collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can someone please give me a Sailor Moon (English) rundown?  (Read 607 times)

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Hi all!  My sister and I were talking this morning about Sailor Moon and both of our heads are spinning.  I am super confused...  I know that there are currently 5 seasons of Sailor Moon, with a remake on Hulu of Sailor Moon Season 1 (Sailor Moon Crystal, correct?). 

Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon R
Sailor Moon S
Sailor Moon SuperS
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars

Sailor Moon Crystal remake of Sailor Moon; based more off the Manga

Do I have that correct?  Where do the movies go?  And my biggest question...which ones are out in English on DVD?  I have seen some of them at Walmart, can you buy the complete seasons?  And if so - which ones?

Thanks for your help lovelies!  :lovey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone please give me a Sailor Moon (English) rundown?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:51:06 AM »
in the Japanese dub there are 5 seaons but due to censoring in the original DiC dub America only got 4, Classic,R,S and SuperS. but there is a new dub being provided by VIZ Media (I think they should be about done with the first season by now?)

and the ones you see at Walmart are the new VIZ Media dubs, not the original DiC dubs :D

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »
I don't believe the old English dubs were ever officially published on DVD (only on VHS), though there are a lot of bootlegs floating around (usually only found online).

I'm not anything close to a Sailor Moon expert, but I believe THIS set and its following seasons are the only English DVDs that are worth watching.

I also know that there have been different manga releases, but the only ones I've actually read were old ones from the 90s (both English icky ones and some in Japanese where I mostly just looked at the pictures). I think this is the most up-to-date manga to read.

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 09:06:07 AM »
Eeeeeee Sailor Moon thread!!! \(^o^)/

If I remember correctly......its been over a decade since.I watched the first few seasons... they all loose their memory about being sailor scouts a few times to be normal girls!? That never made sense to me since they had to remeet and learn everything again, I was also confused even as a kid! I like Sailor Moon S I think because Chibiusa aka Mini Moon appeared and she is my favorite! I will say Sailor Moon Crystal is the best!!!!  :P I love the way they are pacing the series! Less goofy nonsense and its a lot more seriousness!!! I got the feels several times and the animation is beautiful!!!!

At walmart we have a complete season on DVDand another one in a pretty pink collection but but I dont remember which one that was!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:48:31 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 09:27:16 AM »
I have.... No idea. So I'll be watching this thread too!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:38:42 AM »
Season 1 part 1 is the one at Walmart. Part 2 is released but I could never find it at Walmart so I bought it online.

And just to clarify-- for the official (viz) release of season 1 the cover will say "Sailor Moon". It is split up into TWO boxes. It does not say part 1 or 2 on the cover, but will say it on the back.

Sailor moon R (season 2) will be out in July. There are no other release dates for other seasons.

I don't know if Sailor Moon R DVD will be complete. :/ I doubt it BC the cover for season 1 is deceptive. I thought season 1 part 1 was complete till I took it home. )':

So, right now: VIZ does not have a complete box set out for any season.

http://www.viz.com/sailor-moon

Vvv below the *boxsets* Jordan posted are the adv and pioneer/geneon releases. They are pretty old! And subs only for the ADV ones.  Last thing I knew they were really expensive. I sold my season one for $250+   
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:57:52 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 10:40:20 AM »
I don't believe the old English dubs were ever officially published on DVD (only on VHS), though there are a lot of bootlegs floating around (usually only found online). up-to-date manga to read.
Yeah they were, DiC made a whole DVD set for the second season

and the S, Super S and the blue boxset

and of course the DVD releases of the movies

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 12:36:08 PM »
Are they getting English voice actors for Crystal?  Its on season 2 (the Rini arc) right now.

ETA: Worth noting im not in the US so Hulu doesn't apply to me.  I have no idea what they are doing or where they are at.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:41:09 PM by melodys_angel »

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 01:41:08 PM »
Are they getting English voice actors for Crystal?  Its on season 2 (the Rini arc) right now.

yes. http://sailormoonnews.com/tag/sailor-moon-crystal-english-dub/

ETA: Worth noting im not in the US so Hulu doesn't apply to me.  I have no idea what they are doing or where they are at.
Can you watch it directly from VIZ (or neon alley?) : http://www.viz.com/sailor-moon

Offline CadePony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Obsessed with My Little Pony and Transformers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 03:14:18 PM »
I'm surprised no one talked about the Sailor Moon movies in this thread. =/

I'm not sure when each movie is set, chronologically-wise with the main anime series. The Sailor Moon R movie I'm guessing happened sometime before Rini/Chibi-Usa returned to Crystal Tokyo, possibly right after they defeated the Negamoon/Black Moon Family. The Sailor Moon S movie, that's really hard to pin down when exactly the events in the movie happened due to the fact that at the end of the S season Sailor Moon's chalice/grail was destroyed, Sailor Pluto had used her forbidden power of stopping time and died, and Sailors Uranus and Neptune decided to go off on their own and they never appeared in the SuperS season (but they came back in the Stars season that had never been released in the United States); I guess maybe there was a brief period of peace during the time the Sailor Scouts/Soldiers were dealing with the Witches 5 when the events of the S Movie happened, but I just don't know. As for the SuperS movie, I have a pretty good hunch that the events of the movie took place after the SuperS season had ended.

Hope that answers your question about where the movies go.

:heart: Thanks Nence for my adoptables in my sig and avatar!  :heart:

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 04:10:05 PM »

Oh yeah, I don't usually think of individual episode DVDs (where they put three or so episodes on a DVD). I knew that blue box set existed, but I didn't know much about it other than that it was nearly impossible to obtain. What's the deal with that? Was it some kind of limited release or something? And I assume it has the original English dubs...?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 04:52:07 PM »

Oh yeah, I don't usually think of individual episode DVDs (where they put three or so episodes on a DVD). I knew that blue box set existed, but I didn't know much about it other than that it was nearly impossible to obtain. What's the deal with that? Was it some kind of limited release or something? And I assume it has the original English dubs...?
Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R didn't have the dubs. it is subtitled only. The first release with the dubs are the dic versions-- they were not a box set (as far as I know.)

They were not drastically expensive when they were originally released... in fact I remember them clearanced at bestbuy... Then they became out of print, the contract for the series ended, and Sailor Moon has always been popular, so the price sky rocketed.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:57:00 PM by banditpony »

Offline Iris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://shadesofrain.deviantart.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 06:57:24 PM »
I don't know if Sailor Moon R DVD will be complete. :/ I doubt it BC the cover for season 1 is deceptive. I thought season 1 part 1 was complete till I took it home. )':
http://www.viz.com/sailor-moon

R is definately being split into 2 parts as well.  The convention I was at two weekends ago had Season 2 (R) Part 1 up for preorder with the special limited coin.

I also know they have every intention of eventually bringing out all of the seasons (likely in two parts) because in the Viz panel discussion they were discussing how the big boxes for the limited releases were all supposed to mesh color wise and look really pretty together when all is said and done. (Season 1 is pink, Season 2 will be a peachy orange, etc etc).

And Sailor Moon Crystal is going to have the same exact voice cast as the people working on the redubbing of the original series on Hulu.  They've actually already begun working on it, though I'm not sure how long until it's supposed to come out.  I'm really hoping Crystal will come in a single set and not in parts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal