collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Needing advice for a guilty friend.  (Read 2096 times)

GravePony44

• Trade Count: (0)
Needing advice for a guilty friend.
« on: June 30, 2015, 07:59:06 AM »
Recently a close friend and I have been visiting lots of old cemeteries. Abandoned ones, that receive little to no care. Well we traveled very far to go see one, and when we got there, all the stones were torn up from the ground and placed in a massive broken pile in the middle, almost none of them were readable, just blank broken slabs, dates weren't even determinable. Asked around, and they all said nobody does anything for it, except for mow the grass every now and then.
I get a phone call from him a few nights later, and he tells me he went back on his own, and he took 2 of the broken stones from the pile.
I said "...WHAT?!" he said he felt bad seeing how they were, and nobody seemed to care, so he took them home, gave them a light sponge bath with plain water to get all the mud and dirt off, and I still wasn't sure what to think. I went to his house immediately, and sure enough, there they were sitting in the middle of the floor of his living room, air drying from their bath.
Now after talking about it all week, he's feeling guilty. So I said "simple, just go put them back".  He's torn between the upset of how bad they were being cared for, and for the fact that he took them. I don't know how else to calm him down. I told him I would go with him tonight if he wanted me to, we'd just drop them back off, and leave without a word. But now he's imagining every horrible scenario possible, and I honestly don't know what to tell him.
Would it be best if he just go and put them back tonight?

Princess Lala

Re: Needing advice for a guilty friend.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:11:21 AM »
I agree and would have also told him to put them back!!! xD Thats so strange he just took the tombstones!!! Poor dead person, it belongs to them after all! LoL Let the rest of the public enjoy seeing them too!!! :) If he likes refurbishing old tomb stones maybe he could volunteer to clean the cemetary? That would be cool! All I know is I would be mad if someone took my headstone even in 500+ years! xD
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:24:47 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »
I agree, just take them back...I'm sure nobody has noticed.  If he feels bad that they aren't being cared for, then tell him to take some supplies and clean them THERE instead of taking them.  It's sad that they aren't cared for, but it IS someone else's property, so he should definitely take them back.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:52:17 AM »
I agree that no one probably noticed who is alive anyway. It's nice that he cleaned them, but he needs to put them back. You don't even want to mess with that mojo. Try not to feel bad about it, he was trying to help, not vandalize.

If he wants to take them home to clean, he might get in touch with the city/town. Another way of preserving them is to write down any legible info and enter it and photos of the headstones onto the 'Find A Grave' website.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:16:58 AM »
I agree. He really needs to put them back.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »
Yes, just have him put them back.  If he really wants to do something to help, he can take pictures of the gravestones and upload them to genealogy sites like Ancestry.com.  Old gravesites can provide a wealth of information about people trying to research their ancestors.  :)

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 10:30:36 AM »
I agree with everyone else, go put them back. Though if he wants to help, I can say from experience that towns and cities are usually cool with people cleaning up old grave sites, and caring for them. My granny had a friend who, about ten years ago, gathered a group of people willing to help clean up a small forgotten graveyard in their home town. She was tired of seeing over grown and forgotten, and there were a lot of people who felt the same way! They got together, went out and repaired stones, took out weeds and overgrowth, documented everything.... it was apparently a lot of hard work, but as they gained attention the city got in on the act and now it is really well kept, even ten years later!

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 12:08:09 PM »
I agree with the suggestions above.  He should put them back.

Im sure it wouldn't hurt if he cleaned them at the site--maybe get the city involved :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 02:56:44 PM »
Even though the stones may have been neglected, he is performing sacrilege by removing them.

If he wants to feel less guilty I'd suggest taking them back, and then doing some volunteering to help clean the cemetery. I've done it before, taking some water, buckets, clippers and helping clean up a derelict area of a cemetery.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 03:01:04 PM »
take them back you never know what or who you could be bringing home !!!
quick get the haunted collector !!!

Offline rearing_palomino164

• MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »
Volunteering to keep the place clean sounds good to me! But put them back for sure.

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 09:19:11 AM »
No to sound superstitious but it really invites bad juju when you remove things like headstones from a graveyard.  He should just return them and maybe spruce the place up a bit.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 01:12:24 PM »
Your friend sure has a heart of gold, caring for memories even those who belong to do not care of.

Though still, may I ask just what was he even thinking?! I recommend putting them  back soon as possible, before it could become a legal case. As in, NOW!

Offline CadePony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Obsessed with My Little Pony and Transformers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
Definitely, he needs to take the gravestones back where they belong. And if he really wants to make sure they're all clean and whatnot, why doesn't he simply volunteer to help maintain the cemetery? Even if no one really bothers going into that cemetery, I'm sure someone will at least appreciate that someone cares and wants to help keep the place maintained.

:heart: Thanks Nence for my adoptables in my sig and avatar!  :heart:

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »
No to sound superstitious but it really invites bad juju when you remove things like headstones from a graveyard.  He should just return them and maybe spruce the place up a bit.

Yep, I was wondering how to put this! Bad Juju ALL ROUND.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal