collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Original staples? (Press kit papers)  (Read 657 times)

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
Original staples? (Press kit papers)
« on: June 06, 2015, 04:57:56 PM »
I've been curious ever since I got an extra press kit of Escspe From Catrina, about making copies of the papers inside to sell it with the extra folder. Even though it's tempting to just keep them both... Anyway, would removing the staples, to make copies of the papers, be a bad idea?

Wasn't sure if it would ruin them or devalue them if I did it. Opinions?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: Original staples? (Press kit papers)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 05:49:02 PM »
I view finds like this more valuable for their information they hold than the actual ink, paper, and in this case staples.  And information should be shared.

There are probably some who would raise a stink if you removed the staples and copy them, but I personally would be more interested in what information they contain.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 06:52:59 PM »
If you do, I would say there's two things I would suggest.  One, if you are careful and patient, you could probably bend the staples, make the copies(or scans) and put the same staples back through the same holes.

My other suggestion is to scan them, and add the word 'copy' to the top or bottom edge, maybe in greyscale or something, just so there isn't any confusion about them being original.  I doubt any of us would try to pass the copies off as originals, but you never know what can happen to things 10+ years from now. :)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
One note.  Staples can rust over time.   At work we've been doing archiving and found a number of items where staples have rusted over the past 20 years and left rust stains on the documents.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 10:26:30 PM »
One note.  Staples can rust over time.   At work we've been doing archiving and found a number of items where staples have rusted over the past 20 years and left rust stains on the documents.
This is true. My biggest concern with removing the staples would be that it would be hard to remove them gently enough not to damage the paper.

I really wish you lived even relatively close to me! I work in a library and copy very valuable and fragile documents for a living (at least, that's part of what I do). I'd love to help you make copies on my super fancy equipment. But the next best thing I would suggest is that you head over to your nearest university library and ask for a meeting with their special collections people. Explain the situation and ask if they can help you scan and/or copy the documents.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 12:31:00 AM »
Id say it'd be fine too as long as the copies are marked copies. I'm interested in know what it contains as well! Are you the one with the original TV pitch bible too right? Where it explains all the ponies personality traits and such? Ugh to read through that! It'd be so awesome!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 07:45:39 AM »
The most important versions are the originals you have :) So personally I would leave them as are and work around the staples when copying them for selling on.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 11:41:08 AM »
This is true. My biggest concern with removing the staples would be that it would be hard to remove them gently enough not to damage the paper.

Spoiler
I really wish you lived even relatively close to me! I work in a library and copy very valuable and fragile documents for a living (at least, that's part of what I do). I'd love to help you make copies on my super fancy equipment. But the next best thing I would suggest is that you head over to your nearest university library and ask for a meeting with their special collections people. Explain the situation and ask if they can help you scan and/or copy the documents.

I work at a federal records center and sometimes have to remove staples in order to image documents.  The archive uses micro spatulas for this - you use the pointed end to carefully lift the two separate ends of the staple, then you slide the wider end under the "body" of the staple and carefully lift the staple out. Just don't re-staple them! As FiddlePhan said, staples (and metal paperclips!) can rust and damage the paper over time.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 05:22:19 PM »
Removing staples and paper clips (all metal really) is standard procedure for archiving paper documents - don't feel bad about taking the staples out, it'll ensure your documents survive in better condition. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Wildshadow

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 05:58:53 AM »
Id say it'd be fine too as long as the copies are marked copies. I'm interested in know what it contains as well! Are you the one with the original TV pitch bible too right? Where it explains all the ponies personality traits and such? Ugh to read through that! It'd be so awesome!

Yes I also have the writers guide =D if you lived closer I'd let you look thru it ^.^

Thanks  everyone for your input! I'll see how removing one staple goes. Also it didn't occur to me yet about marking them as copies, so thanks for reminding me! =D

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 06:00:47 AM »
Are you attending the Fair and bringing this material with you?
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Wildshadow

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 09:49:12 AM »
Are you attending the Fair and bringing this material with you?

There's a possibility!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »
Because I'm going to be at the Fair as well and would love to see these things in person.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 07:31:04 PM »
Maybe photography of the pages would work better, so you can have the individual pages stored more easily?

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal