collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Refurbish/Customs  (Read 673 times)

michellemybelle0530

• Trade Count: (0)
Pony Refurbish/Customs
« on: June 02, 2015, 08:49:02 PM »
Hey All!! :yippee:

Ok so, I have a couple of questions for y'all. As far as refurbishing ponies, I know a lot of tricks but there is a few things I do not know how to do. For glittery symbols what is the best way to make them look good again? How do you "cure" pony cancer? What about the twinkle eye ponies jewel eye is there a way to make it look like it used to? Also pen marks, I can get rid of some but there are others like ball point pen or sharpie that have seemed to have seeped into the pony body. Any suggestions on that?

And as far as the customizing goes, what type of clay/putty or what do you use to make things on the pony like make a unicorn horn or you know how some people make capes or make a regular pony into a sea pony and mold things onto the body. What type of materials do you use? Do you just mold the clay or whatever then paint it or do you use the type of clay you bake?

If I didn't list a question you would like to bring up please feel free to do so! I know I could probably YouTube some stuff but I would like to get some advice/legit video links from fellow pony people.

If this is the wrong forum to post this in I do apologize!!!

Thank you everyone!!!! :grouphug:

Offline Cron Sacchariferous

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Refurbish/Customs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 08:55:22 PM »
I'm going to make a tutorial tomorrow with pics on how to refurbish glitter symbols! :3

michellemybelle0530

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:57:53 PM »
I'm going to make a tutorial tomorrow with pics on how to refurbish glitter symbols! :3

:biggrin: :biggrin: love videos/pics makes it easier for me to understand lol

Offline Cron Sacchariferous

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 09:00:32 PM »
It's gonna be fun! Yay! Tutorials! lol

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 09:27:24 PM »
Going to move this to Customs for you. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline misskindle

• No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • ~Everything must be PINK~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 11:32:37 PM »
I can try to answer a few of these for you  :)
How do you get rid of pony cancer?
You really can't get rid of pony cancer, it's either a mold or plastic breakdown in the pony's body. Sadly, a few ponies are especially prone to it, like Gingerbread and Cherry Treats. All you really can do is leave it alone, or some people tend to paint over the spots to make it less obvious. There's also some debate about whether or not it can spread, so some are cautious about storing cancerous ponies near minty ones.
Can you give Twinkle Eyes their finish back?
No one's found a true match for the twinkle eye finish on the originals, but many have used clear or very light pearly nail polish for a substitute finish. It's not exactly the same, but it makes them look less like zombies  :lol: It's also recommended to test this on baity TE first, just in case it comes out wrong so you don't mess up their eyes. If you do mess up the finish, you can't take it off with acetone as that could melt their eyes.
How do you get rid of more permanent pen/Sharpie marks?
For deeper pen marks, try sunfading! Over a period of time the plastic in the pony's body reacts to the sun and "bleaches" it, getting rid of most pen marks. You have to cover the pony's symbols and eyes though, as they'll fade in the sun too.  There are several tutorials all over the Arena, varying from covering the pony's painted parts with tape, wrapping the pony in plastic wrap and"drawing" over the paint in sharpie, or using cheap acrylic paint and then removing it with rubbing alcohol. If you search, you can find a of tutorials easily enough. There are certain pony body colors that can react badly to the sun. Again, Gingerbread and Cherry Treats tend to "tan" and turn brown, and blue/purple bodies fade weird. Also search for a list of ponies that don't react to sunfading well.
For any other pony refurbish questions, I suggest checking out the Pony Preservation Project! It has tips anywhere from how to get rid of bad smells, custom dying tips, and more detail on all of the above topics.
http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/

What type of clay do you use to sculpt on ponies?
I am not a customizer, so I don't have absolute experience on this, but I've heard that many people use Apoxie Sculpt and it works really well, is easy to get, and is relatively cheap.
A really good custom tutorial site I've seen is Aikarin's. She's a retired customizer, but her website is still up.
http://www.aikarin.com/mlp/customs/customtutorials.html
More information on sculpting in general, and a compare/contrast chart between different clays: (http://www.aikarin.com/mlp/customs/customsculptingfaq.html)
How to turn a normal pony into a merpony: (http://www.aikarin.com/mlp/customs/merpony/merponytutorial.html)

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 02:02:28 PM »
Misskindle gave a good list of answers, I'll just chime in that you can also use Sculpey and other clay that need to be baked. Just make sure you test first that the pony doesn't melt and always keep a good eye on the pony while it's in the oven.

But as many others I too prefer Apoxie Sculpt. Apoxie is easy to use and it is a lot easier to add sculpt layers with it, for example Sculpey tends to start breaking if you bake it too many times. :)

michellemybelle0530

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 10:08:09 PM »
Going to move this to Customs for you. :)

Thank you!!

Post Merge: June 03, 2015, 10:11:58 PM

Thank you very much Misskindle and Uniun ! lots of great info  :biggrin: :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:11:58 PM by michellemybelle0530 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal