collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hard Plastic / Very Dark color ?  (Read 444 times)

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Hard Plastic / Very Dark color ?
« on: June 07, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »
Hay ponies! Got a two-part question here regarding a G1 Sweetberry MLP. . . My Boysenberry Pie is a very beautiful dark purple shade. Over the years, her plastic has become hard, other than that, she's in great original condition. A picture can be found in pony brag area under "MLP Collection." 1) Is the dark purple color a factory flaw (I'm guessing yes) and would this combo be good and bad as far as value/rarity?  2) How do you combat the hard plastic, or would you just "let her be?" I'm not selling her, was just curious. ..All the other BPs I have ever seen are not this color..and she's the only pony in my herd with this weird hard plastic. Thanks for your input!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:08:40 PM by hannah725 »

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Plastic / Very Dark color ?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
The darkness is not a factory flaw, it happens often to ponies with age as their plastic discolors and deteriorates. Boysenberry Pie is very prone to it, though usually it affects her head noticeably more than her body or vice versa. If yours is evenly discolored, good job getting her, she sounds beautiful.

As for the hardness, this is also very common in g1s. It happens as the plasticizer (what keeps them soft and squishy) breaks down, another symptom of aging plastic.

Hope this was helpful  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 04:07:28 PM »
The darkness is not a factory flaw, it happens often to ponies with age as their plastic discolors and deteriorates. Boysenberry Pie is very prone to it, though usually it affects her head noticeably more than her body or vice versa. If yours is evenly discolored, good job getting her, she sounds beautiful.

As for the hardness, this is also very common in g1s. It happens as the plasticizer (what keeps them soft and squishy) breaks down, another symptom of aging plastic.

Hope this was helpful  :)

Thank you, Bright Sky..Yes, this was very helpful!  Yeah, I had no idea about the color..She is one of my original childhood ponies, so I was/am fortunate on how she turned out!  :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:10:12 PM by hannah725 »

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
I have had several Boysenberry Pies over the years and I have found the majority of them to be hard.  Hard as in "weapon to seriously hurt someone with".  :P

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 07:31:13 PM »
If you notice that they occasionally get sticky... then later they're harder... that's a result of their plasticizer leaking. Supposedly this might happen a few times, then eventually you're left with a rock hard pony that probably still looks fine, but technically isn't in the best condition anymore.

(I've been doing a lot of research on this recently, actually, since I got a lot with a bunch of plasticizer-leaking ponies and friends.)

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 09:15:52 PM »
LOL Cricket!  :lol: :biggrin:
---
Good info! I guess I would rather have a single colored rock-hard BP than a soft two-toned one.. of course I wouldn't sell her!

I read someone mentioned to use car cleaning wipes on the plastic?? Anyone know of this to work, or does it only help to prevent the plastic from going hard? I would think it may damage symbols / paint.?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:17:43 PM by hannah725 »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 01:51:08 PM »
Boysenberry Pie does come in a darker shade - her HK and China releases are really rather different in shade. So the colour you are seeing could simply be how she was originally released.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 01:57:13 PM »
I have had several Boysenberry Pies over the years and I have found the majority of them to be hard.  Hard as in "weapon to seriously hurt someone with".  :P

Same. She is incredibly prone to plasticizer loss. Makes her double as a hammer, though!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 05:01:07 PM »

Same. She is incredibly prone to plasticizer loss. Makes her double as a hammer, though!
I haven't heard this and it's making me kinda sad! Boysenberry Pie is quite near the top of my wish list, but I hate dealing with plasticizer leaks! Rock hard hammer ponies are okay, though. I can keep her by the door in case any burglars show up. Better yet -- I'll rig a set up and put her above the door so she'll drop on the burglar's head, Home Alone style. ;)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 05:08:46 PM »

I read someone mentioned to use car cleaning wipes on the plastic?? Anyone know of this to work, or does it only help to prevent the plastic from going hard? I would think it may damage symbols / paint.?

Yep it can damage the paint- wrong type of vinyl treatment!  The car vinyl treatments are best for Kanekalon - like American Girl doll wigs.  Ponies' hair is a different type of nylon so "Son of a Gun" and related products do not work the same. 

Once they are hard, you don't need to worry about further treatment.  If they are still sticky, rub baby powder on them until they aren't sticky.  You'll have to do this a few times before all the plasticizer is gone.  :) 

Your Boysenberry Pie isn't devalued; she's normal (for her)!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 08:24:04 PM »
:lol: Home Alone style!!  -pony as hammer- Y'all are hilarious ^.^ 

Thanks for the additional info! I'm glad, she's still a nice pony and an even color is a plus.. She's always been one of my favorites.. Of course, I have a soft spot for purple ponies and unicorns. Hehe..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal