collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: decorating ideas  (Read 458 times)

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
decorating ideas
« on: June 27, 2015, 08:17:28 AM »
Hello Ponies!

I am on the hunt for cute decorating ideas for around the house. We recently moved and don't have a lot of decor and we are short on cash cause of bills (of course). What are some cheap, inexpensive decorating ideas? Our home is split. Cowboy/horse themed for me. The other half is Nintendo and Zelda themed for my husband. Both very different, but we love both!

I'd also love to see pictures of your decorated homes!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: decorating ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 08:25:28 AM »
I do not buy into the notion that collections should be hidden away in back rooms, so... I say let your collections be your decorations. if you have access to IKEA where you live there are lots of inexpensive, pretty neutral options for shelving and display... You can also find pretty inexpensive pillows/throws for your furniture in colors that compliment your collections at other places... I like to wait til towards the end of a season and look at Target/Walmart and outlet stores... kohls is a good store too and they looove to send out coupons.

Sorry I know none of that is all that specific or probably helpful at all ^^* I've been a homeowner almost 7 years and my house is not a Pinterest house... But it is one we are happy in with all our favorite stuff out where we can see it.

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 08:41:53 AM »
I've been thinking of finding old free pallets from some stores and building shelves to display all of my breyer horses. Of course I need the pallets first. I have a lot of family pictures I'd love to hang, but also need frames first. I'm terrible at pinterest diy's. I'm not a building type person haha. I leave that to the hubby.

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »
Oooh Breyer horses would look super cool on shelves built from pallets! I hope you can find some. I'm terrible at DIY's...

Big Lots is a good place for cheap picture frames, forgot to mention that...

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »

I made this for my BF...last year? for valentines day.  It held triforce shaped tea cookies--but you can easily make or buy bigger triangle boxes for storage, and if you aren't artistic like I am, the triforce is just 3 golden/yellow triangles.  Just paint the box black or dark green then stencil in the 3 triangles and you've turned the project from 'how the heck do I match THAT!?' to beginner :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 10:51:37 AM »
That box is so awesome! It looks like it was carved out of stone!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 12:13:26 PM »
I assume you have a joint Epona
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 01:12:28 PM »
Hubby and I just mix all our stuff up and don't really have themes. When we have more space we may divide thing out more. I'd love to see pics of others' decorations too!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 01:48:02 PM »
What are some cheap, inexpensive decorating ideas? (...) Cowboy/horse themed for me.

Ropes? No! Horseshoes welded on a rod as cloth hangers. Keep the ropes, regardless. I'll sleep on that, maybe I'll have more ideas tomorrow.

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 08:49:21 PM »
We have a few horseshoes. My favorite right now that we just hung up was a really old bridle and spur set. We are putting just anything on the walls for now since they are so empty.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 01:16:12 AM »
Why don't you get a couple of sheep shirts of whatever nerdy things you want in large sizes from ebay and sew pillowcases of them? I mean pillows on a sofa is a must isn't it? Or you can frame them and put on the wall. Do you crochet? Stitch? There is pretty awesome patterns out there.. a friend has a homemade stitched Death Star hanging from the ceiling in her livingroom and it is awesome.

Me and boyfriend have white furnitures everywhere, but we go with black framed pictures allover the house to keep a theme. We have not put them up in our new place yet, last thing to do before we're finnished (we moved here a couple of months ago). All the pictures are taken by him to make them more personalised. I am into dragons so between my DVDs there are dragon figurines watching them and among the video games we have Alien and Predator figurines as my boyfriend love those movies. We collect stuffed animals so on a shelf above the stationary computer we have stuffed Mario figures and in the sofa we have a growing family of Winnie the Pooh. I am not gonna take pictures until it's all done, but there is no end to the posibilities once you start thinking. :)

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 07:41:20 AM »
When we moved into our house, we would paint a room or do a project every year when we went on vacation. Painting is a cheap way to dramtically change your rooms. We get 2 vacations a year and some years we couldn't afford to go anywhere so we worked more on the house.

If you can sew, you could buy cheap fabric to make curtains- sometimes that is cheaper than buying them already made. You can also find fabric in themes you are looking for.

You can find cool lampshades at Dollar General and Big Lots. Also can find cheap picture frames at Dollar General. We got most our lamps at Wal-Mart and bought the shades elsewhere.

Something that is somewhat inexpensive and personal is making some of your favorite photos into canvases at photo places such as CVS or Wal-mart. I absolutely love my picture canvases! They usually range around $20-$30 and I don't think that is too terribly priced. Or if either of you are artistic you could paint your own pictures of horses or Nintendo stuff.

A good time to shop for home decor is back to school time, because they have all the dorm stuff out for college students. I got my throw pillows, full length mirror and sheets around that time.

Also you can find some cool home decor stuff at yard sales and flea markets. I found a really cool rainbow mirror for $2 at a yard sale.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:47:31 AM by Sukey »

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 07:02:48 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys! I have a thought of how I want to decorate the bedroom now!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal