collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Custom No-nos  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Dreambaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ask Dream Baker
Custom No-nos
« on: May 23, 2015, 10:00:18 PM »
Ever committed one of the custom no-nos?
I thought we could all share blunders we made when customizing.

I made this custom a while ago and I wanted her to have Glow-hair but all the places were sold out, so I was looking into alternatives. I was eventually convinced that I could paint the hair as long as I brushed it a lot I could get it soft again. So I painted the white hair I had all ready put on the custom with Glow in the Dark fabric paint. You can imagine it got horribly crusty, I ended up having to completely remove all the hair and make the custom with sculpted hair instead.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Currently looking for the "Concerned Pony" fakie

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Custom No-nos
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 11:18:28 PM »
Yep GitD paint does not work like normal paint when it comes to painting things like fabrics and hair.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline wlyteth

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Making a effort to use less exclamation points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:23:49 PM »
Her hair looks amazing though!

My biggest blunder so far is leaving a pony i was giving a FBR to too long in between layers and it got lots of dust suck in it.it was for a swap and had to start over again with a new pony. :(
Sonnet Scroll by Nence

Crocheted and sewn goods Commissions welcome! Instagram: @loftycastlecrafts
Wantlist

Offline Dreambaker

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ask Dream Baker
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 04:06:22 AM »

My biggest blunder so far is leaving a pony i was giving a FBR to too long in between layers and it got lots of dust suck in it.it was for a swap and had to start over again with a new pony. :(
Oh man that is a bummer. I use baby wipes to get the dust off before painting the next layer (if you ever make the mistake again)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 06:14:50 AM »
I split plugs once but it was a perfume puff re-hair and it didn't show. I keep her in my own collection :(
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline wlyteth

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Making a effort to use less exclamation points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 12:10:50 PM »

Oh man that is a bummer. I use baby wipes to get the dust off before painting the next layer (if you ever make the mistake again)
Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try that next time.
Sonnet Scroll by Nence

Crocheted and sewn goods Commissions welcome! Instagram: @loftycastlecrafts
Wantlist

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 10:49:13 PM »
when using sculpley im not very attentive ... i usualy end up  burning  the poor  ponies because im not paying attention . ive also  compleatly melted a few because i walked off to get a coffee or something only to come back to a  bubbling mess of  goo that used to be a pony.

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 01:35:53 AM »
I've melted a bait before in the oven...I was sculpting way too late at night for things to not go wrong.  :cry:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 10:45:57 AM »
I made a pony with a sculpy dress on the body and didn't put the head in the oven as well. Time to put the head on, I found the body had shrunk, and I had to not only cut the neck ring off the head, but trim almost 1/8" (~2mm) off the entire outside of the neck just to get it to line up right. Wound up fabricating a collar for her to hide the damage, but had to use DAS, as I didn't have apoxie sculpt at the time. I still have this pony, too. n__n;;
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Arkseil

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 07:38:29 PM »
I once thought it would be a great idea to rehair a pony with cheap nylon hair from a dollar store witches hat... the stuff was super coarse and ended sticking straight up. It looked pretty awful, haha. I've also done the mismatched head/body thing.

Whoops! It's always nice to know that you're not alone in your silly mistakes :)
<3 Check out my RedBubble shop for G1 Pony designs + other fun things from the 80s & 90s! <3
https://www.redbubble.com/people/PlasticRainbow/explore?asc=u&page=1&sortOrder=recen

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 09:32:48 PM »
she looks amazing, maybe she just wanted that hair instead!
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 03:39:06 AM »
I think most of my blunders are caused by impatience, sloppy thick symbols in particular, or trying to DIY a job when I don't have the proper tools. I've actually been revisiting some of my earlier customs to fix mistakes with newfound skills or completely reinvent/salvage them.

One of my first rehairs I tried to make a Puff Pony with cheap craft wool... add insult to injury she had her neck severed (hacked off) then sloppily glued back on, completely mangling what remained. I had to admit she probably looked better with her original frizzy hair, even though I hated the colour lol. I revisited her years later for a better rehair, did her mane with 3 or 4 donor tails, and gave her a scarf. She's the mum of my herd now, poor Cherry Sweet. :blush:

OH OH, actually there was an incident with a baked pony! I stupidly tried to bake sculpy onto a bait Lily Lightly, at first I was worried that I'd forgotten to take her hoof magnet out and was watching her really closely... I walked away for a minute and when I came back she'd split right open! Her metal battery case (thankfully with batteries removed) had expanded and blown her wide open! I felt like such an idiot, like DUH! :argh: She went in the bin.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 09:05:42 AM »
While removing her head for a rehair, I managed to rip the neck of Italian Surprise. I still feel awful about that.

Offline Dreambaker

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ask Dream Baker
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 06:50:04 AM »
I have another once from back when I first started making customs. I used to glaze mine with clear nail polish (before I found out about sealants) I went to grab a g4 I had painted, and I guess the vinyl had gone soft from warm weather, because when I grabbed it all the paint cracked and fell off in huge flakes.

I was devastated, it was even a commission and I had to completely start over.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »
While removing her head for a rehair, I managed to rip the neck of Italian Surprise. I still feel awful about that.

That's sad, but a lot of Euro collectors say that Italians are really common, so don't feel so bad. I've removed lots G1 of heads for de-rusting and sometimes re-haired them as well. Some would say it's better to leave G1s rusty than risk tearing the neck plug while removing the head, but the rust can discolour the plastic over time so I think it's worth it for common ponies.  One or two I will admit have torn the neck plug to some extent inside, although not where it would show on the outside.  Those ones I will keep forever now since I'm too embarrassed to explain in the listing! But that's OK with me.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal