collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question for Ebay Sellers  (Read 2927 times)

Offline pandorarose3

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Question for Ebay Sellers
« on: July 26, 2015, 05:58:45 PM »
Is Ebay charging a percentage for shipping?  I have a seller, for something non-pony related, saying Ebay charged them a percentage for shipping to justify charging $8.00 for something that actually only was about $5.00 to ship.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:09:20 PM by pandorarose3 »
Find the Original My Little Pony Talk Show only on blogtalkradio.com http://www.blogtalkradio.com/My-Little-Pony-Talk  We are live every Monday night at 8pm Eastern time.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Ebay Sellers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »
I think it's a 10% fee on shipping. I charged $3.00 for shipping... ebay took 30 cents. 9__9; It's so stupid.. I don't make money on shipping-- but I have to charge a little bit more, otherwise I'll lose money on shipping.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline pandorarose3

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 06:14:51 PM »
So its only 10%, so then technically they should have only charged .50, which means they are probably attempting me to pay for their sellers fee's on the item.  They were claiming that if they would have shipped in a box it would have been $16, which um yea in no way shape or form would it have come out to that.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:18:21 PM by pandorarose3 »
Find the Original My Little Pony Talk Show only on blogtalkradio.com http://www.blogtalkradio.com/My-Little-Pony-Talk  We are live every Monday night at 8pm Eastern time.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 06:20:53 PM »
So its only 10%, so then technically they should have only charged .50 above and beyond ok thanks.

Also, consider the packing material cost (Although some people recycle)... and cost of ink/paper/etc.

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »
I paid $22 recently for shipping from "Greece" which got here in two days from NJ, so shipping probably should have been $8. Still checking that out before I get angry and go to the seller.

I don't remember them taking money out of that when I sold some things, but I don't know enough.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 06:29:56 PM »
I don't remember them taking money out of that when I sold some things, but I don't know enough.

Check Account, and view fees. It'll state what it takes out. Theres been fees on shipping for a few years now. :/ I really never knew what the percentage was, I just rounded up my shipping costs.

Offline pandorarose3

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 06:50:17 PM »
Yea but even with packing materials.  The shipping itself was only about $3.75, materials $1.75.  So maybe $6.00 for shipping rounding again up. 

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 07:06:50 PM »
In addition to eBay fees and packaging, there is also PayPal fees.  PayPal charges a fee for the total amount of money transferred including the shipping.

Was the shipping listed as $8 on the item listing?  If not, then that's one thing.  But if so, they were upfront about it and you didn't have to purchase from that seller.

Offline pandorarose3

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 07:21:35 PM »
Yea BUT there is one thing about being up front and truthful, and upfront and trying to get your buyers to pay your fee's.  I was also expecting the package to come in a box, it came in a bubble envelope and the part that should have been wrapped up to make sure it didn't break wasn't wrapped up.  I was just curious cause its a big difference between what the shipping was and what they charged.

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »
Unfortunately the situation you're dealing with is exactly why eBay started charging a commission on shipping fees.  A lot of people who mark their items "BIN" for $.99 and charge $30 for shipping to get away from having to pay the $3 in commission fees to eBay.  So instead, eBay started charging 10% commission on ending sale price AND shipping prices (not to mention the listing fees). 

I do tend to charge more on eBay for shipping prices because of the commission charges.  I used to charge the exact rate, but once I realized that I was actually losing money by doing that, I had to up my shipping prices by about 10-15%.  I really try to keep shipping reasonable for my buyers, but I kinda lost that fight to eBay stupid rules.  >.<

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline pandorarose3

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 07:56:55 PM »
Well I could understand if it was a couple of dollars more.  But for them to have told me it would have been $16 to ship in a box, heck flat rate boxes were made for a reason.  I just wanted to make sure their line of 'ebay's charging me for shipping' was true.  I just now know never to buy from this seller again, cause the biggest most breakable item wasn't packaged properly.

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 09:45:36 PM »
How much over did they charge you for shipping, and was the shipping rate labeled on the box? 

I personally may ask for a partial shipping refund if the price was exuberant.  Otherwise, just leave neutral feedback.  (*Don't* mention feedback in an eBay message though, it's considered extortion.)

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 10:06:14 PM »
They charge me about 7% I wanna say for my sales, not sure if that includes shipping fees! My listing fees are always free though! :3

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 12:00:56 AM »
Unfortunately the situation you're dealing with is exactly why eBay started charging a commission on shipping fees.  A lot of people who mark their items "BIN" for $.99 and charge $30 for shipping to get away from having to pay the $3 in commission fees to eBay.  So instead, eBay started charging 10% commission on ending sale price AND shipping prices (not to mention the listing fees). 

I do tend to charge more on eBay for shipping prices because of the commission charges.  I used to charge the exact rate, but once I realized that I was actually losing money by doing that, I had to up my shipping prices by about 10-15%.  I really try to keep shipping reasonable for my buyers, but I kinda lost that fight to eBay stupid rules.  >.<

I'd say it depends on how much the item value was.  I think ebay charge 10% on the item plus %10 of the shipping.  If it was like say over $20, then adding a couple of extra dollars would just be covering their own fees with the packaging materials.  I think it's reasonable for the seller's costs to be partially added to the price.  (Personally I like to split the cost of fees rather than dump them entirely on the buyer.)  If it was an item under $10, then they should have only added say $1.

This is one of the reasons I'm so over ebay... the whole fees issue creates a bunch of problems.  You're actually losing money in many cases if you're selling, but with shipping it's very expensive as a buyer....  stupid ebay  :pullhair: 

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 12:19:21 AM »
If the shipping price was clearly stated on the auction page, you really don't have a reason to complain. Sure, you can ask for a partial, but the seller isn't obligated to give you one and they don't deserve bad feedback. Did the item arrive in as described condition?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal