collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Short hair vs. long hair  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
Re: Short hair vs. long hair
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 03:48:22 PM »
Actually I thought that CJ had a long and short hair version, but I thought maybe I was crazy.... I'm sure I've seen pics of both, pretty sure mine are all long hair though. Cannibalcow would to one to ask, but is she still around, or has she changed her SN or something? Or was that the TP? I'm always so confused lately!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 05:04:28 PM »
There's definitely two hair lenghts for CJ, but I think the shorter was a UK only release.

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 07:24:34 PM »
I have long haired Firefly (with gorgeous curls, she's droolworthy for sure), but can't for the life of me get a long haired Medley over here! We should do a 'Long-hair Trade'!

Until here recently, I never knew a SH Medley existed! I thought the one in the cartoon was LH..lol

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 08:20:35 AM »
I have 3 of the 4 US ones. I used to have Applejack MOC but I sold her, which is the only US carded pony I regret selling :) The other three I have loose:

The curls are often no longer there but they are distinctly different from the first edition even if the hair comes out of the curl. They also weren't always sold with super defined curls, because I remember my Applejack's hair was sort of folded, rather than curled. Let's see if I kept a picture...yep, though it's not very clear:

One day I will find another one and get that MOC back >.<.

If you look at the cards for the Y3 ponies, Firefly and Medley have had the graphics edited from the Y2 cards to show curly hair, which was a gimmick for 1985 I think.

The Tootsie hair-style CJ is probably from the UK, 1986 release. C.J was a special childhood pony of mine so researching this one out was one of my special projects a while ago, especially since it connects to the UK :D

Normal CJ is curly and also from 1985 (in the UK Hasbro calls them Groom & Style Ponies, and curly CJ is part of this set too, just as she is the US Y3 set). She's the one that's really common all over the place, so in her case curly is easier to find (or long hair/dropped out curls).

The bob I think we isolated just to the UK, and only to the 1986 set (with Gypsy, Hopscotch, Honeycomb, Posey with dark tulips and Snowflake). It affects hair and symbol, although there are a few symbol variations for C.J.   Here she is:

and MOC:

On the UK cards, C.J's hair is also edited to show the change from curly to straight:

She is much harder to find than the curly version, because the curly version was so popular and her release was so limited in comparison. It's all relative, you can still find her if you look for her - but she is more difficult than the curly one.

More information and images on the C.J variation here :D
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/cherries_jubilee.htm

General rule I find with rereleases is that the re-released version of a pony is normally the rarer of the two (unless there are special conditions involved, like mail order or whatever).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:36:54 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 09:40:18 AM »
Great info! Thanks for your input, and I love your photos, especially Medley!  :lovey:

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 02:42:07 PM »
It just occurred to me that I need to check my latest Medley purchase. I've always thought that I still didn't have any of the long hair variants, but I have a feeling this Medley (whom I haven't yet inspected closely) may have long hair...

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 10:53:42 PM »
It just occurred to me that I need to check my latest Medley purchase. I've always thought that I still didn't have any of the long hair variants, but I have a feeling this Medley (whom I haven't yet inspected closely) may have long hair...

How much would a nice, short hair Medley go for, I wonder..?  :satisfied:  :biggrin:

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 11:36:09 PM »
So I took a look at my ponies, and that Medley has short hair. BUT I have a long hair Firefly, apparently! I think I also noticed a long hair Bowtie. I guess I'm not so great at keeping track of the length of my ponies' hair. :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 02:27:23 AM »
You can tell the difference too by the texture of the hair, even in the case of a long haired pony with a haircut.

I thought I should just add a footnote - as far as I am aware, in terms of the HK made collector pose Applejack and Bow Tie - there are not two versions of these. Applejack has short/straight hair and Bow Tie has long/curly hair, as both were sold with the Groom & Style set in the UK in 1985, and in the UK set the ponies with curls were CJ, Bow Tie and Lickety while those with straight hair were Applejack, Tootsie and Posey. So the same variations do not exist for the UK versions. We had the normal straight hair versions in the first year and then CP in the second.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 07:55:38 AM »

How much would a nice, short hair Medley go for, I wonder..?  :satisfied:  :biggrin:

She is popular but you should manage to pick her up for the $8 mark.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »
Thanks, Hathorcat! Medley would be THE only pony I would consider having two of.. (well, with the exception of mom / baby variants, but they kinda don't count!) :happy:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal