collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Strange new paypal scam?  (Read 947 times)

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Strange new paypal scam?
« on: May 17, 2015, 08:14:35 PM »
So  i was  goign through my email  and i just noticed last  night that i had    email  that says it was from paypal I  had it pulled up on my ipod.   it said Unauthroized user.   and  it ssays:
dear vaulued cutomer, a   very unususal   activey has  been   dected   on your account.   i did open the   email on my ipod becuae it  doesnt have   any of my paypal ino on it.  incase here was  phishing stuff    or  soemthing on   the email.  I dont ever click  links   or anything. as i dont trust them.

basicaly its saying that soemone  gained  access to  my   account without my consent.  and it says they've restrcted my acess. and telling me i have to follow steps to "get my account back"
i am assuming htis is a  Scam to try to steal my paypal info. 
it  wants me to download an   attachment  and open the file in my  web broswer.

i dont think so..  gesh.   my question has anyone else gotten this  scammy email?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline melon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Strange new paypal scam?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:06:12 PM »
It sounds like a phishing scam. Most if not all official emails from Paypal should address you by your registered name instead of "valued customer".

If you need to check on your account, go directly to paypal.com by typing out the URL into your browser. I do not recommend clicking on the link in the email.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:51:46 PM »
I haven't gotten this one, but I've gotten scam emails that said they were from UPS, the IRS, FedEx and several other big name companies.  Since I knew I hadn't done any business with those particular companies, I reported them. 

When in doubt, type the site in and send a message directly to paypal asking about it under their "contact us" link.  They may even have  a way to report the email.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
i figured it was a scam. and i had no intetions on opening it in my Computer OR  clicking or downloading anyhitng.
i did     promptly go check my paypal    this morning and messaged them. my account is fine ther were no "un expected    acceses" 

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:26:23 AM »
iv had emails like this too, some time back, the first one i got i clicked on it and it was using a lot of the same things on its website as paypal but just somethings were a little off about it, and it was asking me to sign in and i didn't, i felt like they (who ever it was)would then have access to my account to do whatever they wanted.
then 3 or4 weeks ago i kept getting something from paypal saying someones trying to access it, anyways long story short it was ball.

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 05:29:02 AM »
Definitely sounds like another scam. They happen pretty often. You are right not to click on the link or give them any info. you can report it to Paypal . If you want to be 100% that this is a scam though go onto your paypal account directly from the paypal website and check, or contact Paypal as has already been suggested . Thanks for the heads up and I'm glad you didn't fall for the scam :hug:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 06:56:24 AM »
I agree it's a scam. I get things like this all the time and even in the email account where I don't have a paypal account (how does this work???).

Anyways, what you should do is forward the email to: [email protected]

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 08:51:36 AM »
SCAM!!! Anytime anyone asks you to download ANYTHING it's a scam. You can reset your password (don't follow the link. always type in the address you're going to!) but when they ask for all your info and to download anything, then yeah. scam alert for sure!
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 07:08:28 PM »
I have had a ton of these over the years so nothing surprises me.  Emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. A PayPal scam email almost always includes the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member",  so unless your business name or your real name is included in the email, it's a phishing email. Do not fall for it!

Also PayPal emails will never ask you to download an attachment or a software program. An attachment found in a PayPal scam email will often contain a virus that can harm your computer or compromise your PayPal account. Lastly if they do require information from you, they will notify you in an email and request that you enter the information only after you have safely and securely logged in to your PayPal account.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Kamisha

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • No rainbow today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 02:31:59 AM »
PayPal always uses your real name in their emails. Everything else is a scam. I got the same message, but I didn't have an attachment in it, but a link to a site where I had to type my username and password. Yeah...

My Ebay | Like my plushies on Facebook!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal