collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: SUPER simple hair styles for ponies of all sizes?  (Read 556 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
SUPER simple hair styles for ponies of all sizes?
« on: May 18, 2015, 11:17:38 AM »
I openly admit, I'm TERRIBLE at styling pony hair! Almost all of my ponies wind up with the classic pony-braid because I can't really manage anything else! But as I've been considering new ways to display my ponies, I'm recently liking the idea of only displaying four at a time for a clean look with a splash of cute. But of course, this means that the displayed ponies must be in absolute pristine condition (for me anyway, I'm not saying that's how it must be for all collections of course ;) ). And there comes the dreaded hair styling problem again.

So fellow pony collectors, any help? I've tried the curling methods I've found and they never seem to turn out, and straightening only seems to work about half the time.

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: SUPER simple hair styles for ponies of all sizes?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:37:29 AM »
the most basic of style I usually do it the wrap around the leg trick, usually turns out really pretty :D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

all you do is basically when you have wet hair get some dollar store hair elastics put the hair this way and wait a few hours and take them off :D

I'm obviously not the best at it but hey it beats box hair :P

or the one which I acidentally found out and which I call the "almost fluttershy" (not sure if this works on other gens but more than likely if it'll work on g4's

basically do the same exact thing but part the mane in half

let it down

and if it looks bad just flip one of the sides over to make 2 cute little curls

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:57:08 AM by Jordan »

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »
For G1 ponies I always use conditioner for their hair, and when the hair is wet I brush out the tail and mane. Tail gets wrapped around the back leg and secured with a hair clip (butterfly). And the mane gets wrapped under the chin and around the head, wrapped with a paper towel and secured with a bobby pin. They always come out great and its easy for most ponies.

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 12:58:04 PM »
I usually wrap short hair, like on G1 ponies, around their neck while it's sopping wet.  This lets it fall naturally and gives its a cute, slight curl at the ends that looks good on pretty much anything.  For the other gens and tails, I usually wrap it tightly around a leg and let it dry.  It's soooo easy and usually looks very nice!  I've also successfully done curls using a variant of this, but it's a bit more complex the curls looks a bit... crazy.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »
I just make it as straight as possible. I think ponies look prettiest with straight hair.

But for curls, yeah, I'd suggest wrapping it around nearby parts of the pony itself for a start.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »
The methods above have all worked for me, but if the ponies have frizzy hair then more effort is needed.  If there are curls involved then my suggestions would be different again.  Could we see some pics of your intended display girls?

ArtiexXx
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 03:38:39 PM »
The methods above have all worked for me, but if the ponies have frizzy hair then more effort is needed.  If there are curls involved then my suggestions would be different again.  Could we see some pics of your intended display girls?

ArtiexXx

I don't have any photos on hand, but about 90% of my ponies are G3 :) For the most part I try to find ponies in new or like new condition so thankfully it's more a case of really wild hair and not actual damage, but every so often I'll get a pony with some bad frizz, especially the poor babies for some reason. I also have a small handful of G4 fashion styles and they all have SO much hair it's insane!

Thanks so much everyone for your help! I think wrapping their hair around their legs will be a lot easier than the other methods I've tried with straws of tissue paper. As much as I love the look of ringlets I just don't think I have the patience for them!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 05:36:08 PM »
There are several since I can barely style my own hair, let alone a pony's. 

G3s and my lone G4, I like to take some of the mane and let it hang on the side while the rest hangs on the other side.

Plastic hair clips that come in fun shapes for toddler use, like bows, stars, flowers etc. work great for small ponies, i.e. baby ponies, G4s (if I had more then one) sea ponies and presumably Flutters, Wingers, Merponies and SHS ponies. Just slip it through the mane and snap it on. Voila! Cute style with minimum effort.

I like to wrap the tail around the leg for a hint of curl without looking like Shirley Temple.

Braids in the tail are strictly for equines who have incurable frizz...or my BnG girls.

I also be-ribbon their butts. Just find a color you think looks good, tie it in a bow bada bing bada boom your done!

Slipping their tail through their legs without wrapping it makes a nice J-Shape

Hope these help
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 05:59:54 PM »
I really love to style my ponies, but I almost always work from a tutorial or something I find online. Videos often move to quickly for me, but there are some good stills on deviant art. My biggest tip? Try each tutorial 2 or 3 times. It almost never comes out the way I want it on my first attempt, and I always learn something new, find something to tweak, etc. Here are my favorite go-tos for styling:

http://countschlick.deviantart.com/gallery/

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1-PogRRAhhrfT1wfzb-hMgKgbXjtTVZC

Good luck, and when in doubt, just wrap the hair around the pony and let it dry for 24 hours! :biggrin:
ISO UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire, and complete jewelry babies :cool:

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 06:27:24 PM »
Super simple hair style that works for ponies and people: the pixie bob! Just chop off all those long tangly locks and you'll never have a styling nightmare again! I do recommend investing in new barber's sheers though, and not just kid craft scissors. The clean cut makes it worth the price! I suggest mane and tail be no longer than 2 inches on G1-G3 or 1 inch for G4.

:what:

:P Just kidding! Don't cut hair!  :lol: Totally kidding about cutting pony hair. That said, I do think short hairstyles look cute on ponies- I have several G1s with chopped tails and manes that are NOT on my upgrade list, because they look so cute! One is Slugger, a clydesdale right, so his short tail really looks breed appropriate, know what I mean?

Anyhow, don't cut hair, at least not G1s... I suppose G4s it's not such a crime.  :cool:

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 10:18:03 AM »

ArtiexXx

I don't have any photos on hand, but about 90% of my ponies are G3 :) For the most part I try to find ponies in new or like new condition so thankfully it's more a case of really wild hair and not actual damage, but every so often I'll get a pony with some bad frizz, especially the poor babies for some reason. I also have a small handful of G4 fashion styles and they all have SO much hair it's insane!

Thanks so much everyone for your help! I think wrapping their hair around their legs will be a lot easier than the other methods I've tried with straws of tissue paper. As much as I love the look of ringlets I just don't think I have the patience for them!

I found the same thing with G3 babies too! G3s are easiest to style IMO and I think the wrapping around the leg trick looks great for them. If the hair is curly in the first place I sometimes wet it in cool water then coil it around my finger  and then leave the pony on it's side to dry.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 02:24:13 PM »
I am a traditionalist - I love hair styled as it was released so don't ever tend to do anything too fancy.

However, I do adore some straw curls on the ponies that originally had them. Have you tried jupiterlily's tutorial for straw curls? Its perfect and so simple.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal