collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to put a g4 back together?  (Read 484 times)

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
How to put a g4 back together?
« on: June 01, 2015, 04:26:06 PM »
I have a finished custom g4 brushable, she just needs her head put back on.  None of the tutorials I've read show how to put it back together.  She's in three pieces: the body, the head and the peg thing.  Do I glue the peg thing back into the body then wait for it to dry and pop the head on?  If so what glue should I use?

Offline Tabbyclaw

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: How to put a g4 back together?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 06:12:30 PM »
Depending on how much painting you've done, the common suggestion I've seen is to pop the head onto the neck plug first and then glue the plug into the neck, to prevent the pressure of forcing the head onto the plug from putting extra stress on the more rigid plastic of the body and possibly cracking your paint.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 06:16:39 PM »
Yup, what Tabby said ^^ I also sometimes make a small cut into the head's neck ring to make it go on the peg more easily.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
I've done what both of them said, successfully.  I'd also recommend heating the base of the head with a hair dryer before popping the plug back in, it makes the rubber a bit soft.  And I usually hold the neck plug piece with a pair of pliers to get a better grip on it.  Good luck!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 05:25:12 AM »
I've done what both of them said, successfully.  I'd also recommend heating the base of the head with a hair dryer before popping the plug back in, it makes the rubber a bit soft.  And I usually hold the neck plug piece with a pair of pliers to get a better grip on it.  Good luck!
Be sure to be careful if the pony has a FBR.
I put the head on the peg first then in the body, mostly because some glues just don't hold well enough to withstand the force of having to put the head back on the peg
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 07:00:35 AM »
 :) Thanks for all the input.  The pony is a FBR.  So I will take your advice to put the head on the peg first. 
Now, I just need to know which glue I should use.

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 05:58:06 PM »
I use Krazy Glue to glue the peg back on the body and it is strong enough to withstand the force of putting the head back on. I leave it to dry overnight before putting the head back on. Usually I glue the peg before putting the head back on because I don't want glue getting on the head and stopping it from being able to turn. For a full body repaint I'd put the peg back in the head first though. I cracked the paint on a pony's body once from glueing peg first, attaching head second. :)

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 06:07:11 PM »
i've done this with layers of success. though i don't used a hairdryer (don't have one)
i use less conventional, potentially dangerous, so i won't say what
and i also use superglue to put the plug in the neck.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal