collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay won't let me buy  (Read 702 times)

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Ebay won't let me buy
« on: May 09, 2015, 05:08:10 AM »
I didn't even know this is possible, but I was just trying to buy facial cream from Ebay (Thailand) and when I was trying to pay for it I got a warning instead which stated that I can't buy the product because I'm registered with Ebay UK and the cream has an ingredient which apparently is 'prescription only' in EU. That stuff is over-the-counter in US so it's not like I was trying to buy uranium or something like that. :blink:
Is this a new thing or what the heck? And is there a way to get around it somehow..? :P
Thanks to Mandy85 for my avatar

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
Re: Ebay won't let me buy
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 12:44:01 PM »
Never come across that one before! Maybe have someone with a U.S. account make the purchase, but have it shipped to you?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »
Is it genuinely a controlled substance? Just because if you do try to import it and customs investigate it, it might get seized  :huh: It's rare, as people obviously get away with importing things that are technically not allowed, but might be a hassle for you, and it'd suck if you paid for it only for it to be destroyed.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 03:16:48 PM »
Never come across that one before! Maybe have someone with a U.S. account make the purchase, but have it shipped to you?
That would probably work, so if someone outside EU is willing to help, let me know. The item costs $7.60 and shipping is free, seller has 100% positive feedback.

The stuff is sold over the counter outside EU, over here you apparently need a prescription for it (didn't before EU). The ingredient is hydroquinone. I doubt they'd be interested in it at the customs, my ex keeps ordering random 'dietary supplements' and they are never checked (and even I  would think they're suspicious!). Obviously I would do it at my own risk, they would just keep it and I'd be out of 6€, which is not that bad.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 05:07:47 AM »
Ebay is covering itself, because if it allows you to bid on something technically controlled in the country where you live, it can be prosecuted/sued, especially if something like that was bought and something bad happened as a result. I don't think they're wrong in stopping your account from bidding, because it could be a legal issue for them if they didn't put those restrictions on.

I did some reading on this because it seemed like an interesting subject. Apparently the reason it's banned in the EU is that it's been linked to higher likelihood of cancer and leukaemia (having spent 20 years living with someone with leukaemia, I would avoid it like the plague just at the mention of it, but the FDA have apparently not found proof it happens in people. It does reduce melanin, so it increases the risk of skin cancer as well. I did find one reference, too, that might make you think about it in a different way.

Apparently some South East Asian creams formulated with this stuff also contain mercury, which, obviously, is poisonous. If you really want to pursue acquiring this kind of cream, you probably would do better getting it direct from the US. But, it would be at your own import risk. I wouldn't be surprised if Customs did pick it up and destroyed it on entry. If it's been banned in the EU, Australia and Japan because of the risks associated with it, I imagine customs are well used to people trying to ship it in from outside.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 07:31:36 AM »
^It is not banned, just prescription only. I have done research on what I was trying to buy, so I am aware that it is suspected to be carsinogenic.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal