collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ​Plasticiser Breakdown  (Read 850 times)

FreyaBunny19

• Trade Count: (0)
​Plasticiser Breakdown
« on: July 01, 2015, 06:11:36 PM »
Hello every pony,

I just took all of my G1 ponies out of storage to clean and display, and quite a few of them have sticky pony syndrome or ​Plasticiser Breakdown.
So far Ive washed and powdered one of them (Party Time). Another one of my twinkle eyed ponies had it too and I was wondering if it's safe to display her next to my Mimic and Fizzy? ( They are super sentimental to me, Fizzy was from my first ever lot of ponies, and Mimic isn't cheap) I've read that it can spread from pony to pony, is it true? Just wanted to know before I put each set together on the shelves. Thanks so much for your help, this makes me so sad. I hadn't heard of this until recently and I though my ponies had seen the last of their condition issues after I cleaned them up.  :sad:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: ​Plasticiser Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:06:18 PM »
It doesn't spread, from what other people say, but keep them away from everything else until they're done leaking and wipe em down often, because you don't wanna get that stuff everywhere.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

FreyaBunny19

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »
It doesn't spread, from what other people say, but keep them away from everything else until they're done leaking and wipe em down often, because you don't wanna get that stuff everywhere.

Yay great to know!! I had heard that it could, but all of my ponies were together for years in storage in tissue paper and most of them were okay.
Thanks!!
  :frolic:

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »
I posted a similar question about this and also heard it could spread, but it's good to know it doesn't! I have a rock hard beautiful Boysenberry Pie I was concerned about  :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 11:46:08 AM »
As has been mentioned it wont spread to other ponies so you are perfectly safe to place them side by side. However to ensure the sticky plasticiser does not just stick on other ponies, I would make sure they were cleaned and powdered first :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »
I posted a similar question about this and also heard it could spread, but it's good to know it doesn't! I have a rock hard beautiful Boysenberry Pie I was concerned about  :)

Huh, I had a Boysenberry Pie who was the same way. Wonder if there's something about that particular color...?
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 08:38:33 PM »
Some plastic formulae are more prone to it than others - Boysenberry is one of them, my childhood pony was rock-hard only a few years after I got her. 

Plasticizer leeching does not spread pony-to-pony, and is not contagious, however groups of ponies can be affected if they're stored in similar, poor environments.  Breakdown is entropy, and poor storage conditions accelerate entropy.  The other factor (how stable the material is) varies from pony to pony.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 09:36:08 PM »
What kind of powder? Baby powder? Some of mine from the huge lot I picked up are sticky

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 12:29:44 AM »
Apart from mold (I mean actual icky stinky mold, not pindot which isn't mold), pony conditions do not spread even though the myth sticks tight in the community. It's just as Baby Sugarberry said, ponies stored in similar conditions can develop similar problems as the plastic starts breaking down.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 07:12:16 AM »
What kind of powder? Baby powder? Some of mine from the huge lot I picked up are sticky

Yes baby/talcum powder :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 07:14:45 AM »
This makes me wonder about ideal storage conditions when you can't actually display them. Quick, to the Search function!

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 07:43:08 AM »
Some plastic formulae are more prone to it than others - Boysenberry is one of them, my childhood pony was rock-hard only a few years after I got her. 

Plasticizer leeching does not spread pony-to-pony, and is not contagious, however groups of ponies can be affected if they're stored in similar, poor environments.  Breakdown is entropy, and poor storage conditions accelerate entropy.  The other factor (how stable the material is) varies from pony to pony.

On this topic, what aside from Magic Eraser and dish/liquid soap & water, is safest when it comes to cleaning pony bodies and wouldn't accelerate the plastic breakdown? I have heard conflicting things regarding 1) rubbing alcohol and 2) nail polish remover.
I only use Magic Eraser and -low grade- regular rubbing alcohol.. (one or the other, but not both like right after each other..if that makes a difference or anything..)   :)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 01:05:09 AM »
Generally the harsher and more toxic the chemical, the more likely it is to be bad for ponies.

Pony plastic does interact with acetone (it gets softer and swells but you need a ton of it), the most common nail polish remover ingredient, though the stuff is so volatile it evaporates pretty quickly.  The fact that no one has noticed any long term problems from its use leads to the general conclusion it's reasonably safe.  Do ensure you use chemicals in a well ventilated area, preferably outside, and wear gloves.  It's probably more dangerous to humans than ponies. Same with alcohol, it's been in long use and thus far seems to not have any long term dangers, other than both of them potentially being paint removers.

It's always a good idea to rinse your ponies well after applying anything to them for cleaning purposes.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal