collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Was the First Pony in Your Collection?  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: What Was the First Pony in Your Collection?
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
My first ones were G4 Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. I bought them in Tesco at the same time in 2011.

Tuneful, left over from my older sister's childhood that I braided the hair of as a kid. Found her in my toys in my old room as a teenager, still braided like I had her. She still has those braids and is top center of my collection.

And because she's special to me I have her MOC on both US and UK cards.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

No good photo of my loose one, I need to though.

And then on Ebay in 2000 as a 12 year old I bought Sparkler, who we mailed a personal check for. lol
Thankfully my dad was just like buy whatever you want, I bought a lot of ponies online and we sent checks and money orders, funny to think back on :). I have no idea who came after that.

Out of interest, which one is the UK version and which is the US? I like the green card better, it suits her  :lol:

The US is the green card, so much better!!! I like US cards wayyyyy  better than UK cards which are always kind of odd colors and meh designs. I actually got UK first because it's all I could find, then I finally got a hold of the US like right after that, mere weeks (funny because I waited a long time for her to pop up). Both in time for my birthday last year. :D

Pardon? O.O I object!

XD.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:45:24 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2015, 03:41:54 PM »

Pardon? O.O

XD.

That's right. :P I need more color and flashiness than the UK cards!

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »

Pardon? O.O

XD.

Each to their own, I guess. I admit that I like the early US cards, although not as much as I like the equivalent UK ones (I would rather have even Powder etc on the cards they had in Scandinavia, beause they are UK style, than the US one if I could, because much as I love the US cards, they're tied too much to pose.

The ones from Tuneful's year I really don't like very much at all xD. They're too "flashy" for me, and I don't like the idea of SHS with earrings on bubble cards instead of in boxes. I'd be scared if I had one that they'd get broken.

I like the borders, but then I grew up with them! I don't find them meh, especially since they meant we still had individual stories for each pony right up till 1993 ;)

HOWEVER, 1987 was an exceptional year for pony art on UK cards, and, in my humble UK-biased opinion,  this card has to have a special mention.
Spoiler
Spoiler

Maybe not so meh after all...?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:52:13 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ponycake

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2015, 03:51:53 PM »

Pardon? O.O

XD.

Each to their own, I guess. I admit that I like the early US cards, although not as much as I like the equivalent UK ones (I would rather have even Powder etc on the cards they had in Scandinavia, beause they are UK style, than the US one if I could, because much as I love the US cards, they're tied too much to pose.

The ones from Tuneful's year I really don't like very much at all xD. They're too "flashy" for me, and I don't like the idea of SHS with earrings on bubble cards instead of in boxes. I'd be scared if I had one that they'd get broken.

I like the borders, but then I grew up with them! I don't find them meh, especially since they meant we still had individual stories for each pony right up till 1993 ;)

HOWEVER, 1987 was an exceptional year for pony art on UK cards, and, in my humble UK-biased opinion,  this card has to have a special mention.
Spoiler
Spoiler

I've seen the ones you just posted images of a few scant times, they are so pretty! I love the all out artwork. Big fan of ones like that and would pay a lot more for ones on those cards.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
I think it's my favourite early UK card. I don't have the Mountain Boy one any more, though that's quite pretty as well. We did have a lot of sets with borders, but only ones from about 1990-1992, so barely 3 years of 11 or 12 overall.

The thing is that those are just the more commonly found ponies MOC so they're the ones people think of as UK cards. Especially since somany have come out of Greece in the last few years too.

There are some really pretty early cards that don't get to see the light of day very often, like the PNP baby sea pony cards with the story written in the seashell on the back.

I guess that for me "meh" is a bit of a generalisation.

And, you know, if your UK carded Tuneful is too boring, you can always send her to live with me...*innocent*
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ponycake

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2015, 04:21:20 PM »
I think it's my favourite early UK card. I don't have the Mountain Boy one any more, though that's quite pretty as well. We did have a lot of sets with borders, but only ones from about 1990-1992, so barely 3 years of 11 or 12 overall.

The thing is that those are just the more commonly found ponies MOC so they're the ones people think of as UK cards. Especially since somany have come out of Greece in the last few years too.

There are some really pretty early cards that don't get to see the light of day very often, like the PNP baby sea pony cards with the story written in the seashell on the back.

And, you know, if your UK carded Tuneful is too boring, you can always send her to live with me...*innocent*

That's ok, her being Tuneful is enough to make up for the boring card. :D

Being a MOC collector I've still seen a little of everything but yeah, I do dislike that border one the most. Still, others have kind of funky artwork to me and I outright dislike the seapony cards. Whereas there aren't really any US cards I dislike. Didn't mean to offend. :P I kind of like that you are pretty much UK only MOC collector and I'm pretty much US only. :) Not for competition reasons, lol, I just feel like we're the same sort of person but we prefer our own more.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2015, 04:57:06 PM »

That's ok, her being Tuneful is enough to make up for the boring card. :D

Being a MOC collector I've still seen a little of everything but yeah, I do dislike that border one the most. Still, others have kind of funky artwork to me and I outright dislike the seapony cards. Whereas there aren't really any US cards I dislike. Didn't mean to offend. :P I kind of like that you are pretty much UK only MOC collector and I'm pretty much US only. :) Not for competition reasons, lol, I just feel like we're the same sort of person but we prefer our own more.

I think you're right - it is fundamentally about the things we remember and grew up with. I don't just collect UK MOC, I have some early US ones and a couple of European ones too, but with US carded ponies, it's if they take my fancy or have some connection (ie a pony that was in comics here as a kid but not sold here, if you know what I mean?).

Unfortunately the early UK ones are usually rarer/more expensive than most of the early US ones because of supply/demand, and the US names won't do for ponies I had as a kid, which is why I never kept my MOC Sugarberry. I don't regret it, because I didn't have Sugarberry, I had Strawberry Fair and so I'm holding out for her ;). And, although her box is French, it's why I never bought a MIB Tropical Breeze till this year, because I was waiting for one that had the same box my childhood one had. (It only took about 16 years...xD). I know I'll never get some of my childhood ponies MOC because of who they are, so I am careful to pick the UK MOC ponies that I want the most. To put it in context, I've seen more MOC Mimics come up online than I've seen 1987 TE ponies on the UK white card.

I used to have a bunch more US carded ponies but sold a lot of them because they were on US card and I thought US people would value them more than  me. The only one I regret parting with at all is 2nd release Applejack, because I still don't have a loose y3 Applejack xD. Little art details on some of the US cards do irk me, though - like Masquerade and I think, Whizzer, being on the front of Mimic's card, when they weren't sold with Mimic's set.

I did notice your two Tunefuls aren't the same, though. The red hair variation makes them different ponies xD so worth keeping even with the borders.

I don't really mind if you don't like UK cards, or if you don't like a particular style of UK card. If you don't, it means one less person trying to buy them xD. I just felt it was a bit of a harsh generalisation based on one particular style, given that a lot of the early UK cards are as decorative or more so than the US equivalents, just different. I like the border cards better for some sets than others, because I had a lot of those ponies as a kid and they are the cards I mostly kept because I was old enough to do so (including Tuneful's!) but I'm not a huge fan of the 1993-4 pink card style. I don't like the artwork or the collective stories they have.

And now to get back on topic, I'm still looking for my first pony MOC ;) Windy is not a hard pony to get MOC. UK carded Windy apparently is. Sigh ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ponycake

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2015, 05:04:49 PM »

I don't really mind if you don't like UK cards, or if you don't like a particular style of UK card. If you don't, it means one less person trying to buy them xD. I just felt it was a bit of a harsh generalisation based on one particular style, given that a lot of the early UK cards are as decorative or more so than the US equivalents, just different. I like the border cards better for some sets than others, because I had a lot of those ponies as a kid and they are the cards I mostly kept because I was old enough to do so (including Tuneful's!) but I'm not a huge fan of the 1993-4 pink card style. I don't like the artwork or the collective stories they have.

Yep, that's cause I actually dislike almost all of them and do find them bland or a little weird, so overall 'meh' for me. That's just how I've always felt about UK cards and boxes. I don't buy any of them, I've always liked all the US ones much more. The colors aren't my taste, a lot of the artwork is wonky and not ideal to me, I'm not sure. Even though Tuneful would not have been a pony I liked normally, since she was my first pony I really enjoy having both the UK and US cards. Though I'm not sure I'd have bought the UK one if I found the US first, I think it's a nice tribute now to the pony that started it all for me. I found Tuneful in my room and fell in love. I love the green card she is on though, it's so fitting for a loud pony like her.

I only have Greek Windy MOC, she is gorgeous.

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »
In 1997 I was walking past a toy section in a department store and saw the G2s.  Agonized for a half hour over who to buy, finally came away with Sky Skimmer.  Shortly thereafter I discovered ebay and bought my first G1 lot: Glory, Sparkler, and Windy.

Elf

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2015, 05:34:35 PM »
Mine was technically a G4. I was introducted to Moondancer and Seashell when I was a kid, but they were my aunts! I broke down into buying ponies when the blindbags came out as I had to have the glitter Rainbow Dash. Then G4 lyra brushable was released and I just loved her colors so I bought! Next was Sunny Rays, Cherry Berry, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, more blindbags, then from there it got out of control! Now im wanting G1 ponies!

The blind bags were what got me, too. The first one I got was Twilight from Wave 1. I got her as a compromise since I couldn't find Pinkie. It was about 3 years ago.

I remember telling myself when I first started watching FiM, "I like this show, but I'm not going to buy a bunch of little girl toys."

BUT I DIDN'T LISTEN

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2015, 06:26:04 PM »
I remember telling myself when I first started watching FiM, "I like this show, but I'm not going to buy a bunch of little girl toys."

BUT I DIDN'T LISTEN

lol :)

My first ponies were Glory and Peachy; I got them secondhand in the late 1980s when I was about three. I was playing with them in the secondhand store and when the employee saw how much I liked them she gave them to me and my mom for free. :) And the rest is history . . .

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »
My first childhood pony was Medley.  I honestly don't remember who was my first pony when I started actually collecting in my teens.  MLP wasn't on the shelves at the time so I was picking them up at garage sales.  I do remember that Wysteria was my first G3.

Offline Nekronyte

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Call me Nek
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2015, 09:05:11 PM »
When I first got into MLP I bought a Playful Pony sized Applejack (in fact, that's her in the pic for my avatar) Later when I decided I wanted to start collecting the first pony I got was Moondancer, she was in pretty rough condition but I didn't really know it at the time.
http://followingponies.tumblr.com/  :good:
My tumblr - mostly pony related.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2015, 11:28:13 PM »
The first pony I bought with my own pocket money when I was about 12 years old was G3 Minty, I don't have her anymore but I do still have Cloud Climber and Desert Palm. When it came to replacing my early childhood ponies (which were all hand-me-downs), the first one I got was Posey; she was always my favourite (and still is but don't tell the others!)

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2015, 12:51:53 AM »
G3 Starcatcher, who I got for my birthday :3
I finally found my grail! :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal