collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice on selling collection? Very overwhelmed.  (Read 1821 times)

scenceable

• Trade Count: (0)
Advice on selling collection? Very overwhelmed.
« on: May 24, 2015, 10:55:25 AM »
Hi guys!
Most of my collection (Mostly G1) has been in storage for a few years and I feel like they deserve more love than that! I am hoping to sell off most of them to people who will actually appreciate them. I'm planning to keep a good chunk of them, I just have SO MUCH and a lot of duplicates so I need to move them on. Most of them are in huge storage boxes at my grandmother's house.

I'm sure some of you have done this before, any advice?

I have 2 full Paradise Estates with accessories, 2 Dream Castles (partial accessories), 2 or 3 show stables, and I think 4 nurseries that are partially complete. I have boxes and boxes of accessories like diapers, clothes, shoes, and bottles and have no idea what goes with what.

Do you think I should photograph everything and number it and sell them like that, or should I try to pair things together so I can sell a "complete paradise estate", for example?

Since I live in Toronto, Canada, doing in-person sales might also be an option.

In addition to the playsets and accessories, I have quite a few doubles of ponies, quite a few G3 MIB ponies, and will probably be selling a bunch of actual G1 ponies, including babies, the full G1 birthflower set, and possibly other larger items like the plushies, sleeping bags, sheet sets, and that type of thing. The idea of selling everything overwhelms me greatly, and the fact that most of it is at another location makes it that much harder.

Any advice you guys have is appreciated!

Offline Miss_Pompon

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on selling collection? Very overwhelmed.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:41:42 AM »
I'd probably sell a complete paradise estate instead of trying to sell piece by piece, easier this way + otherwise you'll take the risk of having the bulk of it left and only some accessories gone. Same for the other playsets.

For the diapers/clothes/shoes/bottles, take some pictures and post them in pony corral for identification but it's not really necessary, people interested in them will recognized them ;). For these, either you try to match them or just sell them like they are, I don't think it's that important.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Made by LordBlumiere, thank you so much

My Want List

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:48:16 AM »
I agree on selling them complete. I'm trying to buy paradise estate right now, and I completely look over ones where they are pieced out in multiple transactions. It's just not worth it to me, so I'm sure others would feel similar.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 12:30:55 PM »
I live right across the border from you ;) I think the more you can sell as a complete set the better. I know that when I am buying vintage toys I try to buy things in complete sets because you can go batty trying to find all of the pieces.

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 02:58:34 PM »
How would you feel about selling the entire collection in one swoop?  I live two hours away. ;)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 04:25:41 AM »
I think the more you can sell as a complete set the better. I know that when I am buying vintage toys I try to buy things in complete sets because you can go batty trying to find all of the pieces.

I agree ^^ :nod:  sells better and people in general would prefer to buy complete or as near complete sets as possible . Make up whatever complete sets you can  (you can always make a few threads in the Corral if you are unsure about what goes with what ;) )  and then sell the other things in lots or separate  depending on the rarity of the item (say..if you have something really HTF then it would make a better sale alone) .
Of course , if you can find a local buyer that would take the lot off you in one go at a price that you are happy with, that would save a lot of time stress and hassle but you need to weigh this up against the prices you could get for them selling separately/on here/on ebay /wherever as usually a great big lot wont sell for as much as small lots, and if you sell somewhere like ebay you can get better prices usually due to the number of people who will be looking for those items/viewing what you have for sale (especially the market widens if you sell internationally)  - but if you have a local buyer it might still be worth it as you wouldn't be paying fees,  having to takes pics, write descriptions etc... :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 12:28:47 PM »
oh wow two paradise estates I just wanna have one someday complete. I agree with others have said take many photos and descriptions. Try to go over things with fine detail. I know its a pain but it helps. :/

scenceable

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 06:52:39 PM »
Thanks so much everyone for all the great advice! I am starting this fairly early (saving up for September or so), so will likely be selling things piece by piece over a few months. I think I am leaning toward taking my time and listing things separately and more together instead of big huge lots. But, of course, I still have to actually have a look through everything I have! There's so so much. I have no idea how I managed to amass so much, honestly!

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »
In the long run I think you will get more bang for your buck if you sell things slowly. I think it is sometimes easier to sell in a big lot, but then you lose money.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 03:32:25 AM »
:bigups:
There's so so much. I have no idea how I managed to amass so much, honestly!

*grins*  :biggrin: I don't know how I managed to amass so much either  :bateyes:  :angel: :whistle: :silly:
All the best with your sales though hun :)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 03:50:42 PM »
You should take it all to the Fair :biggrin:
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 05:03:25 PM »
One box at a time, hun. Easiest thing to do. Good luck! I look forward to seeing the G1 accessories. ;)
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »
Ohh... a seller in Toronto? I live here as well and will definitely be interested in seeing what you end up selling!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal