collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Losing track of your ponies  (Read 1507 times)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Losing track of your ponies
« on: June 21, 2015, 07:57:20 AM »
I am wondering if anyone else has this problem. It's getting pretty bad for me. My collection is pretty big now at 943 ponies. I find myself not even knowing what G1's or G3's I have. I have no problem keeping up with G2's and G4's because the former two dwarf my collection of them.

I was looking at my MLP Collector's Guide book today, just flipping through it because I was bored. I saw a picture of the twins Sniffles and Snookums. I remembered last summer passing them up at the flea market. They were in very good shape and the seller wanted $10 for the set. I already had them so I decided to pass. Well, I went to look for mine just because.....I dunno, I wanted to see them. After several minutes of looking, I did not find them. Apparently I do not have them. :P   Now I wish I would have picked the set up!

I've also bought duplicates by accident too. One being Baby Brother Sweet Celebrations. Right after I bought him I was like......wait......it's baby SISTER I'm needing!

My ponies are not in any sort of order. They are all randomly placed. Year 9 may be hanging out with year 2. My nirvanas are chilling out next to common G1's. NO ORGANIZATION! What was I thinking? I should have sorted them by year and set, but I guess I was in too much of a rush to see what the finished shelf would look like.

Just wondering if those of you with large collections have this problem? I almost want to double-check before I buy anything now. Which will be hard to do at the Fair next weekend. XD I wish there was an app on the phone for ponies. It would make life so much easier.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:17:52 AM by DazzleKitty »
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
Re: Losing track of your ponies
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 08:35:25 AM »
I know what you mean! I've got over a thousand G1/G2/G3 and it got to the point where I had to do an up to date want list of who I still needed. It's not flawless, but it helps keeping up with what's still needed. Maybe you could do an inventory of who you have and go from there?

Offline SummerSkye

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 09:07:31 AM »
I don't think I have quite that many though I have most of the US G1s and G3s. I thought I had them packed organized but now I find I'm missing half of my twices as fancies, some of my so sorts and a few other. I wonder if I'm missing a box or something? It's so odd bc I know u would have sold them really don't think I would have split them up.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:36:31 AM »
I know what you mean! I've got over a thousand G1/G2/G3 and it got to the point where I had to do an up to date want list of who I still needed. It's not flawless, but it helps keeping up with what's still needed. Maybe you could do an inventory of who you have and go from there?

Over 1,000! :shocked: *imagines plushroo sleeping in the dog house while the ponies snuggle up in her bed for a House marathon and play poker in the kitchen
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 09:43:02 AM »
I don't have loads and loads of ponies, I think about 130? I still loose track of them. I have good memory for the most part, but I'm rubbish when it comes to G3's. The lady at my local charity shop saves ponies for me, so I went there a few weeks ago to see what she had. A g3 Scootaloo! I didn't have one! I get home, open my pony box to be cleaned up, to find a much nicer shape Scootalo sitting there. Welp. I've also found G3's in my drawers I didn't know I even had, such as Kiwi tart when I was looking for a totally different pony. I don't know what I'm going to do when I have collections as big as you guys 0.0
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »
I have close to 600 ponies (really need to count) and I don't generally have a problem remembering which ones I have.  It's the accessories that give me a pain - I know some things, but others I can't remember for the life of me.  Luckily, I'm not trying to match all the accessories to every pony, but I wish I could better remember which playset accessories I have and which I need.  That said, I still bring my wishlist to the Fair, because once you get into that room full of ponies, it's so easy to forget everything!

The one time I had trouble remembering if I had certain ponies was the summer that we moved right after the Pony Fair.  I had to come home from the Fair, pack my whole collection, and leave them in boxes for about 2 months.  I really had trouble remembering whether or not I'd bought certain ponies at the Fair.  It was fun in September unpacking them and discovering my new additions.

Elf

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 09:55:07 AM »
I try to keep track of them via a website (so I can always look them up), but I still get confused about accessories :P

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 10:19:12 AM »
Tuneful just made a really useful spreadsheet on Google Docs that is a great checklist!  You should try filling it out and see if it helps you organize any further. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline CadePony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Obsessed with My Little Pony and Transformers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 11:23:25 AM »
Fortunately my Pony collection isn't large (it's near the 50 mark), but I can imagine it must be difficult for people with much larger collections having difficulty keeping track of them all. Probably a good thing that I'm becoming extremely selective with the toys that I want to add to my collection (not just my Ponies), otherwise if I had that "gotta collect them all" mentality then I would most definitely have problems keeping track of them all.

:heart: Thanks Nence for my adoptables in my sig and avatar!  :heart:

Offline Bibsy

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 11:56:29 AM »
I definitely couldn't keep track of all my ponies and especially their accessories without my spreadsheet and I only collect G1 :)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »
I am just now starting to need to keep track. I am going to try to do Tuney's. I've definitely passed on ones I thought I had and grabbed duplicates :facepalm: not with g4's though because they come out with brushables so rarely that I have an easy time keeping track. -_-

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 12:23:49 PM »
I am fine now because I am only looking for upgrades (and German Moonstone) so keeping track is easy enough. However when collecting more actively, yes I had this difficulty! Its the reason I have 5 or 6 Flower Bouquets...I kept buying her because I did not realise I had her already :P

However a simply spreadsheet with my typing in the name of any pony newly aquired quickly solved the problem :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 12:35:24 PM »
I was just thinking about this yesterday as I was putting mine into a new storage contaioner. I was looseing them under ponies and freaking out, lost one of my twins and was like no..where is it after pulling things apart she was just under another pony. So yeah they are easily looked over. And twin and family sets and wingers seem to be getting a rep for growing legs and walking off. And I think it's beacuse they look alike so out mind plays tricks or they are little and easy to over look and loose.
:accomplished:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 12:56:54 PM »
I used to have that problem with model horses. I actually have an app on my phone for them and catalog them for insurance purposes anyway. Last year I almost rebought three expensive models because I couldn't find them and just thought I was losing it. Then I found them in one of my many cabinets. I ended up selling most of my models. I've sent from about 600 down to 50. Now it's much easier to find everyone. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 01:00:59 PM »
I keep an ongoing list of ponies I have on one spreadsheet and an ongoing list of ponies I still need on another.  It helps me track my progress. I also note how much I paid for each pony in case I want to sell at some point.  Some sets I just can't remember like the newborn twins and baby sea ponies.  They all look so similar.  And when it comes to G3s i have no clue.

I still forget sometimes but if I have doubts I check the spreadsheet before I buy.

The main problem i have with keeping track now that I'm collecting again is remembering which ponies I sold.  A few years back I sold around 100 ponies (about 1/3 of my collection) to pay some expenses.  Sometimes I think I have a pony but when I check my list its not there.  Its depressing when I think I kept a pony that I really liked only to find that I sold it. :(
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal