collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Restoring Rusty BBE?  (Read 1049 times)

megsaroni88

• Trade Count: (0)
Restoring Rusty BBE?
« on: July 19, 2015, 05:06:01 PM »
I've never done any customization before, all I like to do is wash the ponies I find and restore their hair to the best of my ability. Still, in the first eBay auction I ever bought, a lot of the ponies were damaged (deceptive pics, I've learned my lesson) and among them was this baby Frosting:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The large pen mark I'm ignoring for now, and there are lots of tutorials for re-hairing, but the rusty eyes are the real problem. I've heard mention on lots of sites about how to clean the rust but I can't find one that has pictures or goes in depth about it. I'm wary about getting the head off, too.  :yikes: The closest I got was a tutorial about just getting rid of the eyes all together. I'm willing to try cleaning it though and considering the pony's condition I figured it wouldn't hurt to try because its practically undisplayable as is.

TL/DR: Anyone know how to fix rusty BBEs, or know a place where a tutorial is?

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Restoring Rusty BBE?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 05:20:23 PM »
Rust remover and q-tips seems to be the popular option. It's also possible to pop the eyes out and take them apart for a more throughout clean, but it's a bit more tricky and risky. That pen mark is most likely going to need some sun fading.

megsaroni88

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 05:39:54 PM »
Rust remover and q-tips seems to be the popular option. It's also possible to pop the eyes out and take them apart for a more throughout clean, but it's a bit more tricky and risky. That pen mark is most likely going to need some sun fading.

Popping the eyes out sounds frightening  :stunned: Do you think it would be more prudent to remove the head for a more thorough cleaning or does that not matter?

Offline Doedeardarling

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 06:15:45 PM »
If it's only eye rust, then it doesn't matter, the eye sockets don't have any openings inside the head. But she seems to be missing her tail, so you might want to behead her anyway to replace that. It's easiest to remove the head if you put her under hot (running) water for a moment.

megsaroni88

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 12:26:09 PM »
If it's only eye rust, then it doesn't matter, the eye sockets don't have any openings inside the head. But she seems to be missing her tail, so you might want to behead her anyway to replace that. It's easiest to remove the head if you put her under hot (running) water for a moment.

Yeah, I think the rusted washer is still in there, something is rattling. I haven't looked up the hair match color yet, lets hope that head comes off easily, eh?  :shakefist:

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 12:52:58 PM »
[edit ~ hathorcat] there is something oddly horrifying yet at the same time charming in these rusty beddy byes. Zorro's signo bothers me a lot more than the rust, actually.

Anyhow, as DDD mentioned it, try q-tips soaked in rust removal.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:25:17 AM by hathorcat »

megsaroni88

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »

It only took me like an hour to get the head off  :whew: but Frosting is looking less like a cloudy-eyed monster, though my sister said its still a tattooed and tail-less freak. I had to get a toothbrush to help the rust removal along and one eye doesn't go up and down still, but I think the poor thing looks miles better. I might have to give it one more scrub in the inside corners but my hands hurt so I'm letting it dry some first. Go figure, twenty year old rust doesn't want to come off easily.  :rolleyes:

Offline Lore-Lei

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 10:11:59 PM »
Great job!

Offline Doedeardarling

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 12:51:17 AM »
She's looking a lot better :)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »
What about painting over the rust? So she has painted BBEs instead of glassy ones?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 04:19:55 AM »
She looks waaay better now :bigups:  well done ! :)

BBE's look scary when you see pics of them with the eyes actually popped out for cleaning so I'm sooo glad you didn't have to resort to that :silly:

I don't think I've seen it mentioned (but if it has been sorry everyone!) - toothpaste - ordinary cheap variety - is awesome at removing even tough old rust ;)  using the toothbrush or a bottle brush  should get great results

Matching tail hair isn't hard with her colour and sunfading will take care of the body mark :)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Lore-Lei

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 05:37:17 AM »
toothpaste - ordinary cheap variety - is awesome at removing even tough old rust ;)
Yep, no more brushing.

megsaroni88

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 12:48:19 PM »
I've had several days of sunbathing, but that ink mark is stubborn. :devious:

Thank you so much for all your tips! Its given me some confidence in trying.  :hearts:

Offline nemubones

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • With every mistake We must surely be learning -GH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 10:59:04 AM »
Awesome to see Baby Frosting is getting a new lease on life after what he's been through. (always thought he looked more like a boy  :P) I can't wait to try to fix up the BBE Cuddles and Tiddley Winks I have stash in my fixer upers pile after reading this.

Offline Lore-Lei

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 12:14:48 PM »
You're ever so welcome.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal