I think I kept the temperature around 75 degrees. The betta was a male white double tail that slowly changed to a very pretty PINK color in his tank. And he had a lot of personality. He would literally examine his decorations, cock his head and everything. He had an inquisitive expression. And he'd follow me around his tank. He had a lot of personality and was quite happy.

He died when I was cleaning out his tank and accidently dropped him down the garbage disposal in the sink. :(   So I gave up bettas after that trauma. But I want to try again!

I would suggest the 2.5 gallon tank and a small heater.  I just found this one on Amazon which got great reviews and it's cheap!
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-7-5w-Heater-Bettas-Bowls/dp/B006JVQ67K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438363506&sr=8-1&keywords=small+tank+heater

I'd suggest the 2.5 gallon and the heater, and getting him a few cute decorations and places to hide in. You don't really need a filter. I just changed the water every three days and rinsed off the gravel at the bottom. It's a lot of work but it seemed to work out for me. And I liked seeing the little dude happy. I'd suggest changing around decorations each time you change the water to keep things interesting. They're smart and need mental stimulation. Good luck!
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Dainty

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 11:30:10 AM »
I actually saw a very nice post on proper betta care on tumblr the other day- I will go see if I can hunt it down :)

Edit: Here's a link to the post! http://simeoneswims.tumblr.com/post/120353291443/hannahdrawsart-a-simple-getting-started-zine
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:37:09 AM by Dainty »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 11:51:11 AM »
Im not sure about betas, but if you need to use tap water get some chlorine killer (found in pet stores or pond shops) and it should be ok.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 01:13:34 PM »
Im not sure about betas, but if you need to use tap water get some chlorine killer (found in pet stores or pond shops) and it should be ok.

They have tablets for that I think.....don't they dissolve like Alka Seltzer? It's been a while since I've done the fish thing. I remember using tablets like that every time I refilled my betta's tank.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 02:51:27 PM »
There are 2.5 gallon kits at Walmart. Have the tank, the filter, etc. That's what mine stay in. Granted, I mostly just use the tank and change everything else out to make them more suitable to me, but you can certainly just use what they come with.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 02:59:09 PM »
I've been using something that helps with clear water and the tetra easy balance for water. He needs more than that? I'll check out tanks at Walmart. He seems like a resistant fish because I have no idea what I'm doing and he still keeps living. :lol:

He actually seems sort of aggressive and always watches me and flares out his find I guess when I get near his bowl. I should have named him after my ex!  :P  I just call him Bob because I bought him a SpongeBob pineapple and he likes to stay inside it or lay in the window.

Formerly Maddie

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 03:07:35 PM »
Im not a big fish person either, my son has had the same goldfish for 8 years, The only thing I can suggest is putting some live plants in there if you want the water to stay a bit cleaner, Iv got one of those moss balls in there and a couple leafy things and a normal filter, and aside from normal water changing, its never actually gotten dirty.

The plants seem to be relatively cheap if you buy the smaller ones (they will get bigger) and pretty easy to maintain. I mean like I said, I'm not a fish person, I don't have much to do with this fish lol, and nothing's died, Iv had all the plants for many years as well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:09:20 PM by True »
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
I've been using something that helps with clear water and the tetra easy balance for water. He needs more than that? I'll check out tanks at Walmart. He seems like a resistant fish because I have no idea what I'm doing and he still keeps living. :lol:

She's talking about a dechlorinator. I *think* Easy Balance MAY have that included in it, but I don't use it so I don't remember for sure. But yes, you will need a dechlorinator. You can find them right with all the fish stuff. They come in several forms. I use the liquid drops sort, that's usually the easiest to get. The one I currently use takes 5 drops per gallon. You just drip them in after a water change before adding the fish. Chlorine from tap water can actually burn your fish. The dechlorinator gets rid of it.

Edit: Just checked and Easy Balance does not have a dechlorinator so you will need to get one.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:17:14 PM by kaoskat »

kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 03:51:48 PM »

She's talking about a dechlorinator. I *think* Easy Balance MAY have that included in it, but I don't use it so I don't remember for sure. But yes, you will need a dechlorinator. You can find them right with all the fish stuff. They come in several forms. I use the liquid drops sort, that's usually the easiest to get. The one I currently use takes 5 drops per gallon. You just drip them in after a water change before adding the fish. Chlorine from tap water can actually burn your fish. The dechlorinator gets rid of it.

Edit: Just checked and Easy Balance does not have a dechlorinator so you will need to get one.

Does the clear water stuff do the chlorination thing? It turns his water purple for w little while. I'll go see what Walmary has since that seems to be where I'll be shopping for him. :lol:

Formerly Maddie

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 04:53:39 PM »
I'd need the name and brand of the product to check, but it's unlikely.

Offline WhispersOfTheWind

• Trade Count: (+183)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 07:00:33 PM »
You don't want to use too many different chemicals.  I used Prime that you can get online or at the pet store:
http://www.petsmart.com/fish/water-conditioners/prime-aquarium-water-conditioner-zid36-17551/cat-36-catid-300029
:lovey:

Offline nemubones

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • With every mistake We must surely be learning -GH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 09:56:10 PM »
You don't want to use too many different chemicals.  I used Prime that you can get online or at the pet store:
http://www.petsmart.com/fish/water-conditioners/prime-aquarium-water-conditioner-zid36-17551/cat-36-catid-300029
This is the kind of water conditioner  I used for my fish, doubles by helping with decreasing  ammonia accumulation and providing slime coat. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal