collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: what do you consider bait?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
what do you consider bait?
« on: May 11, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »
As I browse auctions on ebay I come across ponies that are listed as bait but to me they look really nice and still deserve to be loved as they are. of coarse I have a up up and away without an ear and missing part of her hoof but I am considering making a cast for her hoof and ear. the onething I can't stand is symbol loss. what doyou consider bait?

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: what do you consider bait?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 06:55:09 PM »
I've noticed that on ebay too.  I think some people think if the pony is dirty or beat up than it is bait.

It varies from pony to pony.  Flaws that I might consider make a g3 Pinkie Pie bait I wouldn't consider making a Mimic bait.  The rarer it is, the more flaws I am willing to accept.

I agree that symbol loss is the worst.  The symbols are like the essence of the pony so when they lose them they seem empty.

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 07:03:44 PM »
I've noticed that on ebay too.  I think some people think if the pony is dirty or beat up than it is bait.

It varies from pony to pony.  Flaws that I might consider make a g3 Pinkie Pie bait I wouldn't consider making a Mimic bait.  The rarer it is, the more flaws I am willing to accept.

I agree that symbol loss is the worst.  The symbols are like the essence of the pony so when they lose them they seem empty.
I know exactly what you mean my nightglider has 2 bites but I'm really happy with her cuz shed be hard to get otherwise.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:13:03 PM »
Maybe the sellers on eBay just prefer to err on the side of caution so no one expects really nice ponies and ends up disappointed?   :huh:

Never really thought about it this way but this seems to be how I feel too.

I also think any kind of significant body discoloration pretty much relegates a pony to the bait box, esp a common pony.  If the discoloration can't be fixed by sunfading, and looks awful, what else can ya do?
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »
I agree, I think as a seller, I would list as baity and flawed, so the buyer isn't disappointed, if anything they end up being pretty happy if the pony can be restored with just a bath an some hair TLC.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 07:16:19 PM »
discoloeration is also a large thing if its noticable I dont mind spots soo much though

Post Merge: May 11, 2015, 07:17:51 PM

I agree, I think as a seller, I would list as baity and flawed, so the buyer isn't disappointed, if anything they end up being pretty happy if the pony can be restored with just a bath an some hair TLC.
I understand this but honestly Id rather have something listed as flawed so I'm no looking for some terrible dysfunction! lol
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 07:17:51 PM by egyptiondragon »

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 07:18:55 PM »
tbh I've gotten some REALLY nice ponies some would consider bait, like my Peachy. her cutie marks might be nearly the color of her body but I display my older gens from the front, shes' really cute :3
or my Moondancer which the seller listed the problems with her and I really can't find any from a not too picky g1 collector's perspective

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 07:21:01 PM »

Yup, as a small time seller I can't afford a negative feedback because the buyer was disappointed with the condition of the pony.  I'll either list every flaw it has or just list it as bait.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 07:47:17 PM »

myself, it has to be missing a limb , head or chunks of hair.

:)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 08:50:45 PM »
bad haircuts, lotsa pvc breakdown, mold, chewed up, severe marks of other kinds, symbols/eyes/blush so faded you can barely see it. I've gotten some mighty nice ponies for a good price that were ahem "baity" with only a few flaws. I think my worst ones were a Sweet Stuff with pvc breakdown and a mane cut, a Chief for daughter who has yellowing but was otherwise nice and my Bunny Hop who is missing her symbol entirely and has some a faint pink spot but is still such a bright white otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:54:22 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 12:31:42 AM »
I agree, I wouldn't bait a pony unless she had bad haircuts and serious marks, and maybe chew damage too.  There are plenty of collectors who would appreciate ponies with acceptable flaws.  And there are plenty of truly baity ponies who could get a new life as customs.  The truly baity ones should be left to the customizers, and flawed ones should be restored or just accepted as they are.  I hate to see ponies in good/decent condition used as bait!

And I've also gotten some really nice ponies that were described as bait.  All they needed was a quick clean, no major restorations.  I recently got a NM Firefly with nothing but a tiny streak of nail polish on her chest that came right off!  She was only $5 shipped.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 01:00:48 AM »
I agree, I wouldn't bait a pony unless she had bad haircuts and serious marks, and maybe chew damage too.  There are plenty of collectors who would appreciate ponies with acceptable flaws.  And there are plenty of truly baity ponies who could get a new life as customs.  The truly baity ones should be left to the customizers, and flawed ones should be restored or just accepted as they are.  I hate to see ponies in good/decent condition used as bait!

And I've also gotten some really nice ponies that were described as bait.  All they needed was a quick clean, no major restorations.  I recently got a NM Firefly with nothing but a tiny streak of nail polish on her chest that came right off!  She was only $5 shipped.
NICE!

Offline thecakeissisley

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 04:34:10 AM »
To me a bait pony is:
-one that has no mane or tail or has a buzzcut
-one that has large marks/stains that cannot be removed and are just sticking out (faint marks are okay, I usually don't even notice them!)
-one that has missing parts (horns, wings, legs, ears, whatever you can imagine)
-one whose eye paint is badly messed up (symbol fading/loss is acceptable because it's quite common for G1s)

Of course my G3 standards are a bit higher, but then again I haven't really seen many bait G3s, except ones with many marks or cut hair.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 05:09:28 AM »
To me, they usually have to be in really poor condition, as others have described, at least, if they're G1. As for selling them, I get the concern about picky buyers, but yes, I have listed all the flaws before. If that's too much work or if selling as a lot, why not just say "All ponies have flaws/noticeable flaws/are not perfect" rather than call them "bait", which implies they're entirely undesirable as-is and suitable for crafts, not collecting?

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 05:17:04 AM »
Personally, I consider bait anything I can't repair on my own (sunburn, chopped hair, missing limbs or major gouges) and that frustrates me to the point where I can't enjoy the pony (stubbornly frizzy hair, rubbed away eyes, abundant chew marks, etc). I agree that people can sometimes be quick to bait a perfectly good pony, but then again it is their choice. I just see it as a bit of a shame.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal