collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Removing Equestria Girl Head?  (Read 806 times)

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Removing Equestria Girl Head?
« on: May 30, 2015, 04:15:11 AM »
(Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum to post in. I wasn't sure if it went here or in the Customs section since this technically is not a pony. :lol: )
I'm working on a custom Equestria Girl right now. I found Vinyl Scratch/DJ PON-3 on sale at Target so I got her today. It involves sculpting(I'm turning her into a satyr/sort of anthro doll. Love the pony-leg look and I think it goes well with her pony ears too.), which also involves baking. I'm assuming her hair would melt in an oven, so I was wondering how I go about taking her head off temporarily? Would just boiling water and pulling it off do the trick like it does with regular ponies? The sculpted parts are actually just on her legs, so if the head doesn't come off, can I somehow get just the legs off?

I admit I'm just sort of chicken to experiment since this is my first EG doll, so I'm not too familiar with how they operate yet. Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.  :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Removing Equestria Girl Head?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 06:17:05 AM »
I haven't tried this with an EQG doll, but the boiling water and careful patient prising worked to remove Jem heads back when I used to customise them. I don't think that the EQG dolls are as good quality as Jem, so the necks might be more brittle/prone to snapping with too much pressure. I suspect, though, that this should make them easier to get off?  With Jem Hasbro used a separate plastic neck ball which went inside the head and the body and which was glued to the head and impossible to get out of the body without splitting the neck, so prising it out of the head and softening the glue was the only option (like with a pony's neck glue).

I just looked at my Rainbow Dash and it looks as though in her case there's just a ball on the end of the neck and that's inserted inside the head. I would think that would mean you'd be able to prise it off with warm water, to make the plastic expand. I'd just be careful of that neck breaking under the pressure...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Equestria Girl Head?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 06:47:32 AM »
I haven't tried this with an EQG doll, but the boiling water and careful patient prising worked to remove Jem heads back when I used to customise them. I don't think that the EQG dolls are as good quality as Jem, so the necks might be more brittle/prone to snapping with too much pressure. I suspect, though, that this should make them easier to get off?  With Jem Hasbro used a separate plastic neck ball which went inside the head and the body and which was glued to the head and impossible to get out of the body without splitting the neck, so prising it out of the head and softening the glue was the only option (like with a pony's neck glue).

I just looked at my Rainbow Dash and it looks as though in her case there's just a ball on the end of the neck and that's inserted inside the head. I would think that would mean you'd be able to prise it off with warm water, to make the plastic expand. I'd just be careful of that neck breaking under the pressure...

Thanks for the tips! I thought it also looked like all one piece, but I couldn't exactly tell. I'll try some warm water later today then. I hope the head cooperates and will come off and go back on easily. Hopefully the pressure won't be too bad...I'll just be sure to be careful with her. It is sort of worrying since the neck is so thin.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal