collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Official G1 Comic Thread 2  (Read 815 times)

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
Official G1 Comic Thread 2
« on: July 03, 2015, 09:16:22 AM »
Yeah, I know that not many people really own any of these, I just feel like talking about them.
Does anyone have any information from the comics or about their collections?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline Wiseman

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Official G1 Comic Thread 2
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 09:54:39 AM »
I've been able to accumulate a small collection of around 20 or so. All of them I've gotten from e-bay and they dont seem to pop up that often. Since most of them are from the UK I try to only buy many from one seller so I can save on the shipping; many times shipping is more than an individual comic.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »
The G1 comics are great, and sometimes downright weird.  They have a surprising amount of continuity, much more than the cartoon.  Like, you know how in the cartoon you'd see the Mountain Elves in "The Golden Horseshoes" episode, but then they'd never show up again?  In the comic a lot of characters / species were regulars.  I thought that was pretty cool.

They regularly draw the First Tooth Babies with freaky eyes for some reason.

Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 10:00:56 AM »
Hmmm... Wiseman, Which numbers do you have? Currently I have 52 comics (49 issues) in my collection (I've been collecting since 2012). I have currently....
My Little Pony issues:
58, 84-85, 90-109, 154-155, 163, 173, 175, 182, 190, 196, 205-207, 209, 211-212, 215, 221
My Little Pony And Friends issues:
30, 38-46, 51
I have duplicates of 102 and 105, in case you're wondering.
EDIT,
Yeah, I noticed that, Ladymoondancer. I think that they rectify this in later issues. weirdly enough, First Tooth Baby Lickety in issue 84 is drawn with normal eyes, yet Baby Quackers and Baby Bouncy are drawn with the weird glassy eyes in the same issue. I wonder if they got it mixed up...
By the way, is Heck Yeah Pony Scans! Dead yet? I haven't seen a new post on it in four months, and I'd sure like to see the comic with Starlight and Prancer in. I also now have the Smooze comic and the The last issue of the MLP and Friends set ( no. 51 ).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:04:23 AM by anonymoushoneycomb »

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline Wiseman

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 11:16:38 AM »
Upon actually counting I have 32

My Little Pony:
1-7, 9, 10, 12, 17, 44, 46-49, 59, 60, 66, 83, 108 128, 131, 135

and Friends:
2-4, 8

and a variety of summer/winter specials that are 75p so I assume they belong with the and friends collection. The smooze comic (friends #30 right?) is actually my grail; I hope to find one someday.

Offline mimicsno1fan

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 11:51:04 AM »
Ive literally only just discovered them at the start of the year and so far i have 92 individual comics :)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »
I am aiming to collect 1 - 40 and just have a few to go! I'm looking for the following: 1,3,4,5, 17,34,39.

I really wish I had started earlier when I first started collecting ponies. I have read a few of them when they arrive but haven't yet had time to read them all. Some of the stories are a bit random for me and barely sensical, but I love them on the whole.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline wondermintUK

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 01:34:30 PM »
I have 123 MLP comics and 5 '& Friends' comics, including a few of the seasonal issues and some of the free gifts, which are fun.  I am looking for issues 1,2,70,75,79,80,90,95,98,100 to make the run complete between 1 and 100.  I have approx 40 duplicates that I will be listing soon (please feel free to get in touch if you are looking for specific issues!) but I'd love to trade for issues I don't have instead - as others have said, it's the shipping of individual issues that bumps up the price on these. You don't see them come up often and now I've got so many, it is harder to justify buying big lots when you only need one issue in the bunch.

I haven't had time to read them all yet but I loved the early issues as a child (along with the story tape books).  Some of the artwork and stories are weird but some are cute :D  I just love that there was so much variety in G1 and they used 'real' ponies to star in the comics (wishing Hasbro would bring out more characters in the G4 line).

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »
I think I'm about 30 short of the complete set including upgrades of the ones childhood me wrecked from voracious overreading :D I will be eagerly looking out for people with doubles because I really want to complete these, I love them and always have seen them as the overriding "canon" for MLP characters.  I've got scans from the comics all over my website on individual pony pages, because of the different characters they give the ponies!

They come up in the UK because they were printed here - although I think much of Europe had their own versions with the same artwork, often, since I've got some from Germany and Finland somewhere in my cupboard...

According to the list I made, these are the issues I'm still missing:

MY LITTLE PONY COMIC
3, 4, 35, 45, 46, 73, 80, 86, 111, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 150, 169, 171, 174, 182, 187, 190, 194, 199, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206 and 212.

MY LITTLE PONY N FRIENDS COMIC
4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 32, 33, 35, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 44, 45, 46, 47 and any that come after 49 (not including 49).

I don't at the moment have any doubles, sadly :( but I would be interested if anyone has any of the ones I'm missing, particularly from the MLP comic range (I'm mostly focused on those right now, rather than MLP and friends).

I also have a bunch of stories scanned up on the Scrapbook site, here:
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/mlp_comic.htm

With the weird eyes on the First Tooth babies, I sometimes wondered whether that began because of Tic Tac Toe having a TE mother and just spiralled, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. They drew a lot from prototypes and such, but I haven't ever seen any prototype images for that set which would explain the eye weirdness...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:51:31 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 02:54:40 PM »
I wonder if Hasbro tried to push the BBE concept on them (with Cuddles) and the wires got crossed and the First Tooths ended up with what were meant to be BBE eyes instead.  They do tend to be drawn with a LOT of eyelashes, even when other ponies in the same comics have "normal" eyes with just the two upper and two lower eyelashes.

Incidentally, the guy who was the editor for MLP & Friends comics in later years has a blog on the internet.  We should try and get him over here!  His blog is called "Too Dangerous for a Girl".
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:58:46 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
I wonder if Hasbro tried to push the BBE concept on them (with Cuddles) and the wires got crossed and the First Tooths ended up with what were meant to be BBE eyes instead.  They do tend to be drawn with a LOT of eyelashes, even when other ponies in the same comics have "normal" eyes with just the two upper and two lower eyelashes.

I doubt it, because we didn't have BBE babies here really. We only had Cuddles and Half Note - Cuddles's release is a bit odd because of the time scale in which she came out, she's only promoted in the comics really late on (1986-7 ish?) and I don't even know exactly when Half Note happened, just that she did and probably alongside the regular eye version. We didn't even call them BBE eyes here, but lullabye eyes and they were marketed as Cuddles' gimmick, so I would be surprised if that was the reason?

Mind you, my explanation is just as unlikely, since we didn't have Quackers so it would be odd to make the whole set have weird eyes based on one baby pony's mother. I wonder if there's anything in hathorcat's catalogues about the FT babies that might clear it up..
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Gizmo

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 03:18:32 PM »
The eyes are a result of Hasbro's original character and color guide which illustrated the first tooth ponies with Beddy bye eyes:

These were illustrated during the prototype stage and were later used for licensing art and merchandising.

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 10:17:51 PM »
Wow, it seems that there are a lot of newer comic collectors out there at this point.
Yeah, Ladymoondancer, I've seen that site. I contacted Martin Grey and asked him if a spare copy of the Smooze comic was anywhere (he replied that either there was a copy lying in his parents' house, or a spare at Ehmont UK somewhere. thankfully, I've got it now).
That's an impressive collection, Taffeta! I can totally understand voracious over reading- in the eyes of a kid, these comics are priceless- to some.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:24:33 PM by anonymoushoneycomb »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 12:21:31 AM »
Belated comment but I just noticed Love Melody also grew a horn in that scan of LM's... XD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 02:32:34 PM »
I think there are a lot more comic collectors than you think! I've been collecting for years now, and like Taff I think I'm short about 30.

Okay, I just counted... it's 26. I have a ton of doubles, but am currently short these:
Normal: 167, 198, 200, 201, 204, 206, 208, 213, 214, 216-221, 223+ (if it exists)
Friends: 33, 36, 40-44, 47, 48, 51

I read mine to death as a kid. Only have a few of my originals as my mum through out any that no longer had covers. Those remaining are clearly well-read and a bit of a contrast to the nice condition of most of my comics!

Have a few bits of associated items as well, as have the order form for UK newsagents and also one signed by someone who wrote some of the stories (actually have three copies of that issue - the signed one, my childhood one and one with the gift still attached).

Would be very interested in hearing from people who have copies with the gifts still attached as have been trying to collate the information on that.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal