collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering?  (Read 629 times)

Offline pineapplecupcake

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • "She'll become a crazy cat lady!...Give her time"
    • View Profile
Magic: The Gathering?
« on: May 11, 2015, 09:01:31 PM »
This is a totally random question, but do any of you play Magic: The Gathering? I've scored an interview with Wizards of the Coast for a job in event management, where I would essentially be doing the logistics and event planning for MTG tournaments internationally. However, I'm new to trading card games in general and haven't played MTG before. I do have a lot of experience planning large scale events and am generally pretty nerd-tastic so I feel like it wouldn't be hard for me to get into it.

I'd love to know what the appeal of the game is and what people like/dislike about it or other trading card games. And if you have any experience going to trading card game tournaments, please share! And no worries if you don't play MTG (I don't either) - we can be clueless together!  :lol:
:heart: Thank you to LyraHeartsrtings, Bekuno (adopts) & sunnyrain (avi) :heart:Pineapple Cupcake reference sheet!:heart:

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:10:20 PM »
I play loads of card games magic yu-gi-oh force of will and Pokemon and only have been in small scale tournaments. I prefer to play with me friends! Magic I only play one format commander its easier for me because there isn't any cards you can't use due to being rotated out of the format and you only need one of each card with 100 cards for that format. also its fun pretending to be a commander of an army of dragons! every card game I play I have a dragon deck.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:29:00 PM »
I used to play in MTG tournaments waaaaaaaaaay back in the day(like 1994-1997).  They've changed the rules of how things work so many times since then.  I didn't keep up, so I'm probably not a good reference, but I did participate during the beginning of the whole CCG thing.

I still have all my cards, and I still like to keep an eye open, but I don't play like I used to.  Magic was actually a match made in heaven for me at the time.  I have always been a collector, so that aspect really appealed to me.  I enjoyed the collecting aspect a lot.  And the artwork.  I really liked that as well. But the big draw was the game.  I found it very satisfying when I was able to beat somebody with a deck I designed.  I had a few particularly nasty decks that I'd use in tournaments.  One of the reasons I don't like those preconstructed decks they sell now is because it takes 90% of the fun out of it for me.  I *loved* tinkering with my deck.  There are so many possible ways to go!  There's also a big luck factor involved, but nothing compared to the feeling of beating somebody with a deck I designed.

Now things are a lot more complicated.  There's all sorts of new styles of tournaments, and I just can't keep up with the rules anymore.  Sadly, most of my favorite cards are now illegal in all formats, so there's no real reason for me to go back to the tournaments.  I do miss it a bit.  I was the only girl at most of the tournaments, and I always thought that was kind of cool.  I just don't have the time or the money needed to get back into it seriously, so I just pick up the odd pack of cards at Target when I get the chance.

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 11:36:46 PM »
I used to play in MTG tournaments waaaaaaaaaay back in the day(like 1994-1997).  They've changed the rules of how things work so many times since then.  I didn't keep up, so I'm probably not a good reference, but I did participate during the beginning of the whole CCG thing.

I still have all my cards, and I still like to keep an eye open, but I don't play like I used to.  Magic was actually a match made in heaven for me at the time.  I have always been a collector, so that aspect really appealed to me.  I enjoyed the collecting aspect a lot.  And the artwork.  I really liked that as well. But the big draw was the game.  I found it very satisfying when I was able to beat somebody with a deck I designed.  I had a few particularly nasty decks that I'd use in tournaments.  One of the reasons I don't like those preconstructed decks they sell now is because it takes 90% of the fun out of it for me.  I *loved* tinkering with my deck.  There are so many possible ways to go!  There's also a big luck factor involved, but nothing compared to the feeling of beating somebody with a deck I designed.

Now things are a lot more complicated.  There's all sorts of new styles of tournaments, and I just can't keep up with the rules anymore.  Sadly, most of my favorite cards are now illegal in all formats, so there's no real reason for me to go back to the tournaments.  I do miss it a bit.  I was the only girl at most of the tournaments, and I always thought that was kind of cool.  I just don't have the time or the money needed to get back into it seriously, so I just pick up the odd pack of cards at Target when I get the chance.
unless you used things like black lotus they arnt banned in commander or legacy!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:37:48 AM »
Hubby used to but I never have.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »
Can I give my husband's reasons? I do not play; I don't play anything ever.  But he does and I have asked him why he loves Magic so much.  He has played it from way back when in the 90s and used to compete.  He even had several black lotuses and mox diamonds (which were unfortunately stolen along with ALL his cards by someone in 2000).

He said he loves it because he can construct intelligent decks that can compete or just be silly and fun.  He has an odd sense of how to gameplay, so he likes creating decks that are not normal.  He wants to win, but he wants to do it in unexpected and funny ways.  Magic allows him to play around like that. 

He also likes it because luck is minimal.  There is a bit of the "luck of the draw" involved, but he says the game is way more about your skill at play and crafting the deck design. 

He also takes great pleasure in designing decks for his friends.  And he enjoys that he can play a game like this with his friends and it is not too long nor too basic. 

He does like the artwork and there are some cards he has just because they are cool.  I think the idea of some cards being rare is fun to him, but since all his really old stuff was stolen he doesn't care about collectability.  You can't play the cards he had anymore anyway, and he probably wouldn't want to use the really powerful ones anyway because crushing an opponent easily isn't as engaging as trying to kill them with whatever weird strategy he's come up with. 

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:30:14 AM »
There is actually an App for iphone or android that explains how to play Magic and takes you through the basics- it is a little slow but MUCH easier than learning on your own or with youtube tutorials...

I think you had better learn to play fast!  It used to be that Wizards would only hire people (copywriters, lawyers, event planners, etc.) familiar with their products-  although maybe that has changed.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 10:32:29 AM »
In highscool, yes.  I need to get it online at some point too :)

Im not sure why I like it--its just addicting.  Might be the fantasy element?

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 11:20:55 AM »
There is actually an App for iphone or android that explains how to play Magic and takes you through the basics- it is a little slow but MUCH easier than learning on your own or with youtube tutorials...

I think you had better learn to play fast!  It used to be that Wizards would only hire people (copywriters, lawyers, event planners, etc.) familiar with their products-  although maybe that has changed.

Galactica, you happen to remember the app name? I've been slowly easing back into Magic and I am hopelessly lost. The app would be very helpful for me.

Offline pineapplecupcake

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 12:55:28 PM »

Galactica, you happen to remember the app name? I've been slowly easing back into Magic and I am hopelessly lost. The app would be very helpful for me.

I think I found it in the Google Play store under "Magic 2015" :D I am downloading it now, many thanks for the suggestion Galactica!

All of this feedback is really helpful! I'm learning a lot just reading this thread and doing a bunch of online research. I also went to my local board game place last night and had one of their dudes teach me the basics. I literally just asked constant questions for two hours, haha! Fun fact: apparently back in the day MTG was broadcast on ESPN 2! Who knew!
:heart: Thank you to LyraHeartsrtings, Bekuno (adopts) & sunnyrain (avi) :heart:Pineapple Cupcake reference sheet!:heart:

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »
This probably doesn't count, but I assembled hundreds of them, and I folded thousands of boxes for 'em. XD

At the factory where I work we used to get huge orders for them until last year, in every language you can think of. We got Russian boxes, German, English, French, Chinese, Polish, Italian... I can't see them anymore. :dizzy: :P
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:45:19 PM by Regenveertje »

He knows that they're the fool...

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 02:56:05 PM »
This probably doesn't count, but I assembled hundreds of them, and I folded thousands of boxes for 'em. XD

At the factory where I work we used to get huge orders for them until last year, in every language you can think of. We got Russian boxes, German, English, French, Chinese, Polish, Italian... I can't see them anymore. :dizzy: :P

That's pretty cool! But can also see how you would not want to go near one ever again! :p

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 03:07:04 PM »
Ha yes, it was an endless stream of them! I'm not familiar with the game, but I did like the look of (some of) them, they certainly were a lot more fun to work with than the boxes of shoe shine we often get. XD
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:09:04 PM by Regenveertje »

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 05:38:20 PM »
I only played a little with hubby, because he wanted to try a new deck he had built - I was using one of his other decks. I kicked his butt, twice. :P The group at lunch played a lot (apparently that table at our high school is still the gaming table). But I do like the artwork on the cards.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline pineapplecupcake

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »
I only played a little with hubby, because he wanted to try a new deck he had built - I was using one of his other decks. I kicked his butt, twice. :P The group at lunch played a lot (apparently that table at our high school is still the gaming table). But I do like the artwork on the cards.
Yeah, the artwork is surprisingly awesome. I love that they are so creative with the creatures, and I've spent the last day or so admiring all the "land" cards while I've been learning how to play the game!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal