collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone from DC/close parts of Virginia?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone from DC/close parts of Virginia?
« on: July 05, 2015, 05:54:33 PM »
Hey everyone!

Long story incredibly short, my family may be moving from the comfort of the Midwest to the DC area very soon and I know NOTHING about the east coast.

We already know that we do not want to live in DC, and are able/willing to commute an hour or less to get there, and have been primarily looking around Virginia.  We are *hoping* (fingers crossed BIG time) to be able to find a small farm so we can keep all of our horses and chickens (and cats and dogs... but they're indoors) in the family and not have to debate whether or not I stay behind with the family or we have to make the terrible decision of rehoming.  We want to do everything in our power to keep the entire family together.

Pretty much, I'm needing help knowing what major cities are in the hour-or-less range of DC so I have an idea of where to start researching housing, horse boarding, building codes, livestock restrictions and the like.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated <3

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone from DC/close parts of Virginia?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »
I'm sure others can help you more. But I have two friends who live in Front Royal, VA (farmy, spaceous) and one commutes to DC, Mapquest tells me it's an hour and twenty minutes.

There's a beautiful little river under a tiny bridge we played in there and tubed in. I like the area a lot.

Edit: Oh, well one lives there anyway. I looked up my other friend who works in DC and he's in Alexandria which Mapquest says is 17-20 minutes. I've never been there.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:17:02 PM by ponycake »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:47:09 AM »
I've lived in Alexandria and Sterling, VA. Both are awesome areas! My sister still lives in Sterling, so I go visit her every few months. She's roughly 2.5 hours from me and I'm in PA.

Early welcome to this area!

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 04:16:54 PM »
There's Upper Marlboro in Maryland if you're looking for somewhat rural but still near DC.

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 08:24:12 PM »
I believe Winchester, VA may also work for you. I have a friend from college who lives near there and their family has a horse farm. Frederick, Maryland is also a possibility but might be too far for you. It used to be rural and still mostly is but it is turning into suburbs very quickly.

The DC traffic is some of the worst in the country so be warned! :yikes: The good news is that there are tons of commuter options such as the metro, Amtrak, and loads more so you can avoid having to sit in traffic. Also it's a terrible city to drive in. >_>

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 10:22:10 PM »
Thank you everyone for your insight so far :)  It'd be a move for my husband's job (I'm currently unemployed/writing novels/dreaming of teaching riding lessons from home) and traffic typically doesn't bother him.  As sad as it sounds, I really doubt I'd make it into the busy parts all that often. 

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 01:29:35 PM »
Gosh, I have no advice or help but I wish you luck! I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised and happy with the move at the end of things!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

kawaiicaroline

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »
I live in leesburg, I believe it's about 45 minutes maybe an hour from D.C.. But there are areas around me with farms, like lucketts that you could look into... Sorry I'm not more helpful D:

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 04:38:15 PM »
I live in leesburg, I believe it's about 45 minutes maybe an hour from D.C.. But there are areas around me with farms, like lucketts that you could look into... Sorry I'm not more helpful D:
I drive through there going to Sterling! Luckett is adorable!

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 12:10:03 AM »

I was going to suggest looking into the Leesburg area as well. It's got a lot of rural left in it but still has many stores and nearby towns. It probably is like an hour from DC, though fair warning - during rush hour (which is more like 2 or 3 hours) that hour could double or worse.

Another area you could look into is Manassas (also check out Clifton), which would be slightly closer to DC, but if you're okay being slightly further away from the city you can look a little more west than that, like around Warrenton.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Shadoweon

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 01:49:27 PM »
I live in Northern Virginia, Prince William County to be specific. I'm right near Manassas,VA.

Offline nessy_86

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 10:17:03 AM »
I live in Waldorf, MD. It's about a 30-45 minute drive outside of DC and you get to avoid most of the terribly congested roads (anything that ends in 95, the 66, etc.). There's quite a bit of rural area over here-- I'm not sure if any farms are for sale or anything but I would think it would be worth a look. There are also more rural areas father south of me (St. Mary's county and so forth). You also get to avoid some taxes that you are required to pay in Virginia (vehicle tax comes to mind). I lived in Arlington for a year and that's all I could take. It's too crowded and people are everywhere. I'm from the Midwest originally (rural Minnesota to be exact) so I know the adjustment is a bit crazy! Also homes are less expensive the farther out you get from DC :)

Good luck with your move and feel free to message me if you would like  :biggrin:

flyawayraven

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 10:57:11 AM »
The problem with St. Mary's is it is extremely isolated. The area is absolutely beautiful but it is a major nuisance getting in and out of. It's around a two hour drive to DC and many of the roads are very simple two lane highways.

Offline nessy_86

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 05:04:30 PM »
The problem with St. Mary's is it is extremely isolated. The area is absolutely beautiful but it is a major nuisance getting in and out of. It's around a two hour drive to DC and many of the roads are very simple two lane highways.

It all depends on where in St. Mary's county someone lives. If you are in the Northern part of St. Marys and come through Waldorf it's not a two hour drive. Charles County (the county I live) has plenty of open areas outside of Waldorf. I just suggested St. Marys as the poster was requesting a farmlike area.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 06:40:37 PM »
i've visited the areas quite a bit, but never lived there.
though i do recommend audio books for long commutes. makes any traffic more bearable.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal