collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Scarification? Anyone?  (Read 3157 times)

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Scarification? Anyone?
« on: May 29, 2015, 09:05:44 AM »
Okay.. odd question time!

I am not able to get tattoos - I have a very rare allergy so despite it being a goal of mine, it is not gonna happen. 

Anyone have some scarification done?  I think it's beautiful and I already have a fair number of scars on my left arm that could be incorporated into a design (I think).  I found a very reputable shop in my city so now I just have to plan the design.... and make the final decision if I want to do this or not. 

Advice?  Thoughts?  Public perception of scarification versus tattoos?
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Scarification? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »
If you think it best, didn't know there were professionals for that kind of thing and have never heard of it outside tribal practices in Africa
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:24:40 AM »
its news to me..but wouldn't your skin react similar to an allergic reaction? Or perhaps im thinking of something else?

Maybe do a bit of research and make sure your body wont react first^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 11:54:27 AM »
Interesting- I can't say that I'm too familiar with the practice.

My only concern might be that it would cause the formation of keloids...

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:51:21 PM »
eeeeee I've never seen this before and can't say I would ever get it done  :shocked:
I really think white inked tattoos are the prettiest (and give off the same effect imo)

(image from http://www.tattooeasily.com/white-ink-tattoo-ideas/ )

Offline Cron Sacchariferous

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 12:57:10 PM »
I hate to sound like mom, but careful with scarification. Keloids can come by surprise and are not your friend. D: Food for thought really..

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 01:00:35 PM »
Hmm... I've seen some people who have those, but they are very different looking from tattoos. I guess I would actually advise that you talk to your doctor first and make sure your immune system can handle it efficiently. I also have some allergies that might make tattoos difficult (I'm allergic to various dyes), but I know that my immune system would NOT do well with intentional scarring, either. Basically, there's probably a chance that you might end up with more scars than you bargained for.

Also, I think public perception of scarring is a bit less embracing than it is towards tattoos.

BUT if you think your body can handle it and you want one, I say go for it. :)

SpookyCookies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 05:10:44 PM »
I would definitely make sure you find an  APP certified shop/artist and look through their portfolio! Make a consultation, and a good artist will take time to go over all the facts and address any concerns you may have, as well as the proper healing.  If they are not willing to take time to discuss this, I would't go to them. Keloids are a thing to be aware of, but you and your artist can take a look and talk about that. you want to have good even scarring, so it will also heal out nicely. I think it is beautiful and adds beautiful texture to your body. If you want, you can PM me and I can ask my friends ( I have a few in the industry that are members of Association of Professional Piercers) who is best in your area. Also look up Sampaa Von Cyborg's work. He is a master in my opinion and travels the world with his wife doing major modifications. I plan on having him do my ears (pointed)
 :lovey:

edit: be wary of white ink tattoos. they tend to fall out and age kinda yellowy depending on skin type and sun exposure. I have a white moon on my face that has stayed well and haven't faded, but I am pretty fair and stay out of the sun.  If you are darker skinned and sun a lot, expected for them to faaaade. I've seen a lot of girls come in and out of shops wanting them touched up constantly. ;)

hope this helps a bit?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:13:27 PM by SpookyCookies »

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 06:16:07 PM »
http://purebodyarts.com/

I personally haven't had this done, but I've heard really great things about someone in my neighborhood who does- his name is Brian Decker ^^^. He travels frequently for conventions and guest spots and such. Maybe email your question to him or another qualified practitioner for their opinion?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:59:28 PM by Raspberry Brulee »
ISO UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire, and complete jewelry babies :cool:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 08:48:41 AM »
I dunno..... I don't think I know enough about it to really give an opinion.....

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 09:37:19 AM »
Personally, it's not something I'd do, though it is increasingly available here.The first time my BF saw someone with scarification he literally recoiled...I think the majority of the public would probably do the same, even though tattoos and piercings are pretty mainstream these days.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 05:21:56 PM »
I've seen them done right, and seen them done very wrong :( My favorite was osmeone with scarred wings into thier back <3

I also hear it takes a much high pain tolerance than getting a tattoo done

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 06:00:05 PM »
I just did a Google image search for scarification photos. :shocked: It looks so scary to me. Like, horror movie scary.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 07:46:05 AM »
I'm allergic to metals so pigment is right out.   As I understand, I will heal if they run the tattoo gun over me "blank", and I don't want to go into a shop every year and re-touch.

I already have a partial scarification on the arm but I can't really reach around the curve of my arm anymore - and yes, it's very tricky to do this with a scalpel by yourself! LOL  oh and yes it hurts a lot but that is part of the "ritual".  It frustrates me to know that I can't wear sleeveless things without people asking about the odd scar *right now* or peering at me funnily, but if I bring more attention to it, I'm going to have to explain yet even more.  And it's tied to a bad memory and experience with someone from my past I would rather forget, so I keep thinking that transforming it with pain might alleviate the pain I have about the memory. 

I do have a very professional shop I could go to in Calgary - there is only one studio that will do it.  The waitlist is a few years for the head guy because he's been getting certifications and instruction with scarification and piercing since 2006, let alone his tattoos! 

I haven't Googled yet... I am sure I am going to roll my eyes at how extreme it looks.  Like I said, I have a basic design that I started myself - I know how much it bleeds! It is very common in indigenous peoples to perform this but it hasn't really caught on too much with Westerners as a popular form of body modification.   I think it looks much prettier than tattoos anyhow. 

Ah well, I have lots of time to think about it - my skin and I are going to be here together for awhile!  If and when I decide... 

And hey! I taught some people about something new today!  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • ♫ Portugal - Walk The Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 02:37:29 AM »
I'm pretty open to body modifications (I have had 4 facial piercings and 2 dermal piercings), no tattoos due to my religious belief though but I love to admire body art. Personally i'll never do scarification as I find it too "extreme" for my taste and on a personal note I do not encourage it among my friends, but ultimately it's your body and you know best  ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal