collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Umm, what?! Weird eBay shipping addy request??!!  (Read 1017 times)

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
Umm, what?! Weird eBay shipping addy request??!!
« on: July 24, 2015, 04:11:58 AM »
This threw all kinds of red flags for me:

I sold a custom on eBay this week for a rather hefty sum. The name and address sent to me via Paypal was a male in NY. I received a message from my buyer after I got payment saying "I sent you the wrong address" and to address it to a female in FL.
:what:

If I do change the name and address per the request is my buyer still covered under Paypal's policies? Thoughts?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
Re: Umm, what?! Weird eBay shipping addy request??!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 04:30:36 AM »
depends on their reaoning i guess.
it could be a gift  for  person B.

or  person B had arranged  to use   person A's account  by proxy.

I have in the past  asked  a friend in the US if  they would accept a package for me and then on ship it as the  eBay seller would not  post internationally them selves, but were OK with sending it to a US address  on my behalf / instruction  even tho i'm in Australia.

perhaps ask  the person  for what their reason is for the different  name / address  to send it to is ?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 04:55:12 AM »
You certainly wouldn't have any seller protection if they claimed they didn't receive the item. Paypal is only going to care about the original address. I really wouldn't recommend it unless it was someone you knew.

The safest thing to do is cancel the sale, and have them rebuy it and send the proper address with the payment.

As for different person, in a different state... I've bought gifts for friends and family sent to their addresses. However, I sent that address with the payment.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 05:11:37 AM »
Thanks, ya'll. I've contacted the buyer saying that I can't ship to any other address than what I'm given by Paypal. Hopefully my buyer will just change the addy with Paypal, resend the payment and case closed, nice and painless.

We'll see what they do! :P

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 05:23:26 AM »
EDIT - lol Cherry you posted at the same time as me :P glad its sorted. I'll just leave my essay here anyways :silly:

original reply:
They might be someone genuine , buying a gift for someone else or a friend/family member asked them to buy the item for them sinc ethey didn't have their own ebay account and then have it sent to them direct to save paying 2 lots of shippinjg... or it could be some kind of dodgy scam.. :awake:
but
either way if you send to a different address you will lose your protection so it isn't worth the risk. The only way you would still be protected is if that person had the other name/address listed on their ebay account too. ( I think you'd have to call and ask ebay about that as the person might not tell the truth if they were a scammer).  As it is, please don't risk sending a high value item to a different address to the one that's showing up.
You'll need to contact the buyer and explain that you cant send to a different address then the one that's registered with ebay or you will lose your seller protection. You can then do what banditpony suggested here:
The safest thing to do is cancel the sale, and have them rebuy it and send the proper address with the payment

I had a buyer that requested I send to a different address and I called ebay about it as it was an expensive rare item and I was worried by the messages I got from the buyer too although they had paid right away. Ebay checked up on the buyer and they weren't dodgy but they also said not to send it to that address (which I already knew not to) . They contacted the buyer themselves to let them know that if they (the  buyer)  wanted me to sendthe item  to that other address then they would need to register it to their account, otherwise I (the seller) could only send to the original address. Hope that makes sense hun? its one of those days :blush:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:50:59 PM »
I'd be extra careful with this one. Last time I heard, Brooke Kutik was in Florida and running her Paypal chargeback scam with great success.

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »
I have this request more often than I'd like even though I specifically put in my listings that I will only ship to the address used at checkout. I know many people are probably not scamming and just want to send it to someone as a gift or forgot to update their new address but I will never ship to an address requested after checkout has been completed because shipping to the Paypal confirmed address is one of the few protections a seller has. I always send a polite message letting them know I can't do it because it negates eBay/Paypal protections and that I can either ship to the address at checkout or refund and have them checkout again inputting the correct info. I always apologize since I know it must seem like an unnecessary hassle to the buyer but most people are understanding once I explain why I can't do it.

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 06:01:40 PM »
I'd be extra careful with this one. Last time I heard, Brooke Kutik was in Florida and running her Paypal chargeback scam with great success.

GOP just beat me to it.  This was my first though exactly!  Don't risk it.  Good luck!
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal